Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
m4rtin

New kitchen-what options to ask for ?

M4rtin
11 years ago

I'm going for a decor/cosntrcution appointment to my builder to select the options that I would want. However with this being our first home I'm not sure which options for kitchen to take and ask for if they're included.
I already know to make sure the fridge opening being 36'' also to check if the OTR microwave is vented to outside or if it's recirculating, I do not know if ductwork is standard and I have to have it for when I change it to a hood.
Is there anything else I should ask for that I might regret not taking ?
I attached picture of the plan.

Comments (13)

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Are you set on that layout plan? Are you open to (or asking for) feedback on that layout or suggestions for changes?

• weissman
    11 years ago

See if you can negotiate the house without them including the appliances. That way you'll be free to choose the appliances you want without feeling the need to be constrained by the "allowance" they give you or being stuck with builder grade appliances. Of course, they'll probably just reduce the cost of the house by less than what the allowance would have been :-)

Also, insist they put in at least 8" ducting for a real vent hood. Much better than an OTR and easy to do while the house is being constructed.

Do you have the option to talk to different builders and compare quotes and options?

• M4rtin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well the house will include SS stove, fridge, OTR, dishwasher from Whirpool, and I know that they will only give me like $1000 back, I don't expect more. I might aswell keep it, maybe give it to my father for cottage or something.

Layout is set, there was no other option for different layout.

For all options builder is sending me to private kitchen company that does work for builder, but everything extra I have to pay out of my pocket.
    This being our first home we can't go all out on the kitchen but we want to make sure to take the necessary stuff and be ready for upgrades in a year or two like new appliances.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Are you sure you can't ask to reconfigure the cabinets this far in advance? That fridge in the corner might be frustrating for starters.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

I've never had a new house, so I'm afraid I don't know what you can pick and what you can't.

Can you get drawers in the lower cabs? Some should be deep drawers, for pots. Measure your biggest pot.

Do you have any say about the sink, double vs single, if double, full divide vs low divide? That's another decision you might like to make yourself. Also the faucet - pull out vs. pull down? That's actually easy to change yourself, but if it doesn't matter to them, may as well get what you want. Can you ask for an air switch for the GD instead of a wall switch? Or a batch feed, if that's what you prefer?

The vent duct is the most important thing, because it would be harder to retrofit and easy to put in while the house is built.

• _sophiewheeler
    11 years ago

In a sea of horrid builder plans from designers who don't even microwave takeout, that is one of the worst kitchens that I've ever seen. You won't be able to open the door of the fridge fully. The sink in the island doesn't even have the required landing space to both sides. The only place to prep is too small, and over the cleanup station at that.

At the very least, move the fridge to the end of the other wall, then move the range down and put a single sink with the DW on the leg where the fridge was located.

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

I would ask if you could move the frig to the top of the range run and scoot the range over to the short part of the "L". It really should only involve the outlets... not a biggie. That would take the frig out of the corner making it pretty much across from the sink, give you a more protected cooking zone, and a nice amount of counter space for prep.

• blfenton
    11 years ago

Drawers, drawers, drawers.

• M4rtin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If I would ask for the cabinet maker to change the plan to move the fridge to the upper left part of "L" and move the stove to middle of lower "L" what about hood ducting ?
    I plan to have a good gas stove there in a year or two, so wouldn't the ducting be too long ?
    I cannot remember what the maximum duct length to vent outside.

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

We don't know how the kitchen relates to the rest of the home so it's hard to say about ducting. Most homes around here are single story so I just assumed vent up.

• realism
    11 years ago

Anyway you can make that whole room into the kitchen by extending the cabinets along the wall and getting rid of the low wall where the sink/dishwasher is? Then you might be able to put in an island.

Is it possible to use this visit to just get a list of possible options? Bring that back to us and we can give you advice. Then you can go back and make your final decisions.

• M4rtin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yup, will check with the builder and cabinet maker on pricing.
    This is a end unit townhouse with my neighbours attached to me on the side of the stove.
    Venting will have to be run in a over cabinet duct all the way to the backyard by the exit sliding doors.

I'll ask the builder on how much it is to do a switch with fridge/stove like suggested before.
    I'll also ask if the wall beside the fridge can be shortened to 24'' so the doors can swing open without obstruction.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

So many layout problems have been noted. Let me add 2 more:
    1. With the sink and DW in front of the low wall, there is no place to put clean dishes except all the way across the kitchen. You will have to unload them onto the top of the DW (awkward) and then tote them 5 or 6 feet to whichever cabs you want to store them in. REally poor planning.

2. You plan to get a real stove? You do NOT want the MW over the range, then. You want a good, powerful hood, not the inefficient one built into a MW.