Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ehaberlin

Layout - wall oven appliance challenge

ehaberlin
15 years ago

At kitchenredo2 Âs advice, IÂm cross-posting from the appliance forum my kitchen layout here for your thoughts.

IÂd love feedback on the floorplan, though IÂm not really looking to change the layout as I quite love the design as is but IÂve been struggling with the wall oven choice and the possible heat gain issue associated with having the oven(s) next to the fridge. In the drawing below there is a cabinet between the oven and fridge, this is my fall back plan if there are heat gain issues.

For the wall oven, I thought a side door opening or French door oven would be nice because thereÂs only 3 feet of clearance in front of the ovens. The new Gagganeau model was exciting briefly but really is cost prohibitive and I was told itÂs made by Thermador, which given their customer service issues makes me nervous. The Blue Star french door wall oven interested me but I think itÂs too new and IÂm not sure IÂm prepared to be an early adopter.

I love the idea of Miele oven(s), but am worried about the clearance issues with the door open fully. IÂd like to be able to stand in front of my oven with ease when the doors are open.

IÂm now considering the GE single  double oven which by nature of being a double oven in the space of a single oven would have less deep oven doors when open. It appeals to me as well because as a cook I donÂt use my oven for big roasts except maybe 2-3 times a year. IÂm just not sure IÂm going to get the same quality of baking/roasting with this oven as the brands above.

I think Frigidaire or Electrolux also make a side-opening oven, but IÂve not really heard people speak of these much or at all.

Am I missing any other good alternatives for this space?

{{!gwi}}

{{gwi:1383424}}

Comments (9)

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

could you slide the range to the left a little and put the wall ovens in the corner (right next to stairwell). Then could you slide the fridge over (to somewhere between where it is now and where the wall ovens are) so it doesn't seem so in another room. The fridge seems really far away from everything. I know you said you don't want to substantially change the layout, but if you could at least slide it over a little maybe it would feel more integrated into your work zone.

• bmorepanic
    15 years ago

I know you put some guardrails up for information, but I don't like the positioning of the wall ovens.

If the door opens towards the window, it will bind on the wall - worst case being it bounces off towards you and you get burned. If towards the ref, it will bind on the side of the ref. To be able to take stuff out, you have to stand between the hot door and the wall -also a hazard. If the window has trim, even a front opening oven won't work because it would hit the window trim.

If that was my kitchen, I would narrow the aisle between the diner booth and the work area by 2 to 3 feet and move both the ov and the ref into the main work area. The "bar" would have a pantry-like object, an undercounter dorm ref and the sink.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

• lascatx
    15 years ago

I'm with bmore -- I don't care for the proposed location.

Where will you eat most meals? If down at that diner booth, the fridge is really in a terrible location. Every glass of milk, juice, bottle of salad dressing, butter, etc. will have to move through that working kitchen to the table. Refills -- as far as possible, short of the basement.

Speaking of a basement, any chance those stairs could be turned so that they come to the main floor in that butler's pantry-like hallway rather than into the kitchen proper? That would make the entire length of both walls available to kitchen use. I know, that's $$$, but it sure could have a huge impact.

I think work flow and traffic flow are bigger problems here than heat transfer between the fridge and ovens, even if your oven is on all day, every day.

• ehaberlin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the additional ideas and suggestions.

I wish I could turn those stairs. It was one of the first things we looked at, but unfortunately, IÂd end up with a slanted floor in my dining room to accommodate the earlier rise which would probably be a hazard for the unsuspecting and a challenge for dining ;-).

This remodel is truly for me and not necessarily with resale in mind. I do not have kids and will not be having kids, so juice and milk donÂt get a lot of use at my house. I donÂt go to the fridge for beverages very frequently at all. I do entertain a lot and one of the things I have learned about the traffic flow of my kitchen is that everyone congregates in that big open space. I opened it up even wider with the open doorway to the living/dining room. The open sight line from the living room/dining room is very appealing to me.

Today the fridge sits where the French doors are. It has been very much in the way on that side of the kitchen. I frequently have to ask people to shift so I can retrieve items IÂm preparing. I know that itÂs a bit far where it is, but in the scheme of things my kitchen is very small and the distance is simply not that great. I am leaning towards eliminating the cabinet between the oven and fridges so it is as mamadadapaige said more a part of my work zone.

As for the ovens, that corner appeals to me because I use the oven far less frequently than I use my cooktop and I prefer to have the additional prep space closer to the cooktop and where guests will be. IÂm usually prepping and cooking while company is there.

I do think the concern of a side door of the oven bouncing back and burning is a worry that hadnÂt occurred to me. It does make me lean more toward the GE single double oven with less deep traditionally opening doors.

The bar/prep sink area is accessible from the hallway and would allow people to head there for additional drinks via a different route.

IÂm loving the input as itÂs forcing me to really think about what it is I value and want from my kitchen. I also appreciate the reminders of functionality over design which I may be missing in my narrow focus.

Thank you!

• homepro01
    15 years ago

Ehaberlin,
    Why not a range? Are you considering a range and a set of separate double ovens? It seems like you may not use it as often that a double oven may not be that much of an advantage for you.

I also think the layout of the kitchen is not as conducive to cooking as it may look. I understand your limited space in the galley part of the kitchen but I would really use the wall with the second sink as a baking are and storage only area. I would figure out a way to move everything else into the galley portion of the kitchen. Consider maybe a fridge drawer in the cooking area to prevent the going back to the large fridge everytime.

I know this is not what you were looking to hear but right now you are just on paper rather than in the construction phase.

Good luck!

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

I posted in the other area but I would consider flipping the refrigerator and ovens if you want to keep them in this location.

If the sill height of the window is above 36" what about having an undercounter oven on a run of counter there, turning a corner and then having the refrigerator about where it is now. You would gain counterspace and may be able to do a corner pullout for long term storage.

• ehaberlin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Homepro01 I chose not to do a range because I wanted the space below the cooktop for storage of pots and pans. I use my cooktop and the associated equipment far more frequently than my oven.

When I use my oven, I tend to put things in, set a timer, and not return until the times up. With that in mind I felt the space gain under the cooktop was worthy of baninshing the range in favor of a wall oven. I don't think I'll do double ovens, unless its the GE single-double. Though I haven't completely eliminated the possiblity of double ovens. I will say the Miele bakers on this forum make that oven enticing.

• homepro01
    15 years ago

What size cooktop are you planning on?

• ehaberlin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

A 36" 5 burner. I'm leaning towards the Blue Star, but I haven't settled.

Palimpsest, that's an interesting idea about putting the oven under the window. I will definitely consider it.