Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Backsplash is in! Wanna peek?

Posted by partyof7 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 13:59

Well, almost exactly 1 year after we decided to finally get the kitchen we want, it is finished! We absolutely love it. It is really unbelievable how much the tiles change the feel of the room. It is like putting on a bejeweled necklace.

I know that the tile we choose is not for everyone. It is hand made ceramic tile with all the imperfections of being handmade. The wide grout lines are traditional with this type of tile. It is made in Bucks County PA at TileWorks. Here it is:
 photo DSC00329_zpsafd2fb67.jpg

photo DSC00328_zpsb5d1b91b.jpg

photo DSC00327_zpsefcd1e86.jpg

photo DSC00325_zps4eb25f0b.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Backsplash is in! Wanna peek?

Looks lovely. Love the paint color you choose too!

o

Wow! Those tiles are works of art and compliment your warm kitchen perfectly. Congratulations on having a backsplash!

o

Wow, definitely has some character, but not over the top. It's lovely in your kitchen! I love the color variation I those tiles.

o

It's gorgeous! I love the different tones of the colors.

o

Really lovely and looks great with your soapstone.

o

It is so charming,I love it with everything else you have going on!

o

Love it. Vintage feel. I don't remember seeing your kitchen before. Very nice. Are your cabinets cherry? Love the whole kitchen.

o

Nice color in the tiles. Looks great in the space overall.

o

Those tiles are fabulous. Love the little picture tiles in there and the dot and line accents. They go perfectly in your space and look great with the cabs and counter, too.

Can you talk about your cabs a little? You know, name, rank, serial number.... that kind of thing.

o

Stunning that backsplash is great :) Good job !

o

My cabinets are a local custom cab maker. They are cherry, and the stain was a custom mix to be warm, not too red, not too dark. I love the style of door we chose with trim on the top and bottom, and a chamfered edge. It is true though that the detail and the beaded inset do require you to clean them more frequently.
 photo DSC00317_zps4c8e3ab6.jpg

photo DSC00029.jpg

HTH!

o

Beautiful and unique! Is that soapstone on the countertop?

o

Yeah, you have some beautiful cabinets. Love the cherry and the stain is very nice. I've been eyeballing some Shiloh doors with that top and bottom trim. Well, anyway, you have a beautiful, charming kitchen.

o

Looks awesome with everything else in the room, perect!

o

Beautiful and the tile is perfect with your soapstone. Where did you get the pineapple light hanging above your sink? I think my mom would love it!

o

Totally the perfect compliment to your kitchen! Looks great.

o

Totally the perfect compliment to your kitchen! Looks great.

o

Gorgeous tile! Looks great in your kitchen. Good job!

o

Lovely backsplash tile! I'm a fan of the cherry combined with green ... they compliment each other beautifully.

o

Are the tiles over the range Mercer tiles by any chance? i really like all your choices-it's beautiful.

o

Very nice. The tiles and cabinets share the limelight very well, each benefitting from the other.

o

I just googled Tile Works because those tiles looks so familiar...and yep...Moravian Pottery!

I love the bee!

What a great looking back splash, it really goes so nicely in your kitchen.

(I have few of the Moravian tiles)

o

Very nice!!!! :-)

o

Love the tile! Love stuff from Moravian Tile works. I used to live near there many years ago and regretted never getting a tour.

I recently added a backsplash to my kitchen because we won't be able to do anything to it for years. It's pretty amazing at the difference a backsplash can make!

o

Gorgeous tile, counter and cabs. Love it!

o

Tinan. Yes it is soapstone. No regrets there!

Deb52899. The pendant is by Hinkley. My local lighting store had it and should be easy to find online. Not expensive either.

Leela4. Good eye! All the tiles in the backsplash are Mercer. I fell in love with them when I toured the PA statehouse,,, they are throughout the whole first floor (at the Capitol, not my house!).

Bee. I just had to use those Moravian tiles as they are local to me! I sort of planned the kitchen around them. The bee, owl, rabbit and bird represent the four seasons. I love the bee, too

Thanks so much everyone for the nice words!

o
oh, it represents a season?

I thought the bee was for me....

:-o

LOL

o

OMG Love it!!! Love the color and love love love the bee. As a beekeeper. :)

o

Seriously beautiful tile! WOW! Love your cabinets, too. Nice job putting together a stunning kitchen! Enjoy!

o

Love, love, love your back splash. It is unique and tasteful. In fact your whole kitchen is beautiful. If I bought your house I wouldn't change a thing.

o

Somebody else hit the nail on the head. I couldn't quite figure it out. That green tile is really pretty with the cherry cabinets.

Like a pretty red headed girl wearing a green blouse, lol.

Very nice.

o

partyof7-I love those tiles. I wish I could have used the ones I have in our backsplash, but it just wouldn't work. Maybe someday . . . I also have the bunny and the tree.

And Bee-I gave the bee tile to a good friend of mine a few years ago (she likes bee things too).

I grew up ~5 minutes from the Mercer museum and the Moravian tile works. I got my first Moravian tile as a kid; I guess I picked it out because it was a horse:

Photobucket

o

Love your kitchen! Warmth & personality. The colors all work together nicely.
Is that marble on your island? I have cherry cabinets, green walls, & was thinking about soapstone & marble on my counters/island. Your kitchen is very inspiring!

o

I love your tile. Thank you for sharing the sneak peek, I also have a countertop material high splash behind my sink and while I love it, I feel it adds another level of complexity to the backsplash selection process. Seeing your pictures really helped.

o

I love the tile too and the Tileworks is just down the road from us.
I love it and always think it look like it belongs in Middle Earth as kind of a hobbit palace if there were such a thing! : )

Your tiles are really beautiful and it makes them even more special that they came from there.

I think we have some of the tiles around one of our fireplaces, but I'm not 100% sure:

o

Love it! Absolutely beautiful.

o

Wow! Your tile is gorgeous. Love it!

o

Ooooooh, very, very pretty! I'd love to see the rest of the kitchen. : )

o

The tile is lovely! I love the green tile. I am doing a green kitchen as well and feel a kinship to your kitchen :)

o

Well, Bee, now I will think of you when I see this bee! lol

Can't believe so many GW'ers know Mercer tile!

Hoboken That is definitely Mercer. The ones they have at the Statehouse, even. How lucky you are to have a fireplace surround. It's beautiful! (and another BEE for Bee AND kam76!)

Below is my reveal thread, and here is my banquette reveal: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0112354023551.html

If that doesn't work, the thread is called Loving my Banquette!

Thanks! I really wasn't sure anyone would like it!

Here is a link that might be useful: My original kitchen reveal

o

Oh, and wags848 the island is Danby Marble. It is so nice to have around! So far, no marble disasters! lol

o

Perfect! It all goes together so well (and looks very nice while doing so)!

o

Perfect! It all goes together so well (and looks very nice while doing so)!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here