Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
srahndennis

Cost of Undercabinet Lighting??

Stacy Rahn-Dennis
14 years ago

Help! I need to be educated. I do not have undercabinet lighting now. I'm not sure I "need" it but thought I would add it since so many really like it. My kitchen is open to the eating area on one side and the den on the other. I will only have two upper cabinets (48 and 46 inches wide) to light. Undercabinet pricing (including installation) is coming in at approx. $1,000 for Xenon and $1,300 for LED. This seems really high. But is it????

Comments (11)

• sw_in_austin
    14 years ago

We used low-profile fluorescent lights (from Pegasus, I think). They come in various lengths. We used a total of about 8 linear feet and the total cost (for the lights, not including installation) was less than $100.

The lights are not dimmable but they don't get hot and, using the warmest fluorescent bulb available, the quality of the light is great.

And, for the record, I love having UC lights. Didn't have them before. Can't imagine not having them now (and our kitchen isn't particularly dark or anything).

• kristine_2009
    14 years ago

I think that seems really high. We opted against the Xenon because of the heat and decided to just go with low profile fluorescent. They are really inexpensive and seem to provide enough light for our use.

• pegasuslighting
    14 years ago

Does the $1000 include wiring? Perhaps you could get a breakdown of the estimate to figure out what the product cost is and what the labor cost is to help you make your decision.

• 2sweetpea
    14 years ago

We bought our Xenon undercabinet fixtures ( 5 @ $56.45 + shipping, 7 yrs ago) from Pegasus.(Online) They have a 2 stage dimmer- high or low. I only use the high and they are NOT hot. I can't tell you about installation cost- Our electrician charged $495 for all the electrical labor in the kitchen- ( new receptacles and switches and a new outlet and installation of lights.)

• bedfordfred
    14 years ago

I'm happy with our GE Premium fluorescent fixtures purchased at Home Depot. They ranged in price from $25-$45 for each fixture. They are low profile (1-3/16" high) and don't have any of the heat issues found in Xenon/Halogen units.

The real expense is in the wiring labor. I did it all myself -- when I gutted my kitchen, I made sure to add a circuit for the undercabinet lights. I had a 14-2 cable come out at each contiguous bank of cabinets.

• needsometips08
    14 years ago

We paid about $124 for ours from Lowes. They are xenon and this is to cover 8 and 1/4 feet of cabinetry.

The cost from the cheapest local lighting for the same product (different brand) was $295.

Yours does seem high. Many people here are happy with their Xenons from Lowes and I couldn't bring myself to spend the unnecessary money just to get a brand name for something people won't even see, after all Xenon light is Xenon light whether it's Kichler or Utilitech.

• lzrj
    14 years ago

I would never pay more than a $1000 for around 8 foot of under cabinet lighting. I would rather go without lights under the cabinets then pay that much. I have a feeling that more then half of that cost has to be for the electrical. No way can it be just for the lights and install of them. We were smart when we built and had it all prewired. I've been looking around at the options and will probably go with the puck lights. I can get 8 of those and a dimmer switch to replace the normal on/off switch all for about $100. I figured since we are getting the granite installed, now is the time to do the lights to get the most out of the new countertops.

• reyesuela
    14 years ago

That's crazy unless it includes substantial modification of the cabinets for installation, as frameless sometimes do.

• Stacy Rahn-Dennis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LED seems to be $818.91 for the lights alone. Xenon is $415.56. The installation is $468.75. I'm not sure if the installation includes the wiring. We talked about undercabinet later so he may have inclulded the wiring in the add on for the installation. If this is who I decide to use, I'll definately find out what I'm paying for but there's no way I'm going to do this if it's this much.

• Stacy Rahn-Dennis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the help, everyone. Pegasus, depending on where we land, I may take you up on your offer -- thanks.