Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

What to do if you don't like stainless steel and black?

lavender_lass
13 years ago

I could really use some help with appliances! I do not want stainless steel or black appliances, but the white ones sometimes looks so cheap. I'm really having a hard time finding a wall oven/microwave I like, in anything besides stainless steel.

I'm planning an L-shaped kitchen, with an island and on the two walls I have fridge, sink, dishwasher, range and wall oven/microwave. I want a white sink and have found okay fridges and dishwashers (could always do a cabinet panel) and even ranges aren't too bad...but the wall ovens and microwaves are not very nice.

Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places. Have you seen any nice looking white wall ovens? Are there any other choices? Thanks in advance :)

Comments (30)

• billp1
    13 years ago

Just Google search White wall ovens. Plenty out there of good quality.

Electrolux, GE and many others have white wall ovens.

• research_queen
    13 years ago

what about a different coloured wall oven? I think bluestar has those.

• cali_wendy
    13 years ago

Ok, maybe not very practical, but I love this vintage stove.

Jenn-Air has a floating glass white option for their microwave/wall oven combos. I've seen it in person and I think it is a pretty looking white appliance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage stove

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Research queen and billp- Thank you both for the suggestions. I will definitely look at those sites!

Cali Wendy- I love the idea of a vinage stove like that...my problem, I don't have natural gas out here. Electric or propane only, but it would be fun to find something more vintage/cottage style :)

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

Lavender, you might have already seen these, but there are a few outfits that manufacture custom "skins" for all the major (and minor) brands of appliance. I looked into this seriously before I found my own vintage stove, and Frigo has a great reputation. It would add $200 or so to the cost of the appliance, but if you find a model you like on sale, etc, it could make all the difference? I'm fond of colored appliances myself, and I feel your pain. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Frigo Design

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

You either need to cover with cabinetry or use something like the items in the link,

Here is a link that might be useful: vintage look appl.s

• xand83
    13 years ago

We were recently appliance shopping. We weren't looking for white, but if you like, Ikea has some nice white appliances. I think they are painted white with glass on top, so pretty fresh looking. I included the link to their oven below. They are non-branded (I believe, at this point) and are made by Whirlpool. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: White Ikea Oven

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

White always looks clean and crisp. It's what we always had up until we redid this kitchen last year and went to SS. I've found that the problem with white appliances is that the plastic trim yellows and then the piece looks older than it really is. So look for something that has as little plastic trim as possible. The glass-fronted look is very nice and I think cuts down on the plastic.

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

Oh, that reminds me, I was subletting an apartment in Germany recently and they had an IKEA branded stove made by Bosch. I wonder if this is only for the European market, or perhaps available in Canada IKEA?

I recall someone here going the Canadian IKEA route when they needed a differently-configured/nicer looking budget oven. Might be worth taking a gander.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

How do you know it was Bosch? Most ikea appliances in Europe are Whirlpool Italy, so I'm curious.

• Fori
    13 years ago

I agree--a lot of the white ones look cheap. The glass-fronted ones are probably your best bet, unless you want to go high end painted.

TURBOCHEF!!!!!!!

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

Jenn-Air and maybe other brands carries appliances (wall ovens, MWs, etc.) in an oiled bronze finish.

Bluestar wall ovens come in 190 colors! I don't think they sell MWs though. Too bad - their ovens and ranges look awesome.

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

I seem to recall that you like blue? (or is that Beagles?) Anyway, here's a blue MW and its reviews

Try over on the appliance forum, too. Might be some good ideas.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: reviews of RCA micro

• Buehl
    13 years ago

I seem to recall there's "appliance paint"...anyone? I think if I had a white kitchen I might look into cobalt blue...one of my favorite colors!

Seriously, perhaps you can find a paint color that you might like for your appliances. It would give you a truly custom and unique kitchen!

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Off topic:
    Nice knowing that my white appliances are cheap looking. To you, not to me. I would have said affordable, practical, timeless, fadless, need less dusting, need less wiping.
    [No need to respond folks. Return to the Lavender's topic, please.]

• ae2ga
    13 years ago

Since the link to Elmira was posted, I'll post the link for Heartland. Vintage looking appliances in various colors with an all electric option. Alas, no microwave.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heartland Classic appliances

• macybaby
    13 years ago

hehehe - florantha! When I read this thread I thought the title should be "what to do if you don't like Stainless, black or white?"

Got to admit, that does rather limit a person's choices

Like others have said, the main way to keep white looking nice is to limit the plastic. My white wall oven looks great, the fronts are glass and the handles are painted metal, it has not changed color one bit. The main panels of my fridge look great - but the plastic handles not so good. The "funny" looking part is the plastic water/ice dispenser insert that has changed color. I've about talked DH into getting a fridge without a door dispenser. The fridge is about 7 years old.

The DW is the same, only the top plastic part where the controls are looks bad. The rest is still crisp white (and painted metal) I'm looking at one that has no plastic on the front.

I'm not worried about the MW - mine sits on a shelf and it's easy enough to replace. But after two years, nothing on it is turning yellow.

My washer and dryer look pretty good - only plastic is the handle on the door of the dryer and the sides and edges of the control panels. Sure wish they could have made them metal too.

White was the only appliance option for my kitchen, but I sure do hate the yellowing of the plastic!

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

I don't think it's the white color that can disappoint, Florantha, but rather the type of finish these pieces (white or black) can have. Many of the current appliance models have a pebbly painted (or plasticked?) metal surface that, while great for disguising fingerprints in a busy household, doesn't lend itself to either modern sleekness or a period look.

I do wish they'd bring back simple, durable enameled finishes - my 1949 white stove is as bright and shiny as the day it was made. And that puppy has been scrubbed daily for ... 62 years now.

Writersblock - I believe it had a Bosch metal label along the side of the door. I could be mistaken though - maybe it was Miele or Braun? At any rate it was a German manufacturer, not Whirlpool, which is why I noticed it. Hmm.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

Thanks, circuspeanut, very interesting.

And yeah, I totally agree about the finishes. I much prefer white, but so often the white version of current appliances just looks cheap. It's not the color but the actual finish they choose. I really like the floating glass white that Jennair and some of the ikea ovens use. Wish more companies had an option like that.

• lawjedi
    13 years ago

at my old house I had white appliances. really liked them. ( I really DON'T like black appliances).

this house was devoid of appliances when we moved here so I did a fast, no thought buying of everything. stainless. well. when it's clean, I like the look.

I HATE the maintenance of it. never looks good for long with 4 kids, a dog, (& cat, but she's not messy)...

when we remodel, we have to change some of the appliances anyway... I keep wondering if I should go back to all white again. So much easier!!! But I want dark cabs (burgendy /dark cherry - something like that)... not so sure I want the appliances jumping out stark white like that.

anyway. another vote for white if it works for your kitchen. I haven't noticed the yellowing of the plastic - but perhaps the appliances I had weren't old enough yet.

• worldmom
    13 years ago

I don't think it's the white color that can disappoint, Florantha, but rather the type of finish these pieces (white or black) can have. Many of the current appliance models have a pebbly painted (or plasticked?) metal surface that, while great for disguising fingerprints in a busy household, doesn't lend itself to either modern sleekness or a period look.
    I do wish they'd bring back simple, durable enameled finishes - my 1949 white stove is as bright and shiny as the day it was made. And that puppy has been scrubbed daily for ... 62 years now.

I agree, peanut. If someone wanted to give me a nice white (or any color, for that matter) Chambers range, I'd be a happy woman indeed. I had one in my first apartment in downtown Salt Lake City many years ago, and I didn't realize how fortunate I was.

Lavender - what about a blue Chambers? They're a little hard to find, but they're a great blue that might work well in your kitchen.

• herbflavor
    13 years ago

I did not want a stainless fridge-hubby insisted..now I like it. You can mix stainless with white-we have a white range-get counter material with mottling of gray/pewter and the white flecks and it works.Be open to stainless-now I see the universal appeal of it.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You all hit upon my problem...the white appliances (at least the ones I've seen in my area) are all the 'low budget' version, compared to the stainless steel. I don't like stainless steel (reminds me of all the restaurants I've worked in) so I really want white...but a nice white.

The plastic is probably it. Most of the handles I see are plastic and they just look cheaply put together (but the price certainly isn't cheap) so the metal handle is a great idea! Now to see if anyone around here carries any :)

• donnajo1213
    10 years ago

Has anyone tried taking an appliance to an auto body shop for painting?

• vedazu
    10 years ago

Donna:

I have two dishwashers in my cleanup area--one full size in bisque, and the other an 18 incher that I could only get in white. So I took the panel off and took it to the auto body shop. They did it in a day, and didn't charge me--said it was so easy! 5 years later, I don't even think about it. Mind you, it was a metal piece, so I can't address the issue of painting plastic--but, after all, they are painting fiberglass all the time.....maybe it works on plastics, too.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

LL
    A friend put in appliances that were oiled bronze and she loves them. I think they were KA but not sure, but options might exist.

• jdez
    10 years ago

LL,
    I realize this is an old thread but if you are still shopping appliances, you HAVE to look at this website. These are waaayyyy out of my price range but I love looking at them anyway. You will love them. Check out the link to these old school appliances.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Coolest appliances I ever seent

• iroll_gw
    10 years ago

Whirlpool has a line called White Ice which is white with silver metal handles.
    And GE has a retro-look line called the Artistry series which also have metal handles.

Here is a link that might be useful: White Ice collection

• mrspete
    10 years ago

I'd suggest staying with something basic, something that will continue to be available in the future. Why? Because I've been very disappointed with the short lifespan of new appliances. My 5-year old stove has already required the repairman once. My 5-year old dishwasher will be replaced after the Christmas season is over; the repairman said it wasn't worth fixing, and right now it only works 2/3 of the time.

The point, of course: If you invest in an unusual color that disappears (or alters slightly) in future years, you don't want to either find yourself forced to buy something mismatched, or replace everything.

However, if you were painting your own appliances, you could work around this by purchasing several cans of the paint and leaving it untouched . . . Just in case.