Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is 23 " wide upper cabinet door too wide?

Posted by geomeg (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 14:04

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to decide between 2 options for the upper corner in my L shaped kitchen..

One option is piano hinged doors at 11" each approx.
The other option is a blind corner and the door would be almost 23" wide.

How wide is too wide? It is a very small kitchen..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is 23 " wide upper cabinet door too wide?

I'd want the hinged version for better access. Would you feel like you had to back up when opening a 23" door to avoid hitting yourself in the face?

o

Don't do a 23" door. My 24" uppers have single doors, and at 21" wide, they are one of the things I can't wait to replace! They're very much in my face when opening and closing them, so awkward to use.

I'd go for the piano hinge style. : )

o

Does the "piano hinge" just mean "hinged?" We have a hinged corner cab that is great. 23" sounds crazy.

o

I am worried that it may just be to wide.

I guess another option would be to keep the blind corner but maybe have a smaller door and add a cabinet door. (if that makes sence)

I'm not sure I like how piano doors open either...

o

Yes it means hinged , lol I don't know why I call it piano hinged...

Thanks for the picture, I'm really stuck on this decision...

o

What do you plan to store in the corner? If it's prettier things, maybe open display would work better, and you could skip the door(s) all together.

o

Gosh, I love my corner cabinet (which is much like drbeanie's).

I also have a cab (not in a corner) that is 24-3/8" wide. I opted to put two ~12" doors on it.

o

Oh, and this is what it looks like when closed.

o

I agree with laughable. I have a 24" upper that has a 21.5" door. Always seems to require a step back when opening, or leaning to the side to not hit my head when opening.

HTH,
tmy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here