Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
0errant

Slab Yard Today

Errant_gw
10 years ago

Hi all,

I'm going to the slab yard today! Is there anything I should know before heading out? I've looked at yards before, but that was at the "just browsing" stage. Now I'm actually ready to put two on hold for our fabricator :D

I'm pretty set on River White. I've read that it sometimes goes by other names. Maybe Snowflakes, River Valley, or Ambrosia White. Is this correct?

Comments (26)

• Errant_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here I go! Wish me luck :)

• chiefy
    10 years ago

Good luck! Post some pics when you get back.

• Errant_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've put my slabs on hold. I went with River White, although the slabs they had weren't as white as samples I had seen. They have more of an ivory tone, but I think it's going to work out well :)

I've put my slabs on hold. I went with River White, although the slabs they had weren't as white as samples I had seen. They have more of an ivory tone, but I think it's going to work out well :)

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Ohhh, I love those...mmmm about to start looking for granite for my last BR reno. Would you say the colours in there are more gray or brown, sort of hard to tell on my monitor.

• Iowacommute
    10 years ago

They are very pretty. This kind of stone always reminds me of cookies and cream ice cream. Yum.

• Errant_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Raehelen, the colors in the veins are gray, with a bit of garnet sprinkled throughout.

• chiefy
    10 years ago

very pretty!

• Lisa
    10 years ago

Those are gorgeous slabs!! Can't wait to see them in your kitchen!

• xc60
    10 years ago

Very very nice! They will look great in your home.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Those slabs are beautiful! Love the veining. What kind of cabinets are you doing?

• feisty68
    10 years ago

We are going with granite and the one you showed is my top choice :) . The pattern is pretty strong but I think it will look great with the oak floors, grey cabs, and off-white walls that I am planning. Here they call it "Valley White".

• Errant_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My cabinets aren't anything fancy, just painted 80's Golden Oak. They are currently a dark green (can't think of the name) and the floors are Brazilian Cherry laminate.

I want to use this for backsplash:

• feisty68
    10 years ago

That granite has burgundy specks, which will work well with your floors! It also has some green understones which would coordinate well with your cabinets, which are an awesome colour.

IMHO, a tile backsplash would probably fight with the very strong pattern that this granite has. I'm getting the same granite but skipping the tile backsplash.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

River White is one of my absolute favorites. It isn't too grey (like Kashmir White), or too white either. Oddly, unlike feisty, I don't think of it as a strong pattern. I didn't want something strong, and didn't like speckled either -- this seemed just right.

It will be so pretty with your floors and cabinets.

• Errant_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. Yeah, I didn't think this was too busy, compared to some. But then again, it's always so hard to know for sure until it's installed. I'm definitely not going to buy my BS tiles until then, just to be sure⦠so I'm still open for suggestions :)

• michellekn
    10 years ago

Love it. River White is at the top of our list right now.

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Is your counter open to a hallway to the left of your stove? If you only have a short wall there and you have enough granite, I'd think about doing a solid granite backsplash behind stove, ie the whole wall, or at least as high as you were going to do tile. I always think it's sort of a shame that we don't get to see the full impact of the stone we pay so much for! :>)

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I love the River White Granite and I will look into that granite also! Thank you. I know you will love the granite!

• nanj
    10 years ago

Errant, do you mind sharing the price category of River White? I know that slab yards usually just give you a relative value for the stone, as in Category 5 (highest price) versus Category 1 (lowest). I love River White but don't know if it will be out of my league or not.
    Thanks!

• Amy Sumner
    10 years ago

Love your River White. That was what I had wanted but when we were looking last year the only slabs I found (in a reasonable distance) had a strong green undertone. Not the direction we were going. If I had found slabs like yours I would probably have River White counters right now! ;)

• Errant_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Raehelen, the cooktop is on a peninsula, that opens to the living room. I always hated being able to see the stove from the other room, so we raised that side to bar height this weekend. It will have the granite going up that little wall and along the new bar top :D

• Errant_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They are installing right now!! I can hardly contain myself! It is sooooooooooo pretty :D

• xc60
    10 years ago

So exciting! Can't wait to see after pics, yay!!! :)

• Errant_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I snapped some quick pics on my way out the door this morning:

I'm really happy with the slabs I picked, and think the fabricator/installers did an amazing job with the seams and mitered edge.

I'm a bit concerned about the gap they left between the granite and walls, though. I understand some gap is to be expected as not all kitchens are entirely square, but I'm thinking this seems a bit excessive. In some spots, it exceeds the depth of the backsplash I want to use, so I'm going to have to figure that out.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

" ... In some spots, it exceeds the depth of the backsplash I want to use, so I'm going to have to figure that out."

The thin set used to set the tile will add some depth. Is the tile you selected very thin? How large is the biggest gap?

Your granite looks awesome!! What a difference it made in your kitchen.

• Errant_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Jelly! I posted a picture of the backsplash I'm thinking of using above. It's the Churchill White by Jeffrey Court split-face marble. It's thick, about 3/8" in the deepest spots.

I'm also not totally positive that's the tile I want to use now. I'm open to suggestions, though ;)