Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saw50st8

My Temporary Kitchen

Shira S
12 years ago

Permits are filed and we are waiting for them to go through (any day now). We set up a temporary kitchen in our living room using a small fridge, desk as a workstation and one of those 5 tier storage units for our electrics.

From Kitchen Plans
We'll keep the two kids pictured, but the regular kitchen has to go :-D

Comments (12)

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I'm sooo glad we had to move out of our house for the whole house work. Living with a kitchen like that, which I know most of you have had to do, would drive me nuts! It'll all be worth it in the end.

The twins ARE keepers!

• joaniepoanie
    12 years ago

We did similar....old fridge from kitchen went into DR and DR table houses a MW and toaster oven. Bins under table held bread, snacks, etc..paper plates, cups, forks, etc. and we were good to go! It' just me and DH though so didn't really have to prepare family meals. Your boys are precious!!!

• rocketmomkd
    12 years ago

Here's our temp kitchen. We had to buy the fridge last year, so we have that already. Out the door next to the fridge is an enclosed porch with a campstove and grill. In the door next to the food shelf is my laundry room, with sink access and storage for dishes and small electrics. It's working out pretty good so far.

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

My temporary kitchen, which is starting to feel permanent, is in the basement laundry room:

Actually, it is really nice to have a range and DW during the remodel, even if they are remotely located. Like rocketmom, we got the new fridge already, and it is in the dining room. Hell of a work triangle!

• mamadadapaige
    12 years ago

Oh boy, are they ever cute!! They aren't going to pull that 5 tier shelf over are they? (my 6 yo DS has monkey tendencies so this was my first thought when i saw the pic, actually my second, first was how cute your little kiddos are).

Good luck - have fun with this adventure!

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

cute little guys!
    rocketmomkd - you've got something cute off to the left of pic also!

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

Our temp kitchen was the best. We set up a 10 x 10 pop-up on the patio and put the old over-peninula cabs along one side and folding tables along 2 more sides. The microwave shared a table with the Coleman 2-burner propane stove. The other table was prep space and dish drying. The 'fridge was plugged in in the living room, and the stove and dining table just took up space in the living room. We did the tiered shelves outside the tent and threw a plastic sheet over it as necessary. Running water was available in the garage set tub.

Then we went on a 5-day camping trip. Funny, we just took down the tent, packed up the Coleman stove, pulled stuff off the tiered shelves, and set up our temp kitchen as a camp kitchen. Amazing. The only difference in the temp kitchen and the camp kitchen was ice chests and walking a little further for the water.

P.S. After the new kitchen was in, I found myself still heading to the LR for refrigerated items. That's OK, for a while every time I needed the 9x11 pan, I reached up to the over-peninsula cabs which were no longer there.

• greenhousems
    12 years ago

The temp kitchens here all look very organized and well equipped. As long as you have the basics and some kind of cook top, life can run smoothly. I find that I have to allow extra time for clean up. I am not a great picture poster but I will try to put a photo of my temp kitchen up later. Good Luck with the start of your reno Saw50. Those little ones are just adorable. I had my brother working on my house for the last 10 days.. he used to refer to the temp kitchen as "The Restaurant".

• shelayne
    12 years ago

Your boys are ADORABLE--definitely keepers! ;^)

Our kitchen was relocated to our dining room--temporarily--where DH transferred part the sink run, including the DW while we worked on the main kitchen area. We had this set-up for quite a while, as we are DIYers. He even positioned the sink in front of a window. LOL.

It was fully functional, though a little awkward. What you cannot see in the photo is the wall opposite the range, where we had set up pantries and the microwave. The counter space was severely lacking. ;^)

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

My kitchen just moved next door into the livingroom and some of it down the hall into the bedroom. Hoosier has casters so it rolled pretty easy. All other cupboards (have no uppers) and tables were fairly easy to slide across the floors or be carried. Only the gas stove, sink, and washer/dryer remained. Even the fridge went into the bedroom.

• drainbead
    12 years ago

Here's mine. We're lucky to have a wet bar in the basement, so it's not that bad.

• a2gemini
    12 years ago

So funny!
    I am just about to set up our temporary kitchen - but need to check with my friends to find a MW and dorm style fridge.
    I already told my husband that he gets a spork(one utensil that is a spoon, fork, and knife), one bowl, and one glass!
    I will probably cave and use some paper.
    Stay tuned!