Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen layout design help requested

Posted by SparklingWater (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 13:38

I've been thinking of asking for your design help for quite a while so I spent most of the weekend doing hand drawn layout with hopefully accurate measurements and have posted photos below. Not an artist, somewhat math challenged and shaky handed.

New and old:
- The soffits are coming down to open up the space! I've spent many hours mapping out what's up there (removed trim and opened up a little), and baring knowing the ventilation ceiling elbow width, I've mapped out pretty much all visible electrics (2), vent ducts (2-one being capped) and absence of major plumbing running in the soffit. I think it is doable. Yeah.

-We're keeping the current space, so sink and gas plumbing probably will at most need slight modifications. A gas range will replace the current 36" cooktop.

-Electrical switches, dimmers and outlets are bountiful in both rooms as are ample free amps panel amps. Continue with some form of under the cab lighting.

-No major structural changes in layout are planned.

-My main kitchen design issues are:
a. 8'6" ceiling (plumb) or 102" inches. Should I do 42" uppers as I've been planning but recently had second thoughts on?

b. The main prep space between main sink and range has been increased from its current measly 27" to 36" by shifting range toward brick wall and removing most filler, yielding only a 12" base next to range near wall right which should be 15" either side. We currently have a 30" sink base. I'd love to get something other than stainless, but Silgranit starts at 33 sb, and Kohler 30" apron is crazy expensive.

c. Should the corner L layout incorporate a 14" w x 24"d x 96"h pullout pantry next to 36" refrigerator, so as to avoid towering 36"x 12" x 96" pantry in pantry eat in room?

d. The kitchen corner "L" area truly needs some help. Pull out pantry issue aside, how would you incorporate a 24" Sharp MW, either 24" drawer or 24"under-cabinet MW and still have storage space? Either way, a 3 drawer base is desired for heavy cooking pots. Yes we do cook, actually my husband is a great cook and I like to bake. I have measured all our pots/plans: max length: 21", max depth: 13", max height: 14". Combined weight just short of 140 pounds, Need to discard some more.

e. Our pantry room beverage center, upon opening the back door after grocery shopping, gives is a slight "in your face" presence. Should the 72" wall of cabs be downsized to 66" or 60", with the tall 36" pantry downsized to 33" (mandates custom) or 30" (more tall cabinet style choices).

-The appliances will be a 36" NG range and hood 36" Pro freestanding refrigerator, and Miele DW. Make up air will be added using an 8" Broan MUA damper. I've discussed this with multiple GC's and Broan.

-Two unique kitchen layout requirements are: the refrigerator space/size is fixed in position due to need to pull up of underlying, bracketed wood floor as it provides access to furnace room below, necessitated by the metal spiral staircase adjacent to refrigerator the previous owners installed.

-We're going with white painted maple cabinets with probably a modified face frame shaker door style over a mitered door and 24" base depth with probably 12" upper depth, depending on cabinet selection.
-Counter top measures in about 48 1/2 sf. White or black granite, maybe quartz are being considered.
-Floors original oak will be refinished. I have good supply of extra matching wood.

Early on I reviewed the National Kitchen and Bath suggestions and this layout meets almost all by incorporating changes to the already functional galley like layout. I am considering a change in clean up zone by moving it to the pantry (all of two feet max from the kitchen).

Thank you for your candid suggestions given the constraints above.

Overall kitchen/pantry layout:
kitchen/pantry photo 0226031212_zps2dec11db.jpg

Kitchen layout:
Kitchen 12' x 12' photo 0226031213_zpsb5dd19e3.jpg

Kitchen stair well wall dimensions:
Kitchen stairwell wall photo 0226031156_zps16637263.jpg

"L" corner wall dimensions:
L corner wall photo 0226031201_zps29769411.jpg

Pantry layout:
Pantry photo 0226031210_zps0c839483.jpg

Edited for measurement corrections.

This post was edited by SparklingWater on Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 15:41

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen layout design help requested

I would want the end cabinet of the L by the fridge to be a roll out cart for additional prep space. Despite the size, you have very little prep space where you actually need it. The cart can give you that needed space, and then tuck away when not needed.

o

live_wire_oak, I've seen some carts that tuck under the counter, lower than typical 36" height for the cart, more like a baker counter height.

To increase prep space I thought of a 30" sink base in the kitchen, but they are not available in Silgranit which I was hoping for. The 33" SB current layout with the recessed wall cabinet above, also balanced out the 36" range.

Where would you suggest a 24" microwave on this L? If I did the cart under the counter by the refrigerator, then I still could place the 24" Sharp under the upper cabinet. When you walk in from the main house hallway, you would not see a MW on the L as first view. That is important to me as we've had a tall double ovens there forever. Thank you very much.

This post was edited by SparklingWater on Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 17:52

o

Just bumping this up in hopes of getting some help. This is a very functional kitchen while cooking. You retrieve from the refrigerator, wash in the sink, prep between sink and stove and serve.

Kitchen prep space currently is 27" inches sink to stove. We've managed in the past, but for the remodel, I've enlarged prep space between sink and range to 36" by removing wall side fillers and adjusting the range location to the right. Using a 30" kitchen sink base instead of a 33" sink base would yield another 3" for the major kitchen prep zone (total of 39").

I think a lot of about a separate clean up zone in the pantry. I considered a second DW here, but given the size of the kitchen/pantry in general I couldn't justify it, due in part to concern about what happens when a DW isn't regularly used. Should I consider moving the main DW to the pantry in your opinion? The pantry sink is plumbed for an ice maker which is old and being removed. A garbage disposal would be needed, but doesn't that also mean separate sink venting? Probably the two sinks vent together already? The pantry sink cabinet could easily be changed to 24" w, 8 to 10" deep for cleanup, allowing the balance of the base pantry cabs to be 24" and 24" (I thought of an under counter 24" refrigerator to minimize need for drinks from fridge). I have gone back and forth on this clean up function point. One disadvantage to moving the current DW location is dishes are closer to the cook in the kitchen but not by much. On an aside, in twenty years of raising kids, we never had any problem with the DW next to the kitchen door as we always kept it (the DW door) closed when not being emptied or filled.

All advice is welcomed. Thanks.

This post was edited by SparklingWater on Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 19:43

o

Shamelessly bumping this up again in hopes of help from you kitchen gurus. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here