Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White appliances...white cabinets ok?

Posted by cindee56 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 14:04

Hi everyone. I want to do white or off white cabinets in our new home. I don't want stainless OR black appliances. Has anyone done white cabinets with white appliances?? Any photos would be wonderful:) thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White appliances...white cabinets ok?

I have glossy white cabinets, the fridge and oven are white. Dishwasher and micro are built in. The fridge is a bear, to big and needs to go .But we will get another one white in it's place when we find the money. I have had this kitchen for 4 1/2 year and still love it. Would do it again in a heart beat.

This post was edited by ice1 on Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 15:04

o

Ice1, your kitchen is beautiful. What are the cabinets?

o

They are glossy white. Dont know what the material realy is. We are in Iceland and they were shipped over from Lithuania and in real I don't care. They are 4 1/2 years old and have not chipped at all, we are empty nesters with 5 grandchildren so the house gets a lot of wear and tear.

o

I have all white appliances with white cabinets. I tried to find the best picture that showed them all. Dishwasher left of sink on left of picture. Stove straight on, microwave above stove. Fridge on right. I personally don't like when the appliances contrast the cabinets. It's definitely ok - especially if that's what you like!

o

Deb52899 - How do you like your corner sink? Any regrets? How big is it and how big is the spacer cab between it and the DW? (I think I see a cab there)

I think that's the best option for my layout, but so many people are very anti-corner.

o

Just something you might think about. I wanted white/white also, but when I tried to match the white cabinets to the appliances, it made them look discolored because the appliances were so stark. I changed my mind because I did not like that look.....so instead, went with pearl cabinets and SS appliances in my new build and love them......although the jury is still out on how easy they will be to maintain. It will be only me in the kitchen and I am older...no small children to worry about little hand prints....so resale purposes, I bit the bullet and went with SS.

o

I think white appliances look really good with painted cabinets, like grey or yellow...sometimes, but not always, it can be a bit too much white to mix white appliances with white cabs. Plus hard to match. I did have that in my old kitchen, though. I think the hardwood floors helped to "ground" it.

o

Start googling white kitchens with white appliances, check Houzz etc. I think it can be fine. I have a friend who did it and her kitchen looks great.
The trick is to have them either match or be different enough so that it looks like you are layering different whites.
Why it is tricky is that you if not done right, your cabinets can look dingy.

o

I did this is my prior remodel, 16 years ago. The cabinet finish, paint and caulk wear at different (faster) rates than the metal and paints used on the appliances. Thus, mixing similar shades of white at the initial start was no problem. But today, you can see the age differences. Also today, two of six original appliances have been replaced, and the difference here is even more stark.

o

Chiefy - I love my corner sink. I had one in my prior kitchen too. I love looking out the windows while I'm standing at the sink. In the prior house, I reconfigured the kitchen and made it a corner sink. When we walked into this house, it was one of the things that helped know the house was "the one." The cabinet between the sink and dishwasher is 15". It's plenty of room so the sink cabinet door doesn't come into contact with the dishwasher door and vice versa. The sink is a Blanco equal double bowl silgranit. I'm not sure the size, but here's the link: http://www.blancoamerica.com/c3/blanco_usa/_www/en/pub/products/product_portfolio/portfolio_catalog_sinks.cfm?fuseaction=c.articledetail&strukturid=1268778299944&artikelnummer=440185. It says minimum 36" cabinet. My sink base cabinet is either 42 or 48 (I can't read the number on the layout).

Sorry - I just found the dimensions of the sink. 32x19.25".

This post was edited by deb52899 on Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 8:35

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here