Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robotropolis

Will it look ok to set my faucet off center?

robo (z6a)
10 years ago

Hi all!

I was planning to set my faucet (Delta trinsic) off center.

If centered, I will have to reach around it to use the handle of my awning window, which I will find mildly annoying. There's no issue with operation (awning handle will not hit faucet).

Around the sink is so symmetrical that I'm not sure it's going to look ok off center. Wwyd?

See below for how it looks centered. Well, kinda centered and being held up by painter's tape. I hope this picture shows right side up for you.

Ps I have one orange, one black, and one grey and white cat, so my kitchen REALLY matches my pets!

This post was edited by robotropolis on Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 14:02

Comments (25)

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

Well, it DOES look good centered! You do have some nice symmetry going on there ... even the tree outside is centered in your window. Have you tried taking a pic of the faucet taped up off-center?

While I would also find it mildly annoying to reach behind to use the awning window mechanism, I'd find the faucet being off-center more annoying. If you aren't a stickler for symmetry (and it sounds like you're not), I don't think it would look bad.

I have the same faucet ... centered. :-)

Cute kitty!!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

It will look fine off-center, just make sure it's enough to look deliberate.

• bluetea57
    10 years ago

I know my sink is a double bowl to your single, but we also have the symmetry of two windows, two bowls, two light fixtures with the Trinsic faucet off center to it all and I think that it looks fine. Your faucet head will be moved and rotated during use so the angle will never be perfectly centered anyway. I think it will look great and your kitchen will be easier to use, so install for your comfort and enjoy!

• jakuvall
    10 years ago

Once - the clients preferred layout put the faucet 3/8" off center. I showed her this and asked if it would be okay? "Oh, no, I couldn't possibly tolerate that!!" she left and I set about revisions. An hour later she called, had changed her mind. Turns out the faucet in her existing kitchen layout was 3" off, had been that way for over a decade and she had not noticed.

• vedazu
    10 years ago

Agree--will look fine off center....

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

jakavuli, you should have seen my cab company when I asked them to center sink on wall, not below window (for functionality reasons). There is honestly less than 1" in the difference. Especially without a center thingy (mullion? stile?) in the window, no one including me will EVER NOTICE. But they acted like it was the craziest thing they ever heard of. Still managed to get it 1/4" off but whatevs.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! When I take my next schoolwork break I'll tape it up where I'm thinking (1/3 in from left).

This post was edited by robotropolis on Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 16:18

• feisty68
    10 years ago

I would want the faucet centered *on the window* and wouldn't care if there was an associated inconvenience. Your kitchen does have a lovely simplicity and symmetry and IMO it's worth keeping it.

This post was edited by feisty68 on Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 16:24

• Iowacommute
    10 years ago

I like symmetry but sometimes symmetry starts to look like a face. Your centered faucet look like a nose for the window so I would off center it. :)

• sena01
    10 years ago

I would prefer it off center. I personally find too much symmetry boring.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Do what works for you.
    Ours is off center - I struggled with this as well but glad I went off center

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's what I was thinking.....1/3 of the way in??

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

Robo, if your faucet were to swing all the way to the left, would the stream of water still land in your sink?

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jellytoast, if I swung it completely perpendicular to the wall the outer edge would be 0.5" outside the basin (still within the marine edge), but of course it would also be too far back from the basin as well. I see what you mean though!

• sena01
    10 years ago

I like it. I assume spout will be turned about 45 degrees to the right most of the time, and I think faucets look better when their spout is rotated a little.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Your window, sink, and sink base are sized so closely to each other that I don't think you have as much visual leeway to off-center it.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for all the feedback so far! It's very helpful. Thanks to bluetea and a2gemini for your photos of sinks and faucets - super helpful! I just realized I may have to consider how the faucet head swivels over the (rear offset) drain so I'll check that out on my next break.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Reporting back: 12" from the left seems absolutely perfect to make sure the stream of water hits the drain when the faucet is swivelled over the drain (distance to center of drain 10.5", faucet depth 9.5" on center, but stream of water comes out at an angle). If I centered it the water would hit about 3" in front of the drain. So offset it is!

This post was edited by robotropolis on Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 21:31

• deedles
    10 years ago

Now you've got me wondering if I should off-set mine?

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

deedles, your kitchen swings a little less contemporary doesn't it? I wonder if symmetry is better in a less contemporary setting? Not that I'm Ms. Modern!

This post was edited by robotropolis on Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 21:49

• Gracie
    10 years ago

It doesn't matter where the water hits unless you have an extremely powerful faucet and a very shallow sink. Mine hits in front of the drain and I bet most do.

• canuckplayer
    10 years ago

I like the offset. If the stream will hit the countertop by .5" if it's accidently knocked when running, shift it .5" the right. It will still be offset and shouldn't interfere with the window opening. If you want more symmetry, install a soap dispenser on the right and it will look like the faucet had to be offset.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

My sink is 28 inches wide and I have the same Trinsic faucet, centered. The water stream hits about three inches in front of my rear center set drain. I often like to swivel the spout back and forth while I am working at the sink. With the faucet centered, the stream of water stays inside the sink. If my faucet were offset at all, the stream of water would hit the countertops if I weren't careful about how far I swung the spout. I have rounded corners on my sink so that makes a difference in clearance ... I'd have more clearance if my sink was square on the corners. The water stream from this faucet is not super powerful and there is no splashing when the water hits in front of the drain or anywhere else.

• jakuvall
    10 years ago

I often offset faucets for prep sinks to one corner, allows placing pot on counter to fill instead of lifting out of the sink. No worry about being directly over the drain. Be warned though, someone will at some time turn the faucet on while swung out when there is no pot there ;-)

• mdln
    10 years ago

what does the cat think? :-)

Seriously, off center is fine as long as it looks deliberate. However, I'd want it off centered to the right.