Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eased edge finish with leathered granite

Posted by sudaki (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 13:06

Would love to hear from those of you that have leathered or brushed granite. What edge treatment did your fabricator use? Polish? Hone? Is it possible to leather an eased edge? Does it matter? Could you share a picture? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eased edge finish with leathered granite

I have a leathered granite with a honed edge. My fabricator does that standard, but they would do a leathered edge for an additional charge. I don't think it matters because one surface is horizontal and one is vertical so they don't look the same anyway. Here is a picture, but I don't think you can really see the difference in texture.

Granite close-up

o

I just looked it up and it would have cost an additional $350 to have the edge leathered. I probably have about 40 linear feet of edge not including the 2 sink cutouts.

o

LOL! Until you asked this question, I never even thought about it. I never knew to ask about anything special, so I guess I just got the standard treatment for leathered granites. It is very smooth but not super shiny. Looks just like the photo mpagmom posted, so I'm guessing mine was also honed.

o

I have leathered granite with a honed eased edge and I think it looks great. It's not noticeable that it's different a different finish than the countertop.

photo completedkitchen003.jpg

o

Thank you mpagmom, jerzeegirl for the pictures and for the assurance that a honed edge would be fine with a leathered top. Each fabricator seems to have a different approach. Looking at your granite confirms my desire for searching out the right leathered granite - probably green typhoon. Love the softer look!

contollfreakecs - I agree - who knew the questions that we would be asking as we embarked on the remodeling adventure!! I'm "struggling" not to cross the line from being temporarily TKO to being TCKO (totally crazily kitchen obsessed)!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here