Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poorowner_gw

Let's see recessed cubbies

PoorOwner
15 years ago

Can someone post pictures of cubbies that are recessed in the wall? Behind the stove or anywhere?

Comments (21)

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

Well, here's one I tiled myself in my bathroom, kind of spur-of-the-moment when I realized I wanted more toothbrush space:

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, that is a good reference,
    I am trying to find a little cubby to put my small music player.. I may as well put my cordless phone in there also. but I am not sure how it will look. There are 20" between the studs.

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

Well, you don't really need anything except a 2x4 and some drywall. Build it yourself by opening the wall, installing a top and bottom between 2 studs, then drywall, mud it and paint it the wall color. :)

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Here are two...

Behind my cooktop:

We haven't put in a BS yet, but eventually we will. I don't know what we'll use yet..tile of some sort, though.

In my pantry wall...it's my "Message Center Niche":

Hooks for keys are going to be put below the calendar.

• nalcar
    15 years ago

Hi Poorowner. I've been enjoying the saga of your redo and impressed with your progress- I've not yet posted my nearly completed DIY budget redo of my awful old tiny 60's kitchen, and we've had many of the same kinds of ideas and finish questions... Here are the cubbies I added to my backsplash tile. I'm not sure what will end up in there, but for now it's fun to try different things. The tile was challenging for me, but actually I'm so glad I did it because it was a "free" design extra.

• jessie21
    15 years ago

I LOVE these....let's see more please!!

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good work everyone!!
    nalcar did you just put tile over the 2x4s, or you have another layment between the wood and tile?

• fnmroberts
    15 years ago

This one is in our Powder Room.

{{!gwi}}

• nalcar
    15 years ago

I put drywall up over the 2X4s, then the tile. I mesured everything beforehand so I wouldn't need to cut even one tile. As a DIYer you know how that helped!

• Buehl
    15 years ago

fnmroberts...Oh cool! I want something like that when we remodel our MBA. You could also do something like that in a Foyer or elsewhere... Great focal point for artwork!

• fnmroberts
    15 years ago

buehl

Glad you like it. DH just cut between the studs and drywalled it when we updated the Powder Room. Added the light at the same time. Yes, I've seen larger insets for artwork, even flat-screen TV's.

• houseful
    15 years ago

Fnmroberts, What is the gorgeous wall covering in the powder room!

I like the way the second one here has a tile picture frame border.

• cache
    15 years ago

Awesome cubbies. Nalcar, I can't wait to see more of your DIY redo.

• fnmroberts
    15 years ago

houseful

Glad you like the look. I've had several comments on the wall covering. It is an embossed paper. Yes, real paper and I wouldn't DIY it again as it stretches, then shrinks and the match is very difficult. It looks nice but I see every flaw in my work.

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

nalcar BTW, that is the first time I have seen your work, incredible that it's DIY, I love the extra details you have put in

• sombreuil_mongrel
    15 years ago

I have these areas to the sides of my prep sink enclosure. I keep packages of water bottles in one and trays in the other.

Casey

• lyno
    15 years ago

All these cubbies are great! Nalcar - when will you post more details? Like what is your countertop, your tile, etc?
    Oh, such good ideas your all have!

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

nalcar, OMG... your kitchen is gorgeous. will be eagerly awaiting more pics. love your cubbies and lighting and combo of cabinetry. very swanky!!

• troubled-2007
    15 years ago

Oh, great, now I want a recessed cubby. I want Nalcar to come and make me one.

• nalcar
    15 years ago

Poorowner- I forgot to show you this other "niche" I put in at the entry to the kitchen; it will hopefully get some thick glass shelves to display kitchen memorabilia and some other dishware I'd like to have visible.

I was a little shy to post my almost finished room since the kithcens on GW are so fabulous and my DIY is a little 'different' style, but I will take some more pics and post soon. Thanks.

• ehaberlin
    15 years ago

Nalcar, I love your cabinet pulls. Can you share what they are?

Also, I can't wait to see more. From what I can see I like your style.