Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you love/hate your hood/hood liner? Why?

Posted by stacylh (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 13:39

Trying to decide on the ventilation for the 36" gas rangetop we will have in new kitchen. I'm planning on having the cabinetmaker do the hood and leaning toward the Vent-a-hood insert system.

I've read mixed reviews on it but the appliance salesman assures me they are quiet and perform well.

But, I have to decide on the color (black, white, stainless) with our slightly off white cabinets. Stainless is $250 more but probably worth it.

Do you like or hate your system and why?

Do any of you have a make-up system also installed?

TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you love/hate your hood/hood liner? Why?

We have an imperial 36 inch stainless liner. Hate it! It is so loud, and the knobs to turn the lights on fall off after a few months. The tiny screws that hold the knobs in place aren't adequate...I actually superglued one on because I was tired of it dropping from the sky while I was cooking.

o

I have written about my Tradewind liner many times on here . It is wonderful. We have used it hard for 7 years. It is quiet and efficient and easy to clean . We have a 1400 cfm/54" wide system with the roof mounted blower.

Sjerin has the unit also, after reading my reviews. and told me on another thread the other day how great it is.

Our GC built the custom surround for the liner. He installed all duct work and the roof blower. It is wonderfully quiet and I only use it on low or med most of the time. We stir fry and deep fry a lot so I have tested it to the max for years. I remove the baffles weekly and clean them. They are always a mess :) A great sign. After all these years I have never cleaned one spot of grease off of my open shelves adjacent to the cooking area or off of the wood surround. No need to...it all goes on the baffles.

I hope that you can find what will serve you well. Oh and no I do not have nor did I need make up air. We have 11 and 12 ft ceilings in an 1890 home so there is plenty of air. I have no problem with my gas fire places while using the blower. Here are 2 pics and if you click on it there are many more in the albums. c

Cook top area and wood hood w/ Tradewind liner

Photobucket

o

I have a Kobe hood. Love it. Quiet, easy to clean. I don't know if they make inserts, but I would think so.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here