Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carecooks_gw

Need Arlosmom

carecooks
14 years ago

Hi,

I've been trying to find pictures of your Costco cupboard solution and they've all been deleted. Is there any chance that you can repost them?

Comments (28)

• arlosmom
    14 years ago

Here you go. I know this solution isn't for stuff you need all the time, but it's great for the seldom-used items (i.e. turkey roaster) or stock-up items. I just went to Costco this morning, so I stored five of the six boxes of ziploc bags and 11 of the 12 rolls of paper towels I brought home.

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• carecooks
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much. I'm considering buying a Magic Corner I, but I understand that they are really pricy. This looks like a great alternative in case. I was thinking that I could put a couple of big pots (pressure cooker, pasta pot) where you have your pepsi in the picture. Then it would be easy to take them out to get to the pull-outs. I have about a 16" space for the door and 24" more in the blind cabinet section. Do your pull-outs come out all of the way or do you have to reach a little in the back to get stuff? I don't think that an 8" reach would be a big deal, but what do you think? Also, could your pull-outs handle heavy pots and pans?

• arlosmom
    14 years ago

Hi carecooks!

The sliders measure 21" from the front edge of the slider to the back. My cabinet is 20" wide with a 17" door, plus the 24" for the blind cabinet section. When the sliders are all the way extended, they are almost fully exposed (but my cabinet is 4" wider than yours will be, so yours might be 4" less exposed if you also have inset cabinets. If you have frameless cabinets your opening will be the full 16"). When my sliders are all the way in, they sit about 3" back into the blind space. Does that make sense? I never pull everything out of the cabinet to get to stuff on the sliders (the photo below is the only time I've pulled everything out, LOL), so I'm always reaching in a foot or so. I don't think it's a big deal at all. I had the sides of the sliders scooped out so I could reach thing more easily.

If you keep only a few large, easy-to-move items where my pepsi is, I don't think you'll be bothered by having to remove a pot to slide the slider out. And yes, my pullouts could easily handle heavy pots and pans. They are the same kind of pullouts on the same sliding mechanisms that you would have in a normal cabinet.

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• carecooks
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Arlosmom,

That info was perfect! I think that your solution will work just fine for me, probably even better than a Magic Corner. I'm going to have frameless cabinets so I'll have that last little bit of room. Just a couple more questions on the subject. I'd love to know the distances between...the bottom drawer and the floor, the bottom drawer and the top drawer and the top drawer to the top of the cabinet. Just trying to figure out what I might be able to fit in height-wise. I'm going to have standard height cabinets. Once again, many thanks for measuring.

• arlosmom
    14 years ago

carecooks, I'm glad to help.

From the floor of the cabinet to the bottom of the lower slider: 1 1/4 inch
    From the floor of the lower slider to the bottom of the upper slider: 9 1/4 inches
    From the floor of the upper slider to the bottom of the drawer above: 10 1/2 inches

I'm not certain about this, but in the back of my mind I think I remember my cabinet designer telling me the sliders were adjustable (I've never tried because I like the heights as they are). If you look at the first photo with the sliders all the way in you can see the thin vertical piece with the holes. Regardless, I'll bet they could place the sliders at specific heights if you requested it.

• arlosmom
    14 years ago

I was curious about the pricing for the Magic Corner so I just looked at them online. A couple of things I noticed: they require a minimum door opening of 19 1/2", so you might not have the clearance for one if you are planning a 16" door. Also, the part that slides back into the blind cabinet is only about 15 1/2" square (~240 sq. inches per shelf). The inside measurements of each of my sliders is 17 1/2" by 19" (332 sq. inches per slider). Just food for thought...

• carecooks
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Arlosmom,

I think that you looked at the measurements for Magic Corner II which is actually a better solution than Magic Corner 1 (because II can take more weight than I). However, Magic Corner I will allow a door of 16". Still, you are absolutely correct that your solution will give me more actual storage space. And I'm quite sure that it's much less expensive, even though like you I don't know the exact pricing for Magic Corner I.

The main thing is that I have a smallish kitchen and I hate, hate, hate wasting space with a blind corner. I don't mind moving a couple of pots to get to the sliders but I also know from experience that out-of-sight out-of-mind is really true.

Have a great day!

• Gena Hooper
    14 years ago

This is such a creative solution! We have one base corner. I've been weighing all the different options (none of them perfect). This looks wonderful. So it is basically two pullouts installed sideways?

• carecooks
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Arlosmom,

Just thought of one last thing. How do you clean it? If the drawers are longer than the door opening how do you get them off of the glides to clean underneath?

• arlosmom
    14 years ago

pickle2, that's exactly what it is.

carecooks, how dirty do you expect it to get? It's inside a closed cabinet with a slider that sits pretty close to the floor of the cabinet. To be honest, I haven't even thought about cleaning back there, but here's how I guess I'd go about it: slide the top slider all the way in; extend the bottom slider all the way out; stick the vacuum cleaner hose back there and vacuum the back spaces; slide the bottom slider back in and vacuum what I could reach from the front. I think I could also wiggle my fingers underneath with a swiffer to get any hard-to-reach places. Should I be embarrassed that I don't clean under there? Hmmm...

• arlosmom
    14 years ago

OK, I just tried it. Top slider all the way in, bottom slider all the way out. I had no trouble reaching the back corners of the cupboard with a damp paper towel. Relieved to find almost no dirt/dust at all. I can reach every square inch of the cabinet floor with the combination of slider in and slider out.

• carecooks
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Actually, no one would ever consider me a clean freak. My mother's nickname was Mrs. Lysol and I kinda of went in the opposite direction. So don't worry about that. I'll be putting pots and pans in there so I don't expect much dirt. However, I just experienced a major ant invasion from that area (although I'm hoping that the kitchen remodel will take care of the entryways for the little pests) and needed to get into the back to clean up. It's not a big deal but I thought that I would ask. I feel a little guilty that I got you to work back there after how nice you've been.

• User
    14 years ago

Ohhhh I sure wish I had seen this when I was trying to find a solution to my blind corner ! See the pics I did for ttodd...well if I ever have the pullouts under the cooktop redone I now know for sure what I will do in that corner. Great idea arlosmom !! c

• arlosmom
    14 years ago

Hey carecooks, I just had a thought. Artemis78 is also looking at her options for a blind corner and I made a couple of suggestions for improving my solution. Then I was just upstairs making my bed and it hit me! I'll bet a cabinet maker could install an undermount full extension pullout on the floor of the cabinet perpendicular to my sliders. Then you don't need to empty the cabinet. You just pull out the one pullout and you have easy access to the sliders. What do you think?

• carecooks
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am trying to imagine it. It's a possibility but I just don't see that working as well as just moving out the items. The way the Magic Corner works is that the shelves that are being moved are attached to the door. You open the door and they are moved out of the way so that you have complete access to the inside drawers. If you do a floor pull-out with stuff on it, how do you reach over or through that stuff to get to the things on the inside. You can take them off of the pull-out which sort of defeats the purpose of having it. My current idea is to put a large pasta pot and my pressure cooker in that area. They are large but relatively light and wouldn't be difficult to move.

There is one scenario that I can imagine (and maybe more that others can) where it would be useful. I currently have some ideas for where to put my big honking KA stand mixer and one was to put it in that open space in the blind cabinet. But I thought that it would be pain to lift out the heavy mixer every time that I wanted to get at something inside. If I could pull it out from the cabinet it would be much easier and I might even be able to reach around it to get at the pull-out shelves.

It is something to think about. When I get to the point of actually talking to my cabinet maker/GC I'll run it past him. I'm getting closer and closer every day.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

tinycastles put the slide outs in the dead area plus a swing out attached to the inside wall of the cabinet. that's another option.

Here is a link that might be useful: tinycastles thread

• carecooks
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Desertsteph,

That's an interesting solution. Not sure what kind of weight the swing out could hold but it adds storage space and allows access to the pull outs. Thanks.

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

Love these great ideas for the blind corners! I have two of them in my office and think they would be a great idea to store old stuff that you just don't know what to do with!

In my kitchen I have a lazy susan but I don't really like those. The sliding and swinging options are awesome!

• theresse
    14 years ago

I need Arlosmom too, but for another reason! Arlosmom, if you're reading this, I was told I should see a picture of your kitchen faucet. Can you post it for me somehow or send me a link to it? Thank you!

• nutherokie_gw
    14 years ago

Here's a photo of Arlosmom's sink that I saved. It's one of my all-time favorites. Hope she doesn't mind.

• arlosmom
    14 years ago

nutherokie, I don't mind. I'm flattered that you like my sink. : )

theresse, here is a sideview picture of my faucet:

{{!gwi}}

We ordered it online from Baths From the Past, and now that we have it we're happy with it. But I have to tell you the whole ordering process was way beyond painful. I believe this is the body of a faucet from Chicago faucets (see jgarner's kitchen on the fkb; she has the unaltered Chicago wall mount faucet although I'm not sure there is a good sideview of hers) that BFTP customized with a gooseneck spout. When I ordered it, we talked about all the measurements and I took detailed notes -- the height of the gooseneck, the projection, etc. I ordered it in polished nickel. It took at least two months and half a dozen phone calls before I received a faucet (I think the polished nickel finish slowed them down) and then what they sent had an ENORMOUS gooseneck spout. I mean truly goofy big. After several phone calls and maybe another month they sent the spout you see in the picture and my plumber switched it out. Luckily, I did my ordering way in advance so this didn't slow us down, but by the end we were cutting it very close. This may have been an isolated problem. We had previously ordered our powder room faucet, also custom and polished nickel, and they delivered quickly and perfectly.

I'm attaching a link to their online catalog with a faucet very similar to mine. It's bottom row center, but mine has the non-offset handles from the faucet next to it. I guess that's the upside of customization.

Here is a link that might be useful: my faucet from BFTP

• Orrin77
    12 years ago

Hi,

I know this is an old thread, but am hoping Arlosmom and desertsteph may see this.
    Arlosmom -
    We love your blind corner Costco solution and are planning to use it. We would like to know if the rollouts were custom made or if they are available pre-made. The ones you used seem perfect for that application, with the combination of the low sides (actually the front as you reach in) for maximum access, plus the high end that looks like a finished drawer front.

desertsteph -
    We may also use the swing outs you posted earlier in this thread, but have been unable to locate them online. Do you happen to know who makes that type in wood? We like the look of those much better than the metal or chrome types we have found.

Thanks!

• Orrin77
    12 years ago

Arlosmom -
    Would help if I read the whole thread :). I just saw this.

"I had the sides of the sliders scooped out so I could reach thing more easily."

Sounds like you used standard rollouts, and had them modified by the installers..?

• Gemcap
    9 years ago

Arlosmom - could you be kind enough to repost the pictures of your Costco cupboard solution if there are any in addition to this.

Arlos mom's Cabinets.

Many thanks

This post was edited by gemcap on Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 14:37

• arlosmom
    9 years ago

hi gemcap, I'm not on garden web that much these days, so it's lucky I saw this.

What other pictures would you like to see of the cabinet? We actually sold the house about a month ago so I can't take any new pictures for you, but I'm happy to see if I have old photos that would help you if I knew what you were looking for.

• Gemcap
    9 years ago

I'm not on garden web that much these days, so it's lucky I saw this. That's lucky then.
    Re photos, I've seen the closed, half open and open stages of the Costco shelves ; I am looking to get a sense of dimension so if could you help on height / depth of drawers/ trays, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks

• arlosmom
    9 years ago

Looked this morning for other photos that might be helpful, but didn't really find any. The lower of the two rollouts was about an inch from the bottom of the cabinet and the other was at the halfway point. The front face was about 3 1/2" tall and the sides were scooped down to about 1 1/2" or 2" tall. They filled the width of the cabinet, so about 24" less the space that the glides required. They were full-extension into the cavity, so 24" long. Does that help?

• Gemcap
    9 years ago

Thanks so much arlosmom . Yes that does help. I was leaning towards ready made corner solutions but with a 28 inch deep corner, there's going to be a lot of wasted space (horizontal and vertical) if I go with 2 shelf solutions. My current thinking is about having a pull out cabinet on wheels for the "vertical part" of the blind corner (where I will store regularly used items) and full extension roll out trays in the "horizontal part" to store rarely used items.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm