Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmohr_gw

Anyone have luck with Schluer cabinets and Lowe's?

kmohr
14 years ago

Anyone out there been pleased with Schuler cabinets at Lowes? Looking for some reinforcement as I consider pulling the trigger on SUCH a big purchase. Thanks.

Comments (16)

• mari_joan
    14 years ago

We did. Two years ago, we ordered $11,000 worth of natural cherry cabinets, Princeton style. 11' x 14' linear uppers and lowers with 5' island. Mix of drawers and doors. 3/4" plywood sides. Two glass uppers. We installed ourselves. Don't have any complaints. Drawer hardware is very nice, finish is good, very sturdy boxes. We had a few doors that were cracked. Lowes exchanged promptly. We had ordered the wrong size cabinet for over the refrigerator but they took it back, gave us full credit and ordered the correct size. I did not use their design service but gave them my plans and just had them write up the order. Between the time we first started talking to Lowes and the time we actually ordered, the pricing changed. They honored the lower pricing. All in all, I'd say we are pretty happy with the experience.

• marcy96
    14 years ago

I have Schuler cabinets from Lowe's. I was very pleased with the designer that helped me with my kitchen although I did a lot of my own research and looked through the Schuler spec book many times myself. The designer even came out to my house to look at my space and check the measurements on her own time. The cabinets arrived at my house the week that I was told, about 6 weeks after I ordered them, and were very well packaged. There was no damage to any of them. The cabinet finishes are beautiful. I have a combination of Oyster Vintage painted maple and Rustic Maple chestnut stained. Schuler will customize the size of almost any cabinet, although it's pricey to do so. They also offer integrated furniture ends. I ordered full plywood construction and the soft close drawers come standard with them. I had a couple of doors that needed replacing due to hairline cracks and a few extra pieces of molding that I needed to order. The Lowe's designer and Schuler rep were very responsive and they rushed ordered everything for me. I'm very happy with my cabinets. They definitely have a more expensive look and feel than other semi-custom lines like Kraftmaid.

• kmohr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nice to know there are good experiences out there . . . thanks for the confidence. About measuring- Dollhouse, Lowe's says the installer they recommend will come out and measure. They say I have to use their installer to get a guarantee on the cabinets (have to find out what that really means). Nice to know Mari Joan that you installed the cabs yourself (WOW!) and that Lowe's still gave you credit for ordering the wrong size cabinet, and was prompt on helping with problems. Any other advice?

• mailfox7
    14 years ago

I also have Schuler cabinets from Lowe's. I have the heirloom painted finish in Moral with a glaze. I love the color and the quality of finish and craftmanship. I was even able to order matching paint and glaze for custom corbels and trim I purchased separately and was using with the cabinetry and it matched beautifully. The Lowe's KD was fabulous; spent lots of patient hours designing at no cost to me. I learned so much from him and he helped figure out the very custom layout I wanted in a way that worked. Schuler cabinets are great if you need custom sizes. Yes, you pay more, but the end result was definately worth it. He guided me into big discounts, told me when they would be available to maximize my savings. He also recommended the best intaller, who was really topnotch. He came out and measured, to make sure my measurements were correct. That guarenteed that everything would fit as planned. When I had special needs as far as adding my own corbels that I had purchased separately, he accomodated their installation with the countertop fabricator, which meant an and extra visit. He also let me co-ordinate the furniture base and 1/4 round installation with my floor refinsiher, also creating extra visits. We did end up ordering extra mouldings, and anything left over that wasn't needed was credited back to us. Like marcy96, they came 6weeks after ordering, as planned, and arrived in excellent condition. The installer came out after they arrived and unpacked and inspected every cabinet and moulding to make sure they were perfect and all there. We actually ended up with 2 extra cabinets that were not charged to us. Since we didn't need them, we returned them, but they offered them to us. My GC was astonished that they were from Lowe's. He did everything but the cabinet installation on our remodel and couldn't believe the high quality of the cabinets. I couldn't be happier with the cabinets or the service from Lowe's.

• svwillow1
    14 years ago

Wen also purchased Schulers from Lowes. Ours was a DIY kitchen, so we supplied the measurements. At the time we purchased, Lowes would measure, at no charge, and then would be responsible for the fit. HD charged for this service, but refunded the cost if you purchased from them. In either case, I don't think you had to use their installers, but if you did use their installer, you saved the sales tax. It might be different in your state. Getting a good installer is one of the keys to getting a good job. Check references carefully.

Some on this board have gotten better pricing from local cabinet shops that carry Medallion cabinets. These are the same as Schuler just a different name. In our case, Lowes had the best deal.

Either way, these semi-custom cabinets (Schuler or Medallion) are well made with great finishes. We like them, and will buy them again when we redo the bathrooms.

• bostonpal
    12 years ago

I am looking at a few different cabinets and have similar designs moving along with each brand

Cabico from MidState Kitchens
    Schuler from Lowes

Lowes has alot of incentives going right now plus if we install with them there is no sales tax in MA--a big savings on a $20K kitchen. And the Lowes near us is offering a free Project Manager to coordinate all of the work--tile, granite, etc (of course then we buy everything pretty much through Lowes)

A friend who is a casual kitchen designer is telling me that Kemper is much better quality than either of these lines!

Any insight on relative quality of the above lines? And Kemper?

• Weatherford
    10 years ago

BE CAREFUL!!! SCHULER QUALITY IS GREAT BUT
    COMMUNICATION BETWEEN LOWES AND SUPPLIERS/CONTRACTORS BREAKS DOWN FREQUENTLY. Not only during our project, but, every single person we have talked with said the same thing! Lowes has a problem getting orders right. Problem is common across department. Schuler cabinets are the best possible quality I could hope for, but be prepared to be without a kitchen for months (6 MONTHS FOR US).

• robbcs3
    10 years ago

Shuler is medallion at your local kitchen and bath dealer. If you have one local it would pay to check them out as well

• gabbythecat
    10 years ago

We were going with Schuler, but it was really pricey to customize anything with them. Also, our KD at Lowes, while very sweet and helpful, had no good solution about how to integrate MW into cabinets. She only knew about over the range MWs (we didn't want that) and drawer MW options. We wound up going with a custom cabinet maker who cost less than Schuler and had a good solution for the MW dilemma.

• Majra
    10 years ago

Our kitchen is brand new, so no advice on the wear-and-tear, but we have been very pleased with both the Schuler cabinets and the installation crew from Lowe's. We have had a few minor bumps in the road but Lowe's has done right by us every step of the way.

• chiflipper
    8 years ago

Very "late to the party" here...thanks SO much for the info on Medallion.

• jenniferpichola
    6 years ago

Do not do a remodel through Lowe’s, and do not purchase Shuler cabinetry! Worst experience of my life on too many levels to mention! Process was months past the promised date. Cabinets kept coming in wrong. Had to threaten law suit to get compensation for all of the issues. So many problems, I can’t even remember them all at this point. These cabinets were skillfully marketed to me as top of the line. Shuler cabinets are sub par, at best! You could spend way less and get better quality! I regret it every day! The cabinets are flimsy, and if you go with a painted cabinet, the paint chips easily, and just does not hold up well. The touch up kits they give you only makes it look worse! Terrible cabinets! I SO wish I could rip them all out and get Kraft Maid! Ugh!

• jenniferpichola
    6 years ago

I am so shocked at the positive comments! I absolutely hate these cabinets! The paint is chipping, and becoming discolored at the little hairline seams (which to me, it was bad enough that there are seams, which I complained about, but nothing could be done).

• Denis Gilbert
    3 years ago

Just had the cabinets installed by Lowes, the whole process was a great experience from start to the final installation. The hired contractor from Lowes did a fantastic job!

I did my own installation of the handles for the doors and drawers and discovered that the inner panels were made from MDF rather than solid Maple as I ordered. The outside frames were solid maple but not the panels. Shuler website specifically states the use solid wood for these panels!

Not sure if there is a quality loss using MDF rather the solid wood, but the fact is I paid for solid wood!

Resolution is pending.

• HU-858650789
    2 years ago

Had my heart set on going with their cabinets through Lowe’s. Door styles and colors were all chosen, and coordinating room decor colors completed. While scheduling an appointment yesterday at Lowe’s, one in which itself, has been a challenge to get; I find out the lead time for cabinets is now 22 weeks. That puts the date now into January 2022. Unfortunately, we’ll be looking for other cabinet companies.