Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Opinions on flooring choices, please?

Posted by raee (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 13:14

My small kitchen in my small 75 year old home is getting a new floor along with the new layout, lighting and cabinets. This is a smaller budget project which adds to my dilemma. I have contemplated materials like:

1. Duraceramic (ruled out until/unless I find it for less than I've seen so far ($7-8 sf)
2. prefinished hardwood (red or white oak)
3. prefinished cork

I would like to avoid standard vinyls. The cabinets will be shaker white, the counters hopefully solid surface.

My question for you is, what do you think is best in choosing a floor visually compatible with the older flooring in the house? Trying to match the stain as closely as possible, going with a compatible but different color, or going in a different material direction entirely (ie cork)?

Although the kitchen is a separate room, in this small house the doorway is visible from the main living area and would butt up to the red oak dining room floor. That was refinished about 12 years ago, and was not stained a particular color but has aged to a nice warm shade -- and a shade that will not be quite matchable in the prefinished colors available (it doesn't see to have quite the red undertones of all the samples that I've brought home).

It also has the defects of an old floor that likely wasn't top grade to begin with (my house was an early version of pre-fab) so varying gaps between the boards etc.

so, I have been thinking that it would be better to go with either an oak floor in a brown shade, not quite as dark as chocolate, though, because the kitchen is small and only 1.5 windows. Or, cork, if I can find a pattern not too swirly or bulletin board like in a medium brown or dark golden.

I do worry whether a new prefinished oak floor, even if a different color, will make the older floor look bad.

What say you?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Opinions on flooring choices, please?

Sounds like a wood floor of some sort might be nice. I saw something once that was used to make a transition between flooring colors: it was an inlay strip where the floors changed, made of wood, that incorporated the colors of both the floors into the pattern. I thought it was really clever and looked great.

Something like this. You can search for inlay floor and find lots of stuff from different companies.

o

What a cool idea! Thanks Deedles. So you think a different color in oak? perhaps like the cocoa brown I've been imagining?

o
RE: Opinions

What a cool idea! Thanks Deedles. So you think a different color in oak? perhaps like the cocoa brown I've been imagining?

o

I think you could do whatever worked with your cabs and then specify the woods and colors you wanted in the inlay strip. If you do this, please post a pic, I'd love to see it!

o

A friend of mine did something similar to deedles suggestion in her old(+150 years) home. She used a very wide board stained a dark brown as a transition strip between her family room and foyer and her kitchen. The flooring in the two space is the same wood species, the foyer/family room is new oak, the kitchen is old oak boards, none of the oak is stained. The boards in the two spaces also run in different directions.
The spaces are clearly different but the transition seems very natural.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here