Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Counter depth refrigerators

Posted by scpalmetto (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 13:53

Is anyone happy with theirs?

Have looked at both LG and Electrolux and after speaking with dealers who are trying to discourage me from buy them and two (authorized) repair services saying the same, I am overly confused. My usual repair guy says he has an Electrolux himself but he does have to replace the ice maker annually. Seriously, annually???

Problem is not one of the professionals can suggest a refrigerator that should present fewer problems.

Any success stories out there?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Counter depth refrigerators

I have a brand new Electrolux french door fridge. The ice maker is broken already. It has a ten year warranty, so we will be calling the repair guys. It will be interesting to see if our fridge falls into the category of yearly repair.

Otherwise the fridge is fine for us.
Diane

o

My elux is 4 years old and on original ice maker.
I love mine- no ice/water through the door but just in the freezer.
I had one issue when it was brand new- there was a faulty valve in the water system that caused some spattering of water the valve was replaced and running fine.
I took my favorite pot luck serving dishes to the store to figure out which fridge worked best.

Unless LG changed their design, the center closure was gasket to gasket. The elux has a flapper. I wanted a flapper and it is great 99% of the time. If you are too wimpy when you open the door, the flapper occasionally doesn't reset to easy close mode.

o

I don't understand - are they saying that counter-depth fridges have more problems than regular-depth fridges? Or just that LG and Electrolux have a lot of problems?

o

It seems the real problem is that everything is being made with cheaper and cheaper materials (and labor?) and this shows it. Planned obsolescence is what it's called.

I have a 10 year old Kenmore FD and have had to fix the icemaker exactly once. Have read the largest number of repairs to fridges no matter which are the ice makers. Seems reasonable to expect problems nowadays. Frustrating.

o

I love my Samsung French Door CD fridge. I cannot believe how much stuff I can store in this refrigerator. Definitely more than in my regular sized side by side. I don't know how they manage to pick up the space, but it's definitely there. The freezer can become a jumble after a trip to Costco or TJ's but even at its worst things are fairly easy to find.

o

Our Electrolux Icon CD SxS is almost 5 years old. The entire unit was replaced after about 1 month when repairmen could figure out what part to order when the interior light would not come on. No problems since then, however, I'm not thrilled with the meat keeper controls. Seems like I get frozen meat every so often. No problems with ice maker or everything in door.

We are switching to a GE Cafe CD French door with our new home under construction. The reviews say it's loud, but I'm willing to chance it. Love the look of it.

o

I agree with"jerzeegirl".
We've had or Samsug CD/FD for 3+ years.
It holds a ton of food and so far no problems at all.

o

I'm not really endorsing my FD, counter-depth, KitchenAid, because I've only owned it for 6 month, but so far, I love, love, love my fridge. Although, I have to say that it took some time for me to figure out how to organize it to its best advantage.

My fridge does not have water/ice in the door, The ice maker is in the freezer drawer. I should also mention that my fridge has a ridiculous water dispenser just inside the door of the fridge which I never use, because I do not want to have my fridge door open the whole while while I fill a glass of water. Regardless, this is just a minor fault as I prefer to drink from the tap.

In doing my research for a new fridge, I learned that having an ice maker in the fridge section of a FD is an inherent design flaw because of the disconnect or distance between the freezer drawer and the refrigerator door ice maker. I'm not really sure of the details, but I hope this helps you in your research.

o

The repair folks said both LG and Electrolux in general were trouble and one of them added Samsung. I have a Samsung myself and other than the fact that it is noisy, I love it but it is regular depth and we will have to switch to the counter depth with the renovations.

I spoke with a dealer this afternoon and he told me E-lux did have significant problems with their ice makers and the company could not even find the source of the problem initially but that their newest refrigerators do not have the same issues. They are having a great President's day sale and the E lux has a good rebate so I'll probably go in that direction. They did not have any counter depth Samsungs in stock and they won't be getting any more until the new models come out. I live in a rural area and can't very well go to a different store and, after a bad experience, do not want to go the online route.

o

I have a Kitchenaid Pro Line side by side counter depth. I've only had it for a few months but I really love it. I'm surprised that I can fit as much in it as my previous side by side. Actually, it is laid out better and I can actually fit more, especially in the freezer. It has a lot of great features too, like being able to set your glass there and it will fill it while you do something else. Love it!

o

I have a 2005 Maytag counter depth with French doors. We had the ice maker removed when it was installed. No water dispenser either. It's worked flawlessly, just vacuum the dust from the bottom vent a couple times a year.

We had new bottom cabinets and counters installed recently and had them made another inch deeper, 25 inches on the fridge side, looks nice.

o

Our Electrolux is two years old and we've never had a problem with any part of the fridge. The ice maker was redesigned a few years ago. The quality of the steel, drawer glides, baskets, and lighting just seemed far superior to the other fridges standing next to it.

o

We bought an Electrolux FD standard depth four years ago and at the time I was researching refrigerators I read that Electrolux's ice makers didn't seem to work on most models (counter depth or standard depth), with more problems on the models with ice makers on the door. All in all, the Electrolux was my top choice even knowing about these problems, and I bought a model with the ice maker in the freezer, not on the door. It broke within 2 years and we never bothered to fix it. Since then we moved into a house with a 15 yo Sub-Zero that works great except for the ice maker. We give up! Other than the ice maker I loved our Electrolux.

o

LOL, I had to laugh, sometimes it is easier to just give up. We use our external water dispenser and ice maker all day long, I don't think I could go back to having to open the freezer 2 dozen times a day. I bought my first fridge with an external ice dispenser in the mid 80's; we had young teenagers then who were always getting ice and it was wonderful. Here in the south we use lots of ice year round.

o

Ours is only 2-3mo but I'm very happy with our Samsung CD SxS.

I love the layout and have no problems with capacity.

The ice maker hasn't broken yet but I got the extended warranty for when it does. ;)

o

I'm happy with my FD counter depth KA but have only had it a few months. It is 42" wide, which is great. No ice or water through the doors, so the doors have a ton of useful storage space and the rest of the fridge stays pretty well organized. Mine was a half price floor model which was a huge factor in my purchasing decision, but now I'm afraid that I'm sold on both counter depth and built ins and would have a hard time going back.

o

2 year old Samsung French Door CD w/ice and water in the door. I hate the size of this fridge. I live alone yet I can't fit much in the fridge or freezer. I think since it has two ice makers one in the fridge and one in the freezer they took up a ton of useable space. I did not want 2 ice makers but that's the only way it came when I needed my fridge.

Luckily, I have my 20 plus Amana in the garage for pop, frozen pizza, etc.

o

I have a 2yr samsung sxs counter depth. Love it. It seems to be, for me, a very good "organizational" fridge.

(granted, I have our old full depth whirlpool FD in the mudroom for overflow.... it is largely for dh's beer brewing hobby, but I do have a few spots for general usage)

o

We have had a Frigidaire 17 Cu.ft. refrigerator and freezer pair (counter depth) for the past 8 years in a Chicago condo. Love them, and have not had a bit of trouble. We bought a house in Aiken , SC and are ripping out the kitchen (previous owner was a delightful gal who really didn't cook much!) We are planning the kitchen around another Frigidaire paired frig/freezer - counter depth.
Now they are 19 cu.ft. each, so we give up a smidge of cabinet space. My take is that the Electrolux models (probably built in the same factory as Frigidaire) have a different shelf configuration, but certainly not worth the several hundred dollars more over the Frigidaire models.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Frigidaire all-freeezer and all-refrigerator

o

We had our 4th service call in 8 months on our new Elux FD CD this week. Lower ice maker already replaced. Sigh. Now the upper section is not holding temperature low enough. Dunno what to say. There seems to be no good fridges, CD or otherwise, on the market nowadays.

o

I had a counter depth french door KA in my cottage - loved it. For this house I bought a SubZero bottom freezer. Love it - fantastic fridge for a woman who adores raspberries. I actually get to eat them before they moulder.

In my search I found that every brand/model has someone who loved it and someone who hated it. Occasionally you see the same complaint repeated, and I crossed those brands off my list, so, the Electrolux side by side ice/water dispenser is a problem in many, many reviews, as your guy says. I'm not that impressed with LG refrigerators - junky interiors. Samsung are not really counter depth, so be aware of the look you want and your measurements. I would choose a KA over the brands you're considering in a heartbeat. But look for a floor model SubZero - you might find one at a great price.

o

I've had a Samsung SxS CD for two years now and love it. It has the ice maker and water in the door and we have no issues, and we use it A LOT! It seems a lot of the older model CD didn't have very good use of space, but they have improved a lot over the last couple of years. When we bought this fridge during our kitchen remodel I looked at FD CD but the ice makers took up so much room and they seemed poorly designed. Now in our new remodel we have purchased the GE Cafe CD FD with the ice in the door. I cannot comment on its usability yet since our new kitchen in our new home is not yet finished. But I noticed a huge difference in design changes since I researched fridges 2 years ago. After having a CD, I could never go back to a regular fridge. IMO, they just don't look as nice. A CD can do a lot for a kitchen. Good luck with your search!

o

It is my theory that European brands are not as good with in-the-door ice dispenser 'cause that hasn't been a feature there that long. Now, CD is a different story. Long history there with fully integrated fridges, albeit smaller models.
Also, Consumer Report has been stating for a long time that all ice-in-the door fridges are more unreliable than those without.

o
RE: Counter Depth Refrigerators

Is there such a thing as a Counter Depth refrigerator WITHOUT both a water dispenser and ice maker?
I would like one for our condo and don't want to risk any water leaks.

o

I seems most fridges have ice makers. We have a counter depth FD Maytag we purchased in 2005 that had no water dispenser in the door but did include an ice maker in the freezer.. We had it removed when it was installed. The freezer has a shelf that holds a couple ice trays and it has a bin to hold ice cubes. We seldom use ice cubes and just make our own when we need to. For parties I just buy a bag of ice and throw some of it in the freezer bin.

Ice cubes get weird in a freezer after months with the automatic defrosting freezers made today. I'd rather make a batch of fresh ones when we need them.

o

In my area ice makers can be a problem in all brands. Most around here are on wells, many with softeners. I've been told that ice makers don't like softened water and don't like our well water. They also aren't overly fond of some filtration systems.
On my own I was all set to put in a dedicated filter (don't recall now what kind) but decided to skip it and turn it off in the fridge. I make ice the old fashioned way, not a big deal.

o

I have a GE Monogram. It sat in my garage for a year do to a never ending remodel, but I have been using it for almost 4 years now and I haven't had any problems.

o

We have had our Kitchenaid CD FD for almost 3 years. We got the 72" tall version. Ice maker in freezer, water dispenser inside fridge. Not one complaint so far. We do have an old side by side in the garage for overflow...but we have always had a second fridge. I don't find the CD fridges to be any different than our older KA that had the freezer on top as far as storage...so it was easy to switch.

o

lovealltennis, I'm not a fan of in-the-door dispensers, but I do like an ice maker. However, the inside icemakers are easily disabled (or just don't connect the water line in the first place).

o

I have the Elux wave touch counter depth French door. Of the models I looked at, I liked its fit and finish the best. Appliances feel so flimsy these days.

I've only had it for two months but it's all good so far. I used to have a top freezer full depth model. I'm loving the filtered ice and water in the door but I still haven't gotten used to the pull out freezer door.

o

I have the Frigidaire All Freezer and Refrigerator combo. Icemaker is inside the freezer up high. If I had small children that would be a problem. We keep an ice bin on a lower shelf so we can get ice easier. No water in the door and I don't miss it at all. I keep a water container in the refrigerator with a spigot on it. I love the shallow shelves. It is easy to find things. We have an open floor plan, and we can barely hear the refrigerator and freezer running.

My previous refrigerator was a side by side GE. It is 28 years old and still makes and dispenses ice. The original ice maker! They don't make them last that long any more. It is in the garage and still running. We also have an old Frigidaire with one door. I think it is from 50s or 60s. It belonged to my husband's uncle who stayed in Vietnam after the war. We inherited it when his stuff was returned to the U.S. I can't believe it still works. Frigidaire has been good to us!

o

Any one have experience with this one?
Samsung 22.3 cu. ft. Side by Side Refrigerator in Stainless Steel, Counter Depth
Model # RS22HDHPNSR Internet # 204992865 Store SO SKU # 1000040579

o

What a great discussion since I want my next refrigerator to be a counter depth one and I was thinking of the Jenn-Air Frenchdoor Counter Depth with Pro-handles made by KitchenAid.

o

I really wish I could go without the water and ice dispenser but it is a must in my home. This in return I am sure will give me problems. I have the Bosch sxs cd and boy is it a beauty! Shame it doesnt work properly. After being replaced twice and the current one breaking in 6 months they are just buying it back. Soooo I get the joy of starting all over. Im ready to throw my hands in the air and just go with KA since thats what the gal at the store is pushing. Really like the look of elux though. Gosh darn decisions!

o

We did not buy a cd refrigerator and I regret it. It was by mistake, I had the dimensions but my husband must have mixed up the numbers somehow. I had done research, but not much as we were not at the store to buy one, great deals at the store so decided to make purchase. I had the dimensions we needed in my handy dandy notebook....so much for that. Sales person not nice asked if we needed a cd type. We bought a Samsung French door with flex drawer...it's a monster!! Love it so far...but not how it looks in kitchen. Looks out of place. It's a recent purchase, so need to make a decision if we want to exchange it. The one we purchased is considerably less in price. The cd would still be a little large for area...from wall to end of counter its 27". The cd is 31". One we purchased is 36" in depth!

o

How about cutting a niche in the drywall?

o

Happy with my KA FD CD : ) Had it for 3 years. No ice in door.

o

We have had our Frigidaire side by side with ice/water in the door for almost 5 years with no problems at all. In the reno we made a bigger space for the fridge than we had previously so I am ordering the new fridge today. Going with Frigidaire again, side by side again, ice/water in the door again...just bigger. Hoping it is as good as the current one. We constantly use ice/water in the door and hope we never have to go without that feature...love it!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here