Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
water based vs oil based hardwood floor refinishing?

Posted by casey3 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 18, 08 at 13:50

Any input on which is better durability wise? Has anyone used the water-based method on oak floors? We're set to do oil based, but I'm considering water based b/c of the cat, time we'll have to be out of the house, fumes even afterwards, etc.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: water based vs oil based hardwood floor refinishing?

We have water-based on our oak floors, satin finish. I have no idea about the durability issue. We were told water was just as good as oil, but the floor guy would've told us anything...

The floors look great, though, and it's been 3 years.

o

Our floor guy is going to do 4 coats of water-based polyurethane. he swears it's just as good as the oil - and since we are doing the whole downstairs, a lot less disruptive.

o

If you go with water, then you will want a premium brand and you may want to stain the oak first, if you are wanting them to look mellow lioke oil does over time. A good water brand is Traffic.

o

we have a very busy household, 4 teenagers, dog, etc and our floor guy very highly recommended oil over water - we have three coats in the kitchen and two thoughout the rest of the house - it looks and is holding up beautifully....a friend has three coats of water base that is showing wear and tear after two years (less busy household...only two teens!) - yes you have to be out of your home for several days - but there was very little if any odor when we returned...

o

I was also told (by someone without any interest in selling me the service or product) that oil is more durable so thats what we went with.

I will warn you that it is extremely stinky and must be very toxic while curing. If thats a concern for you, the water is your choice.

o

Someone mentioned Traffic, by Bona. That's the best. It's water based but with a hardener. Water based is always lighter so one either stains the floor first, or uses an oil based prep coat. Call the people at Bona and they'll tell you how. Make sure you get Traffic, and not the cheaper air cured stuff. The hardener is mixed at the time of application.

o

Thanks so much everyone for your input. I'm talking to the refinishing company today and feel like I have a lot more info before having the conversation.

o

Our floor guy rec oil - 4 coats on new white oak in Kit - it is ready for another coat which he also highly rec every 1-2 yrs before any of the finish is breaking down - they rough up the surface coat & apply another - beats having to refinish or living w/a yucky looking floor!

don't use any oil based products on the hw flooring or they will not be able to re-apply

o

One thing to consider is that there is a difference in the look of the finishes. On oak oil will be more yellow and will continue to yellow. Water, when used with a water sealer, is more pastel like and the grain of the oak is less aggressive. We preferred to tone down the oak and are very happy. Test some samples.

o

Just talked to the floor refinisher and he said that on the older white oak floors the oil based swedish finish works much better and will be more durable. He convinced me to go w/ the oil based, especially knowing we'll be out of house for a week on vacation during the time.

o

casey3,
Sounds like you have made your decision but if you need more advice post your question on the flooring forum as there are some great hardwood floor experts over there. My only concern with the oil base would be yellowing in the future; I think the poly does not yellow but those "floor guys" would know. HTH

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here