Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erikanh

Butcher block insert in marble island, advice please

erikanh
15 years ago

I'm putting Carrara marble on my island. It's 12 feet long, much longer than any slab. I'd like to avoid a big seam down the middle of my island, so I'm thinking about including a 24" by 30 or 36" butcher block next to the prep sink. My plan is to have the countertop people template for the marble once the butcher block is set in place by my carpenter.

Here's a Christopher Peacock kitchen with a butcher block insert on the island:

{{!gwi}}

This is how it would look on my island (mine wouldn't be centered):

{{!gwi}}

Here's the Boos butcher block I'm considering, 4" thick, 25" deep, in either 30" ($620) or 36" ($741) width:

My biggest concern is how to seal the cracks between the marble and butcher block. If I use silicone, will that allow the wood to expand and contract? Any idea if there is a way to install the block onto my cabinets that would allow me to remove it in the future if it needed to be sanded or replaced?

Erika

Comments (30)

• oldalgebra
    15 years ago

I haven't seen the original pictures of the kitchen, but is it possible that the block isn't an inset? Do you think it might just have a large lip and it's set over the countertop?

OT: What do you think is the reason for the stainless steel drawers underneath? Are they for looks or are they intended to store something special?

• malhgold
    15 years ago

I was sort of thinking along the lines of oldalgebra. Could you have the butcher block piece made so it would fit over the marble? You wouldn't have to worry about the cracks between the marble and BB and you could take it off to clean it as needed.

I did see recently on an HGTV show they installed a BB insert in a granite counter. Different from yours, the square was insert more like a sink, so it was surrounded on all 4 sides with granite. They put 2 finger size holes in the plywood underneath so the homeowner could "pop" the BB top out as/if needed. Obviously, you'd have to be able to fit your hand in the drawer underneath to pop the top out.

• phaze
    15 years ago

It doesn't look like they sealed around the block.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Christopher Peacock Kitchen

• erikanh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

If you look at the Peacock kitchen where the marble meets the butcher block it's obvious that the butcher block isn't on top of the marble.

But mahlgold, your suggestion has sparked a completely different line of thinking! It would be so much simpler and less expensive if I purchase a large, high quality cutting board that's pretty enough to leave out on the countertop all the time. If I get one big enough it will accomplish my main goal of covering up a large portion of the marble seam.

Here's one for $145 on Amazon. 23" x 23"

Thanks a million!

E

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

or if you want to have something bigger (with, albeit, a bigger pricetag) you could have grothouse make you one with a lip in the size you need.

• cstag1
    15 years ago

Hi there. I have an endgrain walnut cutting board from
    ozarkwest.com that I leave out on my island all the time. I love it, but, if I had to do it all over again, I would have definitely incorporated a hefty chopping block a la Peacock. I am sure it is not inexpensive, but I think it would look awesome in your kitchen and at the same time be functional.

Here is a link that might be useful: End Grain Cutting Boards

• grendal_fly
    15 years ago

I have a end grain maple Boos block in my island. The block isn't even fastened to the cabinets since it doesn't move as it is really heavy. I was told that if I wanted to fasten it I would have to put diagonal slots in the Cab frame so that the fasteners can slide as the block expands/ contracts. I had the granite templated in the summer when the block was at it largest size. My 30" block in the dry winter now has over 1/8 gap all the way around. If I had sealed it, the sealant would have pulled loose by now. The best part is by not fastening it I can just pop it out to clean along the seams and anything that drops to the cabinet.

• willowdecor
    15 years ago

Erika,
    I think that adding a butcher block is great idea to cut up the seam! I would go with it!

• budge1
    15 years ago

What about having a carpenter router around the butcher block so the marble would fit in the grooves? Not really sure if this is feasible, but it might work.

I love the idea of a big butcher block actually set into the marble-hope you're able to do it.

• malhgold
    15 years ago

I'm really curious about this "built in" butcher block now, but not really understanding how it's built. The CP ones look like they are much deeper and come down beyond the top of the cabinet. So I'm assuming you would've had to have had your cabinets designed so there wasn't a drawer or door in that top space. Would you agree?

Erikanh - if you're planning a 4" tall piece, and assuming the marble is 1 1/2" thick, your BB will stand 2 1/2" taller than the marble. Yes? And it won't come down any lower than the bottom of the marble counter? Yes? So it won't look exactly like the CP one? Sorry....I'm just confused and trying to figure this out as I'm now keeping this in my mind as a potential item for my kitchen.

Thanks!

• tetrazzini
    15 years ago

I think it would be hard to rout a BB that's that thick. Have you considered setting the BB deeper than the marble? If I can figure out how to use our new scanner, I'll post a picture of a really nice marble topped island with a set-in butcher block. In this case, the top of the BB set down about two inches below the marble.

• erikanh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mahlgold, my butcher block wouldn't be nearly as thick as the one in the Peacock kitchen. I'm not planning to cut into the tops of my already existing island cabinetry. You're right that the butcher block would be about 2 3/4" higher than the surrounding marble. I know it's not too high because the cutting board I have right now is 3 inches thick.

I'm encouraged that grendalfly has a similar setup to what I'm contemplating and seems to be happy with it. I like the idea of not sealing around the butcher block and being able to take it out for cleaning.

I found a 36"x24" John Boos hard maple chopping block for only $384. I actually prefer a walnut, but they cost closer to $900. Maple is harder but I worry about the lighter color showing stains more.

• erikanh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I forgot to mention that my first choice for wood was lyptus, but apparently there's a shortage, and John Boos has discontinued their lyptus butcher blocks.

• cheri127
    15 years ago

I think the BB would look great fitted into the counter and now that you know it wouldn't be difficult to remove and clean, even better. Your kitchen is going to be absolutely beautiful...I can't wait to see the finished pictures because as a work in progress it's already stunning.

• tetrazzini
    15 years ago

Well, I'm not sure I could do it again, but I figured out how to post pictures of the marble/butcher block island I mentioned above. I love this kitchen. Hope it helps.

From
    From

• homepro01
    15 years ago

I really like the Butcherblock on the Martha Stewart show. It looks like they slide from side to side. I believe they are installed on top of the current countertop and can be removed with four or five people lifting them. It is a great work space though if you have the space.

Good luck!

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Erika,
    I had a beautiful walnut end grain cutting board made by David Smith of the Boardsmith. I went with the 2 x 16 x 22 size. I wish I had gone the next size bigger. But David does custom boards and his work is excellent and his prices are very reasonable. Check out his website www.theboardsmith.com

I was originally looking to get the same walnut cutting board Giada De Laurentils uses on Food Network at www.Ozarkwest.com, but found the boardsmith to be less expensive. Each does custom work though and you could compare prices. I use my board all the time and love it.

• evilbunnie
    15 years ago

erika,

I have been working with a wonderful seller on ebay, they've been doing some custom walnut butcher block counters for me, all to my specs, gorgeous work with keyed edges and extremely reasonable. I think they'd be perfect for you. Let me know if you're interested, I'll send you their email. Here's a for-instance, 1.5" walnut edge grain countertop with keyed (breadboard) ends 23"x48" was about $270. Hope this helps.

• oldalgebra
    15 years ago

Evilbunnie (love the name),
    Can you share with others too. I am interested as well.

• evilbunnie
    15 years ago

Their names are elaine and jerry, they sell cutting boards on ebay under the Seller ID elaine1901art, and have great feedback.

I would hate them to get spammed, but here's their email:

jerry7919(at)sbcglobal.net (Note I've replaced the @ symbol)

I will try to attach a pic of the large counter that they did for me:

{{!gwi}}

And as soon as I get a second, I'll go downstairs and get a photo of the counter in place on the wheeled kitchen island thingy. It's so pretty in person.

• evilbunnie
    15 years ago

Okay, admittedly the kitchen is a mess and these are older photos but here goes . . .

Here's a long view of the kitchen with the walnut counter and backsplash
    {{!gwi}}

Here's a closeup with cat:
    {{!gwi}}
    And here's the rolling island with the walnut top (it replaced the cheap rubberwood that the island came with)

{{!gwi}}

• oldalgebra
    15 years ago

Thank you, evilbunnie.
    OA

• lascatx
    15 years ago

I think that Christopher Peacock kitchen does have a lipped cutting board sitting on top of the marble -- just like the oldalgebra and homepro01 have mentioned. I suspect it looks different because if you are Christopher Peacock, you get a wood artisan to create a custom piece for you and it is made to fit over the edge of the marble and back under to the cabinet so that it looks perfectly finished and it stays in place better when working at it. If you are going to pay for a CP kitchen, you certainly aren't going to photograph your kitchen with a cutting board you could buy off Amazon, and if you are CP, this is one of those things you sell your client on -- art as function. Looks great and protects the marble even if you don't cook in the kitchen.

• erikanh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lascatx, I don't think so. If you look at phaze's close-up, it shows the marble butts up against the butcher block, doesn't go under it. The front of the butcher block may indeed be a lip as opposed to a solid block, however.

I was all set to get a pre-made chopping block from Boos, but the only ones I can find are maple (too light in color) or walnut/cherry (too soft). I have my heart set on lyptus or jatoba, and as far as I can tell, that means custom and $$$.

I hope I can make a decision soon, because this is holding up the rest of the remodel.

• homepro01
    15 years ago

Erikanh,
    Grothouse does Lyptus. I have included a link below. There was a recent thread about where to get wood counters from that listed a ton of vendors. There were several vendors that did Lyptus. Depending on the size, it may not be too expensive. Also, if you go with the cutting board with a lip like the Peacock picture but without breaking up your countertop, it may not be too pricey. I learned a valuable lesson the other day, it is far better to get less of what you really want than to get more of something you didn't really want!

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Grothouse Wood Options

• twogirlsbigtrouble
    15 years ago

Erika - Just to let you know, we had a butcher block top from Boos at our old house and I wasnt that fond of it. It was more of a blonde color and it wasnt end grain, but I didnt think the product was that great. I would check out Grothouse even though its more expensive.

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

I'm sure this has been mentioned/thought of, but I was at a friend's the other day who had a butcher block set in like this (love it!), but the best part about it was that she'd placed a pull-out trash cupboard directly beneath the section of block. Perfectly ergonomic for just scraping everything right in when done chopping.

I wish wish wish I'd thought of something like this myself, so just wanted to pass the idea along.

• erikanh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

circuspeanut, I didn't put a trash pull-out in this area because I already have one right across next to the cleanup sink. But I've been contemplating trying to find a compost container that would fit inside one the drawers beneath the butcher block. I'm a fanatical recycler but have never composted. If the composting idea doesn't work, I guess I can sweep most of the scraps into the garbage disposer located in the prep sink right next to the butcher block area.

I'm going to give Grothouse Lumber today and pick their brain about any other similar projects they may have done. I'm so undecided about inset or free-standing butcher block!!

Huge thanks to everyone so far for all your great suggestions and links!

E

• malhgold
    15 years ago

please post back what you find out and decide. Good luck!