Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
try_hard

Try_Hard's granite layout experience (lots of PICS)

try_hard
16 years ago

GW Kitchen Forum - I am almost 5 weeks away from closing on my new construction house. Here is a description of my granite layout experience, which occurred last Friday. This is actually copied over from my personal blog and written with the assumption that my friends and family are reading it, therefore, I speak with a familiar tone and as if my audience is uninformed about granite. You will also recognize that I used a picture of Theresab1's island granite to explain why people attend their layout session. I hope that's okay - if not, somebody speak up and I'll delete the picture.

My granite yard calls my granite "Golden Mountain" but if you google that nothing comes back, so maybe that's just their own name for it. It's 3cm.

Perhaps this post will help those of you with upcoming layout appointments feel better prepared or know what to expect.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Last week the granite people went to the job site and took all the countertop measurements and made wooden templates for the granite and quartz countertops. Today, they brought our granite slabs into the fabrication shop and marked them (according to the templates and measurements) for cutting. They call this part "the layout".

I learned on the GardenWeb Kitchens Forum that it's quite common for people to attend the layout session to work with the granite fabricator to decide the layout. This seems to be particularly popular with people who buy granite that has highly varied patterns and colors and lots of movement. And that certainly describes our granite! I asked Granite-Saleswoman-Donna if I could attend the layout and have a say-so in the plans and she said I could. So this morning I went to the granite shop and worked with Granite-Layout-Guy-Jason to mark the slabs. It took longer than I expected so I ended up using a few hours of vacation time for it, but it was worth it.

I mentioned our granite having lots of movement. Basically that means it has big swirls or large changes in color; the appearance is not uniform or consistent. If you buy granite that has less movement it will be of uniform color and/or pattern and it probably doesn't matter how the layout is done because the whole slab looks the same. For example, here is a close-up picture of a popular granite called New Venetian Gold:

Typically, the whole slab looks just like this. So it usually doesn't really matter from which part you cut the countertops since they will all look basically the same.

But if you go with a granite like this one (Azul Macaubas):

Then you would definitely want to be present at the layout to be sure the granite guy selects your favorite piece/section for your kitchen. Since our granite looks like this:

We definitely wanted a say in which sections and slabs were used in our kitchen.

Our kitchen and butler's pantry will use 2 slabs. One slab is used for the island (48-1/8" x 108") and the other slab will be used for the wall cabinets and butler's pantry. Here is the measurement sheet for our granite:

Both slabs were stored outside last night so they were wet and lightly coated in ice when we started the layout. Granite-Jason uses a white-out pen to mark the slabs and then applies duct tape and stickers to identify measurements, piece location, and edge type. Tape doesn't stick to icy, wet granite so Jason used a hairdryer-thingy and then a small blowtorch to heat up the granite enough to sweat out all the moisture. Here you can see him using the blowtorch.

The wooden things are the templates for the cooktop wall. After much discussion, we decided this was the best place to position the cooktop wall because it included alot of the clear and amber quartzite chunks we liked and the seam, which will be under the cooktop, should not be too noticeable. Here is a close-up of the sample, which shows the clear and amber chunks:

The granite is sitting on this tilting, lifting table:

After he dried the slab we spent about half an hour placing the cooktop wall, oven wall, and butler's pantry templates.

Here is the final, marked-up slab:

And on this one I drew pink lines to show you which sections will be used. The left one is the butler's pantry, the top, small one is the oven wall in the kitchen, and the two on the bottom right are the cooktop wall. You will notice we did not use any of the salt-n-pepper looking stuff on the left side of the slab - we don't like that as well as the other sections.

After finishing the first slab, they moved it back out to the yard and brought in the island slab.

I didn't get a picture of the final markings on the island slab but it will basically be like this. The smaller pink rectangle in the sink.

If everything goes according to schedule, the pieces will be cut next week and installed on Friday, February 28...

try_hard

Comments (25)

• plllog
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Woohoo!! Try_hard, that's beautiful stone! Thanks so much for the photo essay showing the process.

Any way this could be added to the FAQ?

• try_hard
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Plllog: Thanks for the comments. I don't know if you are asking me or the FAQ Owner if it can be added to the FAQ, but if you're asking me, I'm okay with that.

try_hard

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Really really interesting Try Hard!

Love the granite!

I've lost track of your final layout- is there a thread that I can go back to to find out what you decided on? That'll be a much more productive use of my time that cleaning house and doing laundry- ugh!

• try_hard
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Raehelen,

Unfortunately, I don't have a nice clean final layout drawing that I can post here. But here are a few photos of my cabinets as they were being installed.

This is a view of the kitchen from the family room. The back of the island has doors for more storage. (In retrospect, I should have skipped that extra storage and made the island less deep so that I could fit a 15" overhang, but oh well, hindsight is always 20/20, right?) There will be a 12" overhang there for a breakfast bar. The tall pantry on the right is not installed in this picture but in a later photo you will see that it fits against the wall with the other cabinets:

The island was constructed in 2 pieces so they could get it into the house. The island will be stained and is roughly 4' x 9'. There is a bookcase on the end. The island will hold the sink and the dishwasher. I'm standing in the kitchen nook to take this photo:

Here is a view of the cooktop wall after it received its first coat of primer. All the wall cabs will be painted creamy white. I will have a GE Profile 36" induction cooktop here. The vent is a ventahood that vents to the outside. Here you see the pantry has been put in its place. There is also a walk-in pantry off the mudroom that's between the kitchen and garage.

And here is the oven wall. We will have an Electrolux ICON convection electric oven here and the coordinating convection microwave above it:

Here is the lower cab for the butler's pantry. It will be stained to match the island. The section in the middle will hold a built-in wine rack:

The door on the right is hiding a pullout in which we will store the small number of liquor bottles we own. I wanted them out of the way yet accessible - no digging into the dark cabinets if we needed a hit of the hooch. I had the cabinetmaker put higher sides on it to keep bottles from falling out of the pullout:

The liquor bottle pullout was inspired by this picture I found on the internet, presumably here on the Kitchens forum. I don't recall whose kitchen this is or else I would give credit for it:

try_hard

• try_hard
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Natesgramma - the install is scheduled for this Friday, 2/29/08. We did not buy the 2 whole slabs; we are just paying for the amount used. We won't have any leftovers with which to decorate our side yard. ;-)

try_hard

• theresab1
    16 years ago

looks great, and its fine to use my island pic. I found our templating experience to be very stressful and I kept second guessing which parts of the slabs we selected etc... Love your granite!

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Thanks Try_hard,

Wow, looks awesome, so far. When I saw the priming on those cupboards, I thought what a shame to paint over that nice wood- but then realized I was looking at the island, and you're going to stain that- Whew!!!

So hard to try and figure out how you want all the pullouts configured before you've lived in the new kitchen. I actually have a liquor pullout in my antique mahogany buffet (the more things change, the more they remain the same)that works perfectly to fit my CD's!!!

{{gwi:1666078}}

• oruboris
    16 years ago

That stone looks just like the 'new colonial dream' at one of the stone yards I visited, which was nothing like the same named stone at two others.

Your kitchen is going to be great!

• remodelfla
    16 years ago

What a helpful thread to those of us who would like to learn more about the templating process. Thanks for taking the time to post!

• try_hard
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Theresab1 - Glad you don't mind. When I was trying to explain to my family/friends (via my blog) that one sometimes want a specific section of a slab to be used in a specific way, your island immediately popped into my mind and I just had to use it to illustrate my point.

try_hard

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

What an awesome thread try_hard! We were not allowed to be present during our fabrication :-( so it was nice seeing the actual process in your pics. Great explanations too!

• try_hard
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, cat_mom. Mt granite fabricator probably didn't plan on me being at the layout, either, but I was determined to participate.

try_hard

• allison0704
    16 years ago

Great pictures. Beautiful granite. What is the name? - I missed it somehow.

• try_hard
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Allison0704 - my granite yard calls it "Golden Mountain" but I can't find any Google hits on that, so maybe they made up that name.

Thanks for the comments!
    try_hard

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

Great pix and explanation of the process. This will help lots of others know what to expect and what to ask for.

• gneegirl
    16 years ago

Thanks from me too!!

I wasn't able to go to the great event - had to work to pay for it all!! But I always wondered how it was all done - decided, put together, etc. This would be great for the FAQ!

BTW, great granite choice!

• kortez15
    16 years ago

try_hard,

Can you tell me more about your island?? I just posted my kitchen layout (titled "layout thoughts???") and one of the areas of concern is that my island is 3'6" x 9'6". Around here, that's pretty long. So when I read that your was 4'x9', I got excited. Actually, your layout is very similar to mine. Any more pictures of the island, front side, back side, sides??? Thanks!!!

• try_hard
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kortez15:

The island cabinet is 36-1/4" by 106". The countertop that sits on top of it will be approx. 48-1/4" by 108". That gives us about a 12" overhang on the breakfast bar.

I don't have many pictures yet because the island was stained early last week and covered in plastic while the rest of the house was painted.

Here are the bookcase doors, open. The bookcase is at the nook end of the island:

This is a first draft sketch from the cabinetmaker with incorrect measurements but you can see what the front of the island looks like:

This is a hidden electrical outlet that will be on the front of the island. The electric hasn't been installed yet but you can see that you tilt out the cover to access it. This is so that I can use electric at the left end of the island if I need to. Since it won't be used often, I went with the hidden tilt out. There is also electric at the right end of the island.

The door under it is a false door - it doesn't open.

I don't really have much else that I can tell you about the island at this time. I hope to see it in person this weekend and take more pictures.

try_hard

• Cloud Swift
    16 years ago

Very nice job documenting the process. Good writing too. We went to our layout too. Our stone had a lot of pattern and the fabricator encouraged it. In temperate Sacramento, the slabs were outside on A-frames. Since we had some layout to match seams, I'm glad we could see the two slabs together and decide how to layout the pieces on both non-island slabs at once.

I especially like the pattern on your island slab.

• try_hard
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Cloud_Swift.

try_hard

• starpooh
    16 years ago

Hi try_hard - I saw your comment about adding this to the FAQ. Could you please email me if you're still ok with me doing this? starpooh at gmail dot com.
    Thanks!!

• cheri127
    16 years ago

I'm not a big fan of granite, but those slabs are gorgeous. I can't wait to see it installed. You're making me second guess my soapstone! And thanks for the tutorial!!

• napagirl
    15 years ago

Bumping before it falls off ...

Not sure if this got added to the FAQ as starpooh was willing to do.

Also, check out the pics of the pull out liquor drawer, and the hidden electrical outlet in the island ... both good features!

• athomesewing
    9 years ago

Hoping for more info regarding Try_Hard's hidden electrical outlet.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida