Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking at options for kitchen redo on budget

Posted by Mary614 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 21, 13 at 13:53

We have an old farm house and really need to update a few things, actually a lot of things and there just isn't money to do everything "new"
Our current kitchen is a small galley that is 14' long and 7'6" wide, this also has the washer and dryer in it. Yes it is a bit tight. So, we need to move the washer and dryer out of the kitchen.
THe cabinets are original to the house and very inefficient, if you can get the doors open. We have gotten a number of quotes and have also seen used cabinets on CL . Has anyone redone their kitchen with used cabinets? If you have any advice?
The big things that I don't want to skimp on are getting the electric and plumbing to code which they currently are not.
Thank you, Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking at options for kitchen redo on budget

I don't know where you live, but you could check into Green Demolitions, or see if there is something like that near you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Demolitions

o

Check to see if you have a Habitat for Humanity resale store in your area. Our Resale shop always has lots of cabinets. Some are well used while some are like new. inventory changes daily.

ML

o

I remodeled a farm kitchen using craigslist and ebay items, and a few inexpensive cabinets from Lowe's. If you click on my username, you can find my threads and albums. Also, I'll link one of my all time favorite GW threads:

Here is a link that might be useful: Recycled kitchens

o

Have you considered RTA cabinets? There are quite a few threads on GW about ready to assemble cabinets & people have been pleased with cost & quality.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here