Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisapico

Calling all creative minds - want to make white kitchen dazzle!

lisapico
16 years ago

Here's our plan in a nutshell.

We're gutting our kitchen and will build all new white, inset, shaker style cabinets with pulls; soapstone countertops; island with butcherblock and oak hardwood flooring.

Because I see this kitchen everywhere (and DH won't consider anything but white - it's his only strong opinion) I would like to put my personal stamp on the kitchen so that it doesn't look cookie cutter and am wondering what can I do to jazz it up? I'm a minimalist at heart but love a bit of an edge - something that will make this stand apart. Should I go with different hardware? Or reconsider island countertop? Any advice from your wonderful creative minds would be appreciated.

Comments (29)

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

I really love this look and am seriously considering it for myself, but the longer I hang out on this forum, the more the rebel in me thinks I need to do with something different.

Maybe jazz it up with a funky backsplash, interesting knobs/pulls. How about a different color or even wood for your island (although even this is getting over done these days)?

• muscat
    16 years ago

If you can't use color so much to mark the kitchen as your own, maybe use light and shapes. Really unique pendant lights? upper cabinets at different heights with interesting molding? As sarschol said, backsplash/hardware can be very influential- breakout with a little color/texture there?

• saskatchewan_girl
    16 years ago

My vote is for a unique backsplash : ) Glass tile or something with "bling". Same goes for faucet and sink!
    HTH

• eandhl
    16 years ago

What you describe is such a classic it is hard to improve on. Just make something different. The usual backsplash you see in this kit is subway white tile or painted beadboard, do something different. Very often you see Schoolhouse lighting in this beautiful classic, again do something different. If you plan to use island for real chopping keep the butcherblock. If not consider a different wood top, teak, mahogany, cherry or marble, granite. Consider painting the island a different color. Green, blue, red, black. Lots of options to make it your special kit and stay with the beautiful plan you have in mind.

• remodelfla
    16 years ago

Have you seen the pictures of the upper cabs that are smaller ( squares) with glass fronts and lit inside? WIsh I could find you a pic. If you had that you could funk up the place with your choice of pottery, artwork, or collections of whatever. The cabinets would stay true to the feel of your kitchen and you'd be able to make your mark with content. What's kinda cool is that you wouldn't be married to any one thing forever since you could change out what your displaying on a whim.

• luvnola
    16 years ago

I happen to oogle over and LOVE White kichens w/ Soapstone:) That being said, there are LOTS of ways to make it your own. You mentioned your island, could you change the cabinet color to something that is more you (such as red, black, wood, Green etc. possibly with a glaze) then let your choice dictate the top (although Butcher Block does go with everything). You could also have a lot of fun with your backsplash as well as your hardware and fixtures.

There are some really FABULOUS white kitchens with soapstone counters on the FKB. You may want to try searching them to see if anything spurs your creativity.

The good news is white with Soapstone is truly a classic look that can blend well with any style! Good Luck and HAVE FUN!

• plants4
    16 years ago

Take a look at the post (about 1-2 pages down) called something like "Kitchen Done!!! Pictures!!!!. It shows two things: 1) the effect of wall color, and 2) different lighting. The look is totally classic but the pendant lights are not. And they look great.

I'd be careful about being very traditional and then putting in something that looks like "today" but may look dated pretty soon. For example, I toured a completely remodeled house yesterday (4 stories!) all done to period. The kitchen was mostly too, with the addition of an island, the tall ceilings and white cabinets. But, the backsplash was too modern and the lighting was almost completely based on cans and it kind of had a jarring effect. To my mind, some modern pendant lights would not have had that effect but the backsplash did. Just my opinion.

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Can't beat the bones of this style, and I like all the suggestions above. Lots of room for whimsy or fun, color, pizazz, or whatever you're after on the backsplash, hardware, and lighting. If you're afraid the butcherblock is 'boring,' you could do something a little jazzier with it...Checkerboard two types of wood or have an inlaid border...or maybe a different type of wood than you usually see.

• lisapico
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to each and every one of you. Keep 'em coming if you're so inclined!

• hoffman
    16 years ago

I did that style kitchen and put in a green crackle backsplash, which is a little different than the usual white backsplash but still period-appropriate:

• amanda_t
    16 years ago

I know what you mean about seeing it everywhere... I think a subtle but definitely unique way to change this style of kitchen would be in the hardware. Consider stained wood knobs instead of metal pulls. Or unlacquered brass bin pulls instead of the ubiquitous nickel. I think it would be very pretty to have unlacquered brass pulls and lighting and faucets. Or maybe furniture-style bail pulls instead of bin pulls. The more I look at the stained wood knobs, the more I love them. Someone on the forum has them, Ivette (pirula)? Is that right? Anyway, they are traditional-looking, but just different enough.

Here is a link that might be useful: Painted cabs with stained knobs

• mary_in_nc
    16 years ago

consider putting a splash of color in with your stove. As others have said already the backsplash can also be a place to show some creativity

• lisapico
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Julie's kitchen in the link you sent is amazing! Thank you so much for all of your input!!

• caligirl_cottage
    16 years ago

I too am drawn to the white shaker style, farmhouse sink look, even though maybe it's being done to death. I think it's timeless though. I agree with others. Use your backsplash as a way to make a splash. Maybe a stainless steel subway tile, instead of the usual white subway. Perhaps some color (I love those green tiles) and also I love a bold island, like red, green or blue.

• lascatx
    16 years ago

I was ordering my cabinets about 2 years ago and before everything was this sort of look. I do have a cherry island with black counters and put white marble on my white cabinets (also being done a lot). My food storage wall (fridge and pantry) is a 10 ft wall of 24" deep cabinets. I did them in a custom blue paint finish and I put the same blue plus a metal finish in a 3-piece liner through the subway tile backsplash. I've seen more blue in kitchens this past year, and a lot of subwqays, and even 3 color kitchens, but at least I feel like it still has my personality and fits my house.

Now everyone else just stop! Go back to pickled oak or something! ;-)

• farmhousebound
    16 years ago

DH and I are renovating/adding onto his GM's farmhouse. We will be expanding the kitchen but going with a very period look in keeping with the house. I found a pic where the trim was a moss green and the walls a light cream/putty color that I really liked. I have done the one wall in the kitchen that will not be changed during construction and absolutely love the way it turned out--even DH likes it alot. I will also be adding color through antique pieces thoughout the kitchen.

• bethv
    16 years ago

I've two ideas.. How about one of your favorite quotes stenciled on the soffit? The other one is what we're doing in our white kitchen.. we found a wonderful dealer of antique turn-of-the century tiles and we're doing our backsplash in them. They're a splurge but they're very beautiful and unique.
    This is a link to pictures of their art noveau tiles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique Tiles

• flseadog
    16 years ago

There is a reason this kitchen is classic. My dear grandmother had this kitchen in her house in Pennsylvania that was built just after the Civil War. In the 50's as I was growing up the appliances were up to date but the cabinetry and work surfaces were original and she put her own stamp on the room with paint and all of her kitchen utensils. This was definitely not a "decorated" kitchen but a working room. This is where every cousin celebrated birthdays with her home made 3 layer chocolate cake. One of my Aunt's at age 86 still owns the home. Again, the appliances and the paint and the accessories have changed but not the basic cabinets or the work surfaces. I don't think you should worry that you are doing something "done to death" by fashion. Make it your own with your own style (even your own mess of mail or surface clutter) and I don't think you'll ever regret it.

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Check out Julie7549's kitchen for a white kitchen w/dazzle! She doesn't have soapstone counters, but it gives you some ideas of things to do and shows you how lights, backsplash, and a different colored island can make a big splash! (OK, I love this kitchen, can you tell? :-) )

(different Julie than Julie_SD in previous post)

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: We are done!! (Julie7549's Finished Kitchen)

• sholt576
    16 years ago

I'm with those who suggest the splash of color/distinction in the stove. I love orchidlover's kitchen on the FKB.

And of course, my current infatuation is with orange

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB orchidlover's kitchen

• sweeby
    16 years ago

So Lisa -
    Do you want the whole white inset - soapstone 'vintage look'? (just with a twist)
    Or do you want an entirely 'different' look that happens to use white insets and soapstone?
    How do you want your kitchen to feel?

"Because I see this kitchen everywhere (and DH won't consider anything but white - it's his only strong opinion) "
    It sounds to me like you want something different -- something that DOES NOT look like (or almost look like) the "see this kitchen everywhere" version.

For that reason, if DH is stuck on white cabinets, why not bail on the soapstone? There are so many other fabulous countertop choices that will completely change the look of your kitchen. I'd go through the finished kitchens blog, the Gallery, the 'Kitchens we Love' blog -- Collect pictures of kitchens with white cabinets that somehow look different.

"What you describe is such a classic it is hard to improve on."
    The poster who wrote this provided a very real and valuable insight. White inset cabinets and soapstone is a 'classic look' -- and changing it could end up being 'wrong' instead of 'different'. Think of the little black dress, classic pumps, a strand of pearls, and a wild, funky hat. Different? - yes. Can it be pulled off? - probably. But if you drop the pearls and change to Wow! shoes with the hat -- then you have a totally different statement.

• lovemyboys
    16 years ago

I love that look! What about doing your backsplash in carrera or calacutta slab marble? I think that would look amazing and be something you don't see everyday. Just a thought. Have fun... it's a timeless look and one you will love.

• lisapico
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You're all fabulous! Thanks a million times over for your suggestions. I really feel good about the overall look and know I can't go wrong with it. I think I'll try to get some unique pendant lighting, might consider Ann Saks tile for back of range and maybe paint the base of my island. Thanks again folks!

• plants4
    16 years ago

I would never have considered ceramic knobs until I saw these in a store. They are "artisan" and some lovely dark colors. Something to consider if you wanted to "break the mold" in a smallish way.

The website is really kind of awful to navigate but the information and photographs are fine and I made the link to the right page.

Here is a link that might be useful: Artisan Cabinet Knobs

• rosie
    16 years ago

How about using art glass in colors of choice as a major feature--definitely a lovely and classy way to provide dazzle, edge, jazz, energy. This would need special thought to display, including throughlighting, natural and otherwise. One gorgeous but elegantly low-key kitchen I remember used the top row of cabinets to display Indian pottery, lit as in a gallery, but glass would be stunning.

• lisapico
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I love the idea of art glass. However, because we're adding three windows I'm losing a ton of uppers. In fact I only have two sets of uppers and most of my storage will be in island and wall pantry. I'll give it some thought. Thanks for input.

• pecanpie
    16 years ago

Be sure you use the best quality hardware you can possibly afford. We have your exact kitchen, with the exception of a quiet marron castor granite instead of butcherblock on the island. Your cabinets, plain, classic and white, will need beautiful jewelry.

I have seen these kitchens with cheaper knobs and pulls. The shaker cabinet design is too simple to pull this off.

If you have a cookbook display area, your collection will add visual interest. Rugs, again, the best you can get, will add dimension, color and individuality.

Your hood area gives you a great deal of latitude if you want to introduce another material (aged copper? iron?) or an industrial shape, perhaps.

Email me privately if you would like a picture.

-pecan

• igloochic
    16 years ago

I was just thinking of doing a reply and didn't want to sound like a snob...but I was going to say exactly what pecanpie did LOL so I guess I'm not alone in that opinion.

White and classic is SO gorgeous! But only if it's done with the utmost of quality in mind. There's an old design saying (that I can't repeat verbatum, but you'll get the idea) that the simpler the design, the higher the quality necessary to pull it off. When there is no one star in a room....than the whole room is the star and it has to be designed accordingly. You can actually get away with a cheaper kitchen by doing a few high end pieces with lesser items mixed in, but not when you go with those very very classic looks like you're thinking about.

But frankly, that look is what we'll do in our next (ok I guess it's next next kitchen since we have two in progress). Simple, clean, white with white marble on the perimiter countertops and black marble on the island. It's so classic, so elegant, so fabulous, that done right, it won't need any extra "zing" because the whole room with be zing itself :)