Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just Brainstorming....Is this a crazy idea?

Posted by amck (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 13:18

I'm pretty much settled on the idea of painting my Maple stained cabinets instead of replacing them. I have 8 ' ceilings and my cabinets are a foot short of that. I've been considering having integrated shelves built over them to bring them to the ceiling.

But after seeing lcskaisgir's reveal today whose cabs are not all ceiling height, I had an idea. BTW, she didn't do this, but her beautiful kitchen inspired the thought. What do you think about painting the cabinets a creamy white and painting the walls the very same shade? Have you ever seen it done? I'm thinking it would blur the break and help eliminate that empty space look between the top of the cabinets and the ceiling.

Your thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just Brainstorming....Is this a crazy idea?

I totally think it would work! I love offwhite uppers against offwhite walls. Lightens up the area at eye level and "disappears" the cabinets somewhat. Base cabinets can be wood or a darker colour.

Here is a link that might be useful: an example

o

That is a great and inexpensive idea. Remember to post pictures.

o

Go for it. As far as cabs not to the ceiling, I had to finally realize that I couldn't do that as the ceiling crown and the cab crown just would not work touching each other... so, after searching many pics of cabs not to the ceiling I got over it and am happy that I did.

They make these little LED light strings that are battery operated and have a timer... whatever time you turn them on, they stay on for like 6 hours and then shut off and turn on at the same time the next day, and since they are LED they last for a looongg time on batteries. I'm putting a string on top of each of my not-to-the-ceiling cabs (no wiring for lights up there) and calling it good.

o

I like the idea, too. And you will have a wonderful display area for a couple of large dramatic ceramic bowls or other artwork. I'd just have one or two items, large enough to be dramatic and colorful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here