Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adrienne_gray4748350

Hardwood floor details For Linda1228

Adrienne Gray
11 years ago

Hi Linda - Thanks for the message. I couldn't figure out how to respond, so here's the info regarding our kitchen floors.

I do not know the manufacturer, but they are solid teak stained with Minwax Jacobean stain. (I don't remember the specifics, our floor guy bought the formula). That said, I know that different hardwoods absorb the stain differently. Teak, being a very dense wood, did not absorb the Jacobean to the degree that other woods do, so it ended up more of a mahogany finish than the ebony I was going for. A year-and-a-half later, I'm glad it didn't.

We also did a matte finish (sealer?) on the floor. Again, I'm foggy on the details, but we did not do glossy.

One note for ALL folks looking to do dark wood... yes, every crumb will show. Not a horrible thing, in my opinion because I shutter to think what my previous travertine was hiding. BUT do not treat your floors with any kind of wood floor "polish". Cleaner yes, treatment, no. I made the mistake of using a matte Bona hardwood polish, and my kitchen floor just looks dull and dirty. It's coming off with time (believe me we tried everything short of resanding and resealing), but it makes me sick when the light hits it.

Good luck, and, just so you know, there IS life on the other side of a large project!