Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njaddition

Advice on paint color for kitchen cabinets

NJaddition
10 years ago

I would like to hear opinions on favorite Benjamin Moore paint colors for kitchen cabinets. I am looking for an off white that is not too grey and not too ivory or bright white. There are so many choices. Our look is hardwood floor with natural finish to bring out warm red tones. Thinking of muted green subway tile for back splash. countertops may be soapstone. Our house is a four square from early 1900s. Thanks

Comments (16)

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

Not too grey, not too ivory, and not bright white ... okay, I'll take a shot ...

White Dove, Steam, Simply White, Cotton Balls

• magsnj
    10 years ago

Those are all good suggestions. You HAVE to paint samples in the room to see what its going to look like. I painted the cabinet that was there in my kitchen with all the colors I was thinking of, and the color that I stated with was not even a tenth as good as the color I ended up with. It was worth the cost of the paint samples. The lighting in the room makes a huge difference in what the color is going to end up being

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

Have you set your backsplash tile up with your floor?
    Just that brown makes green really green. Make sure you factor that in.

If you don't do paint samples, you will live to regret it every time you walk into your kitchen, a different times of day. I promise! Just sayin'

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

Chantilly Lace and Cloud White are others that I would consider. Magsnj is right, of course, it all depends on your kitchen and your lighting. You should probably start with a few samples (3 or 4) and that will give you a good idea of the direction you should go in. For me, the method is often ruling things out and that leads to the best choice. Luckily BM's sample pints are cheap.

• sis2two
    10 years ago

Take a look at BM's Mayonnaise.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

I'll add Mascarpone to the list. I don't have a chip, but I believe Twolittlefishies used it in her kitchen and it looks lovely in the photographs.

• ReBe231
    10 years ago

I am using Simply White on my cabinets. Our cabinet maker gave me a sample and it is nice, not in your face white. We will be using Sea Pearl quartzite with it so wanted something not too yellow or gray.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

My painter took two of my old cabinet doors and painted them in each of my two color finalists: Cloud White and Simply White. It was very helpful to see the paint that way. I leaned those doors up in my kitchen for days. At first all I did was compare them to one another, but it's not a battle of the paints, it's how each one looks and makes you feel. Once I separated them, I could evaluate each one alone.

I chose Cloud White as it is a hair warmer than Simply White. For a couple of weeks I thought I'd made a mistake, but now I know I made the right choice. I would pick CW all over again.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

BM lists Cloud White as a cool white yet I've seen other websites classify it as warm. Simply White is listed as warm. Comparing the two, I would not guess CW to be cool.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

jellytoast, I agree with you.

I started with four semifinalists, all BM: Simply White, Cloud White, Mascarpone, and White Dove.

I decided Mascarpone was too yellow and White Dove too gray...IN MY KITCHEN.

Between SW and CW, I found SW slightly brighter/cooler and CW creamier/warmer. My two doors, side by side showed very little perceptible difference, almost impossible to describe. It was a virtual toss-up.

• Mags438
    10 years ago

Compare colors under your proposed lighting.

• NJaddition
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for all of the great responses. Sounds like I have some homework to do!!

• ruralredhead
    10 years ago

We are going with BM Mountain Peak White. Creamy but not ivory. I found this article helpful (see link)

Here is a link that might be useful: Choosing a paint color

• illinigirl
    10 years ago

jellytoast- is there a website that gives the desriptions (like warm, cool, etc?) I'd be interested in checking that out.

thanks!

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

I don't think so, illinigirl, but BM will tell you whether a color is cool or warm if you call their 800 number. I have one of their older "white/off white" decks" and that information is included on mine. I don't know why they stopped doing that. I find it very helpful.

• MrsShayne
    10 years ago

Hi. I painted my cabinets BM's 1550 cumulus cloud which is a grayish color. I didn't want white cabinets so I went with a gray color. I love the color but sometimes I think it has some blue in it (but then again, that may be in my head since the name is Cumulus cloud) - the paint lady at the BM store swears there is no blue in this color...

I also got new white trim and painted my doors & trim BM Simply white when I got new hardwood installed. Simply white is very white in my opinion. For a nice new kitchen I'm sure simply white is fine but for my little builder grade space, it's too bright. I'm use to the trim and doors now but the white took it's sweet time to grow on me.

When choosing colors for the kitchen cabinets, BM's Thunderstorm was suggested to me by a paint professional. It's a grayish color with green in it.

I would take samples home and see how they look. Everyone has different opinions and with lighting and other surroundings thing always look different

I held simply white and cloud white in my hand at the paint store and just picked simply white. Cloud white does seem a little softer on the eyes but Simple white looks fine in my house too.

I also painted the kitchen walls BM's Weimaraner.

Good luck and share some pics when you're done.

(before)

here is the door and trim in simply white

Here is a link that might be useful: pictures