Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ianace

Mitered edge with built in beverage center

ianace
10 years ago

I have to say the very first thing I knew I wanted in my new kitchen was a mitered edge on my granite. Today, the granite guy came to make the template. Originally, I was going with a 2 1/2 inch mitered edge. But while he was here, we figured that would make the granite sit down too close to the top of the drawers, so I decided on the 2 1/4 inch mitered edge. But then we got to the beverage center. The bc height is 34", same as the top edge of my cabinets (and that's after we take the leveling legs off). If I put the mitered edge on, I won't be able to open the door on the bc. We have already added the 3/4 plywood to bring the height of the counter top up enough to have the 2 1/4" edge. If I add another sheet of plywood, the countertop becomes too high for the window by the sink (which is on the same wall) which will be set between the inside granite and an outside bar. The frame will actually be sandwiched between the two countertops.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has run into this issue. Does anyone have recommendations on how to get around this a still keep the look of the mitered edge?

I do have a back up plan, which is to cut out the tile underneath the cabinets. I can get 1-1 1/2 inches out of that, and we can probably hide that. I wanted to see if there was something less labor intensive.

Thank you!

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

"I do have a back up plan, which is to cut out the tile underneath the cabinets. I can get 1-1 1/2 inches out of that, and we can probably hide that. I wanted to see if there was something less labor intensive."

I've got some bad news, bocakitty. If you remove the tile, lower the cabinets, install the bc, diswasher, etc.,, then your top, you will have made these appliances un-removeable for service/replacement with out removing your top or removing the tile in front of them. This is really not a good idea. Just ask the guy who buys your house from you.

• Errant_gw
    10 years ago

Trebruchet is right. Pulling the tile to make the beverage center fit will make it impossible to remove once the granite is in place.

Can you get a different BC that will fit? How about raising the counter in just that area, leaving the section by the sink and window alone?

• ianace
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I would only remove the tile under the beverage center, no where else. It would lower the level of the beverage center so I can still open the door with the mitered edge.

I can't change the level of any of the counter by the bc because its in the same run as the window.

The bc can't be returned :(

• GauchoGordo1993
    10 years ago

Our dishwasher was tiled-in like this and it was a nightmare. We ended up postponing the replacement of a broken dishwasher for 3 years as a result.

• User
    10 years ago

Put the BC somewhere else. Or give up the mitered counter. Or raise the entire counter and integrate that into the window stool trim.

• ianace
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi,

Thanks for all the suggestions. To be clear I will not be tiling the bc in. It will have enough room to come out.

Thanks.

• meganmca
    10 years ago

Can I ask how you do that? Remove the tile--presumably leaving tile in front of where the BC will be?-- & still get the bc out later? Just don't understand how & I'd love to know for my own project...Thanks!

• User
    10 years ago

You can't. It's being short sighted. Once it's in the hole, it's not coming out without destroying a cabinet, chipping out a yard more tile, or taking off the counter, or using a sawsall to hack it into smaller individual bits. And if you do get it out via one of those methods, you're not getting a replacement one in. It's not DW where ADA models are sourcable.

• ianace
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have not attempted it yet, so I can't tell you how. It may not be possible.

Holly springs, what does DW mean?

"It's not DW where ADA models are sourcable."

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

bocakitty:

If I may, hollysprings meant that your BC is not a dishwasher that is handicapped accessible (Americans with Disabilities Act/ ADA) and therefore smaller and/or easier to install or remove.

• ianace
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi,

I just wanted to follow up with my resolution.

I've decided to go with a narrower mitered edge with the bottom edge that will be flush with the top of the cabinet. We will use 3/4 inch plywood plus 2cm granite which should make it about 1 1/2 inches, not as dramatic as I had originally envisioned, but some times you need to make adjustments to your vision. Now I know for my next kitchen! :). Thanks to you all for your feedback. I love the responsiveness of everyone on this forum. I'll post before and after pics when I get across the goal line!

• Errant_gw
    10 years ago

I'm glad you were able to find a compromise with your mitered edge. They are so pretty! I'm doing one, as well, but had to settle on 2.25" due to dishwasher height.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

bocakitty:

I hate to complicate things, but since you've solved your problem by shortening your edge, what is the point of mitering? A 3cm top is about 1 1/4". You lose another 1/4" and all that plywood.

• ianace
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My granite is only 2 cm. I still love the look, it just won't be as thick as I had hoped for.

Thanks.