Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
partyof7_gw

Backsplash is in! Wanna peek?

partyof7
11 years ago

Well, almost exactly 1 year after we decided to finally get the kitchen we want, it is finished! We absolutely love it. It is really unbelievable how much the tiles change the feel of the room. It is like putting on a bejeweled necklace.

I know that the tile we choose is not for everyone. It is hand made ceramic tile with all the imperfections of being handmade. The wide grout lines are traditional with this type of tile. It is made in Bucks County PA at TileWorks. Here it is:

Comments (43)

• Olney
    11 years ago

Looks lovely. Love the paint color you choose too!

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Wow! Those tiles are works of art and compliment your warm kitchen perfectly. Congratulations on having a backsplash!

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Wow, definitely has some character, but not over the top. It's lovely in your kitchen! I love the color variation I those tiles.

• drybean
    11 years ago

It's gorgeous! I love the different tones of the colors.

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

Really lovely and looks great with your soapstone.

• snagd
    11 years ago

It is so charming,I love it with everything else you have going on!

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Love it. Vintage feel. I don't remember seeing your kitchen before. Very nice. Are your cabinets cherry? Love the whole kitchen.

• grlwprls
    11 years ago

Nice color in the tiles. Looks great in the space overall.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Those tiles are fabulous. Love the little picture tiles in there and the dot and line accents. They go perfectly in your space and look great with the cabs and counter, too.

Can you talk about your cabs a little? You know, name, rank, serial number.... that kind of thing.

• Sarina
    11 years ago

Stunning that backsplash is great :) Good job !

• partyof7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My cabinets are a local custom cab maker. They are cherry, and the stain was a custom mix to be warm, not too red, not too dark. I love the style of door we chose with trim on the top and bottom, and a chamfered edge. It is true though that the detail and the beaded inset do require you to clean them more frequently.

HTH!

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

Beautiful and unique! Is that soapstone on the countertop?

• deedles
    11 years ago

Yeah, you have some beautiful cabinets. Love the cherry and the stain is very nice. I've been eyeballing some Shiloh doors with that top and bottom trim. Well, anyway, you have a beautiful, charming kitchen.

• michelle16
    11 years ago

Looks awesome with everything else in the room, perect!

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

Beautiful and the tile is perfect with your soapstone. Where did you get the pineapple light hanging above your sink? I think my mom would love it!

• amandasplit
    11 years ago

Totally the perfect compliment to your kitchen! Looks great.

• amandasplit
    11 years ago

Totally the perfect compliment to your kitchen! Looks great.

• poohpup
    11 years ago

Gorgeous tile! Looks great in your kitchen. Good job!

• jellytoast
    11 years ago

Lovely backsplash tile! I'm a fan of the cherry combined with green ... they compliment each other beautifully.

• leela4
    11 years ago

Are the tiles over the range Mercer tiles by any chance? i really like all your choices-it's beautiful.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Very nice. The tiles and cabinets share the limelight very well, each benefitting from the other.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

I just googled Tile Works because those tiles looks so familiar...and yep...Moravian Pottery!

I love the bee!

What a great looking back splash, it really goes so nicely in your kitchen.

(I have few of the Moravian tiles)

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Very nice!!!! :-)

• dees_1
    11 years ago

Love the tile! Love stuff from Moravian Tile works. I used to live near there many years ago and regretted never getting a tour.

I recently added a backsplash to my kitchen because we won't be able to do anything to it for years. It's pretty amazing at the difference a backsplash can make!

• AboutToGetDusty
    11 years ago

Gorgeous tile, counter and cabs. Love it!

• partyof7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tinan. Yes it is soapstone. No regrets there!

Deb52899. The pendant is by Hinkley. My local lighting store had it and should be easy to find online. Not expensive either.

Leela4. Good eye! All the tiles in the backsplash are Mercer. I fell in love with them when I toured the PA statehouse,,, they are throughout the whole first floor (at the Capitol, not my house!).

Bee. I just had to use those Moravian tiles as they are local to me! I sort of planned the kitchen around them. The bee, owl, rabbit and bird represent the four seasons. I love the bee, too

Thanks so much everyone for the nice words!

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

I thought the bee was for me....

:-o

LOL

• kam76
    11 years ago

OMG Love it!!! Love the color and love love love the bee. As a beekeeper. :)

• function_first
    11 years ago

Seriously beautiful tile! WOW! Love your cabinets, too. Nice job putting together a stunning kitchen! Enjoy!

• mic111
    11 years ago

Love, love, love your back splash. It is unique and tasteful. In fact your whole kitchen is beautiful. If I bought your house I wouldn't change a thing.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Somebody else hit the nail on the head. I couldn't quite figure it out. That green tile is really pretty with the cherry cabinets.

Like a pretty red headed girl wearing a green blouse, lol.

Very nice.

• leela4
    11 years ago

partyof7-I love those tiles. I wish I could have used the ones I have in our backsplash, but it just wouldn't work. Maybe someday . . . I also have the bunny and the tree.

And Bee-I gave the bee tile to a good friend of mine a few years ago (she likes bee things too).

I grew up ~5 minutes from the Mercer museum and the Moravian tile works. I got my first Moravian tile as a kid; I guess I picked it out because it was a horse:

• wags848
    11 years ago

Love your kitchen! Warmth & personality. The colors all work together nicely.
    Is that marble on your island? I have cherry cabinets, green walls, & was thinking about soapstone & marble on my counters/island. Your kitchen is very inspiring!

• localeater
    11 years ago

I love your tile. Thank you for sharing the sneak peek, I also have a countertop material high splash behind my sink and while I love it, I feel it adds another level of complexity to the backsplash selection process. Seeing your pictures really helped.

• hobokenkitchen
    11 years ago

I love the tile too and the Tileworks is just down the road from us.
    I love it and always think it look like it belongs in Middle Earth as kind of a hobbit palace if there were such a thing! : )

Your tiles are really beautiful and it makes them even more special that they came from there.

I think we have some of the tiles around one of our fireplaces, but I'm not 100% sure:

• camphappy
    11 years ago

Love it! Absolutely beautiful.

• janetraz
    11 years ago

Wow! Your tile is gorgeous. Love it!

• laughablemoments
    11 years ago

Ooooooh, very, very pretty! I'd love to see the rest of the kitchen. : )

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

The tile is lovely! I love the green tile. I am doing a green kitchen as well and feel a kinship to your kitchen :)

• partyof7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, Bee, now I will think of you when I see this bee! lol

Can't believe so many GW'ers know Mercer tile!

Hoboken That is definitely Mercer. The ones they have at the Statehouse, even. How lucky you are to have a fireplace surround. It's beautiful! (and another BEE for Bee AND kam76!)

Below is my reveal thread, and here is my banquette reveal: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0112354023551.html

If that doesn't work, the thread is called Loving my Banquette!

Thanks! I really wasn't sure anyone would like it!

Here is a link that might be useful: My original kitchen reveal

• partyof7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, and wags848 the island is Danby Marble. It is so nice to have around! So far, no marble disasters! lol

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Perfect! It all goes together so well (and looks very nice while doing so)!

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Perfect! It all goes together so well (and looks very nice while doing so)!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio