Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Can you put new pull outs and slides in old cabinets?

Posted by spudish (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 14, 11 at 13:17


We are beginning on a kitchen remodel/update that became necessary because we are removing walls in another part of the know how that thing leads to another. I wanted new cabinets, more specifically the giant ikea drawers instead of the convenience and the idea of not digging through my lowers to find what I need buried in the back. I wanted alot of other things as well and, Surprise, I can't have it all.

Here are the questions. Can you put new soft close hardware on old drawers? Can you put pull outs in existing cabinets? Are there any that are full extensions on the after market? Are there any of good quality and wehre to find them?

Thank you for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Can you put new pull outs and slides in old cabinets?

REV-A-SHELF company has these items

RE: Can you put new pull outs and slides in old cabinets?

You can put pull outs in existing drawers. I put in 4 pullouts into a double base cabinet in our old kitchen. Mine slanted from about 2 3/8 in fron to almost 6" in back so things would not tip over and fall out. You could order in 1/8" increments. Really well made from Baltic Birch.

Everything arrived in great condition and on time. There are others on the market but this is the company that I have personal experience with.

RE: Can you put new pull outs and slides in old cabinets?

Are you talking about roll out tray shelves (ROTS) or pullouts (shelves attached to the a door that pull out when you pull the door out)?

If your cabinets are in good shape, you should be able to add ROTS or pullouts. You will need to install glides to do so. Look for glides that have full-extension and, if you like, soft-close (like Blum's Blumotion glides).

Check out Rev-A-Shelf and Hafele for some of the best out there. Don't skimp on the glides b/c it's important to get good glides if you want them to last long.

RE: Can you put new pull outs and slides in old cabinets?

Also check out the Drawer Depot. My mom refaced her kitchen through them and you would be amazed how inexpensive it is. She actually got new cabinet doors, new drawer fronts, new drawer boxes and Blum soft-close slides--you measure everything and choose what style you want, they send it all to you, you stain or paint it and put it together (except the drawer boxes are already together, and for a slight upcharge they will polycoat them too so they're completely done), you install it, and voila. It's high quality stuff--she chose dovetailed drawer boxes and solid maple doors and drawer fronts, and one of her contractors actually thought she had gotten all new cabinets.

In other words, while you can't afford "it all," you might be able to afford more of "it all" than you thought...

Here is a link that might be useful: The Drawer Depot

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here