Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Countertop trends

Posted by island (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 13:52

Another perspective on what's supposedly trending in countertops. Very few of these choices interest me, how about you?

http://freshome.com/2012/09/25/the-hottest-kitchen-counter-tops-move-over-marble/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Countertop trends

I don't know that any of these are "hot" because none of them are particularly new. Some of them are probably increasing in popularity as people look for alternatives to granite. Pewter tops are very expensive, so I don't think they will "trend" very much.

o
RE: Countertop trends

1. poured concrete: nice colors and finishes if contractor is exceptional, no seams, VERY porous, almost always cracks. (every instal I've ever seen developed cracks)

2. Butcher Block: hardly new; has the worst hygiene performance of any countertop material.

3. reclaimed wood - some different looks; good for the people who want to feel virtuous for using recycled material.

4. Cork - different, can look good. poor durablity

5. stainless steel - best hygiene performance but often looks too "clinical" or "commercial" for typical residential work

6. soapstone- again, hardly new. Has some panache because it was used early in our country's history because it could be worked with tools available. nice "soft" look. somewhat more maint than granite but durable because scratches are easily repaired.

7. recycled glass - not cheaper than granite as indicated in article. most products are glass chips in a resin or concrete base. generally expensive as at mid to upper range granite.

8. Pewter - nice soft look but also easily dented. expensive.

9. SLate - has a different look some find appealing. chips easily.

10. quartz - not to be confused with "quartz surface". actual slabs of quartz are exceptionally beautiful and very very durable as quartz is the hardest component in granite. expensive.

"quartz surface" is a manufactured product with quartz chips and other inclusions and dye to produce a designed color or look. Most successful "colors" are those that most closely mimic natural stone. More expensive than lower priced granites and susceptible to damage from heat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here