Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
achauer_gw

In search of the right sink for me

achauer
10 years ago

I am trying to figure out the best kitchen sink choice for my needs, desires, and budget.

Needs (have to be fulfilled):
1. A sturdy surface that won't require babying. My husband does most of the dishes and has no interest in treating the sink with kid gloves to prevent chipping.

2. Double bowls - another demand from my dishwasher, he likes to fill one with soapy water and one with clean water.

Desires (wishes, not demands - open to change):
1. Undermounting - I would really like to be able to clean the counter without jamming crud into the sink rim.

2. Apron front - I like the look and feel like it fits well with my vintage O'Keefe & Merritt stove.

3. White - see above, stove is white porcelain. The countertops will be zinc.

Budget:
The sink should cost less than $1000, preferably closer to $500.

If they weren't so expensive, I would go for a Kohler Hawthorne. I am intrigued by the Mitrani quartz, but would want to see it in person. Any other options I should consider?

Comments (11)

• mom2samlibby
    10 years ago

There are several here in your price range. I haven't installed mine yet, so I can't speak to chipping issues, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinks

• achauer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the link! In searching the forums here I have seen a few people mention fireclay sinks chipping easily. I'm used to the sturdiness of the cast iron American Standard that came with the house, and will have to figure out how the fireclay compares.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

You will be babying a white sink to a degree. I had a white porcelain sink for 15 years...it would stain and I always had to clean it with bleach.

I don't have personal experience with apron front sinks, but I have heard they can scratch easily...belt buckles, zippers, etc...

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

achauer:

I've done warranty work for a major solid surface manufacturer and they always sent Staron brand solid surface sinks as replacements. I've seen many different sinks in my day; these are impressive. They also meet your needs of resistance to chipping (much more so than porcelain) although they will "bruise" but not dent like stainless steel. Scratches (and light "bruises") are easily sanded away. I suppose you could under mount it to the zinc top without a lip to catch crud too. A double bowl in white is available, but I'd get the 60/40 and all are in your price range.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinks

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 23:25

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

achauer:

If you're set on stainless steel and want the sink under mounted without a lip or reveal I'd recommend the Karran Edge 550. It's a work of art, yet still in your price range.

Here is a link that might be useful: Edge

• achauer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@joaniepoanie: Sink bleaching doesn't bother me - in fact, I've always been pleased by how easily it removes stains and scuffs.

@Trebuchet: Very helpful links! I will investigate one of the dealers listed in the Los Angeles area. My heart is pretty set on the zinc counter :)

• achauer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So, to follow up, here's what I ended up doing:

I visited the Mitrani, uh, headquarters? in the USA (a small, nondescript business park/strip mall location in Woodland Hills, CA) so that I could see the "titan quartz" composite in person. My husband and I spoke with the very friendly company rep, now living on a ranch outside of LA after moving from a ranch in the Golan Heights. I fondled all the sinks, and decided that the slick finish of the fireclay was many times more appealing to me than the matte silgranite.

We were offered a price of $750 for the double bowl, but I wanted to do a bit more research. On Ebay I found the same sink selling for $670 with free shipping (coming from, interestingly enough, Woodland Hills). I bought it on Tuesday, and it arrived on Thursday in superb condition. Mission accomplished!

• achauer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got their Tuscan double bowl model.

• wags848
    10 years ago

Love it! I like that it's reversible & you can choose between the fluted & non-fluted side.

• B Fritsche
    10 years ago

I just bought that exact same sink off ebay today! I had the same criteria as you, so I'm glad you like it! I can't wait for mine to get here! :)