Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dglmichelle

New deeper Sharp microwave drawer

dglmichelle
15 years ago

Sharp's website lists a new microwave drawer with an internal height of just over 7 inches. Has anyone heard about this or know where I can find one?

I'm excited because my only concern was the previous 5-6 inch height. The new models are KB-6525PS and KB-6524PS.

Here is a link that might be useful: New drawer

Comments (28)

• katieob
    15 years ago

I'm glad you posted this.

We were going with a 24 inch Sharp microwave drawer, but now I'm concerned that I can't reheat a mug of coffee or my Dunkin Donuts/Starbucks in the 24 inch model. Maybe I need this new 30 inch model?

Can anyone experiment and report back? I cannot buy a microwave that can't fit my coffee!

Thanks!

• erikanh
    15 years ago

I have the 24 inch model. There's a 30 inch model that fits into a 30 inch base cabinet but the inside of the microwave is exactly the same size. Mine fits coffee mugs no problem. What size is your mug, I'll measure for you.

Erika

• dglmichelle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

These new models (both 24" and 30" wide) both have a larger interior height. We are going with the 24".

The product description says the exterior dimensions are the same as the older ones, but the interior can now hold a 20oz coffee cup. It also says there are smaller, lower drawer slides makeing the cavity more accessible so it's easier to clean the top and back walls.

I just wish I could find it! I called Sharp and they're going to get back to me.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

*groan* I wish I had that new one...b/c of the cleaning! I do find it's a pain to clean the top & back walls!

As to vertical height, I've only run into a couple of things that don't fit in my "old" model...the top of my soup tureen (so I replace it w/wax paper when heating stew, etc.) and my "Peanut Noodles" box (I tear off the flaps & then it fits.)

Other than the cleaning issue, which thankfully is not common, I'm happy w/my MW drawer. [One happy side effect is that my children are now more careful about putting wax paper on what they're MWing since they don't want to clean it out! The rule is, if you make the mess, you clean it up!]

BTW...the vertical space in my MW is 6"

• katieob
    15 years ago

Hi.

My favorite huge mugs are 4.5 inches tall. If they can fit, I'm fine!

Thanks!

• twogirlsbigtrouble
    15 years ago

This is good news! We need to get one within the next month or so. Someone post when they find it on sale somewhere.

I also found this rebate for $50-$100 off...

http://www.hhgregg.com/pdfs/rebates/1728.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: MW drawer rebate

• eastcoastmom
    15 years ago

Thanks very much for this info! Right now I have an old but huge countertop model microwave, and I'm used to everything being able to fit. The only good place to put a MW in the new kitchen is in a drawer, so the availability of a new model with increased depth is really good news.

Let us know what you find out from Sharp as far as when and where these are going available. I would think you can order from an appliance store that sells the current ones.

• needsometips08
    15 years ago

I hope this isn't too much of hijack, and if so, ignore me and please move on!

But if not, do you guys think a 2 year old model that works great (it's the Sharp one) for $350 is a good deal? The people sold their home and the new owners requested that the bank of drawers be put back in cause they wanted more storage.

• erikanh
    15 years ago

twogirls, thanks for posting the rebate, my appliance dealer never told me about it!

• lascatx
    15 years ago

I've only found one big mug that wouldn't fit in the original version (OK, I have several that same size) but it's good to know they are making improvements. If or when I have to replace mine, I wonder if they will have worked up to a convection feature???

It's hard to say what a used micro drawer would be worth since they are relatively new and I doubt there is much of a resale market. I also don't know what to expect from this thing in terms of longevity. It could be a few years, 5 years, or ten years or more. I can't say that $350 is a bad price, but I can't say that it's a really good price either -- especially if you think the taller height would be a benefit or you don't know how old the unit is. I would rather pay $300 or less for it, myself. I'd offer $250.

• twogirlsbigtrouble
    15 years ago

Your welcome Erika! Im excited to see how your kitchen's moving along :)

• katieob
    15 years ago

Thanks v. much!

• Buehl
    15 years ago

I like that it opens both manually & automatically and keeps the Melt/Soften buttons! It also has a "Beverage Center"...that's something I could use!

I tried to find a manual online to find out what else was new ("Sensor Cook® settings and defrost options have been expanded"), but no luck! I'm sure they'll post it eventually.

Needsometips08: Compare the price of a new vs $350...if it's half the price, then I say go for it! I paid $720 for the 30" MW Drawer in January 2008. Model KB-6025MS.

• lascatx
    15 years ago

I bought mine earlier and got my seller to match a price of $639 I found, so I was going off of that and not wanting to pay more than half. I was hoping prices on these would come down as they became more popular, but it doesn't look that way.

• haileysuper
    15 years ago

Has anyone heard when the new models are coming out? All I got was the run around when I called Sharp. I'm planning on holding out for the newer models since those updates look great.

• bamagirl2009
    15 years ago

I would love to know too. The guy I talked to about it didn't act as though he knew as much about it as I did!

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Trying doing a Google search...I did and found this...

Here is a link that might be useful: KitchenDirect: Sharp KB-6525PS 30

• dglmichelle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They recently had a press release about it stating that it would be out in February, so it should be very soon!

Here is a link that might be useful: Press Release

• haileysuper
    15 years ago

Dglmichelle- thanks for posting that press release. The timing will be perfect for me. I'm just holding off ordering until this comes out. This sounds like an amazing product!

• Buehl
    15 years ago

It's already out...see my link above!

• haileysuper
    15 years ago

Buehl- when I follow that link I get the 30" model. Somehow I can't find the 24". On Amazon.com they are taking preorders only. I guess I'm just getting antsy about my final appliance purchase! Thanks for posting the link for us.

• lascatx
    15 years ago

I wouldn't worry -- get what you want. You might need to find another vendor who has it. I was looking at something on Amazon today -- I can get it now elsewhere, but Amazon is saying ships in 1-2 months.

Worst case -- the microwave is the one appliance that you don't have to sweat over if you have to wait. You can generally make do or use a small countertop one until you get it in. We had put a countertop model into the built-in space in our old kitchen and kept it through the remodel. If ours hadn't been here when everything else was ready, I would have slid it into the cabinet for the drawer and used it as a temp. Won't you have one somewhere for your temp kitchen?

• dglmichelle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good news!

HomeClick has the 24" microwave in stock (to be shipped in 2-3 days) for $779 + shipping. We just placed our order last night. It should arrive just in time to be installed - whew!

Hint: If you go through live.com first you get 7% cash back (or FatWallet gives you 4% back)

Here is a link that might be useful: HomeClick

• katieob
    15 years ago

And this is the newer one with more room inside?

If so, I'll be ordering. Thanks for following up!

• dglmichelle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes! This is the new drawer with more room - model KB-6524PS.

BTW - The price for the stainless is actually $789 ($10 more than I stated in my previous quote) + shipping.

• dreamywhite
    15 years ago

DGLMICHELLE- just wondering if you were able to get your new sharp microwave drawer? I know homeclick was going out of business. If so please let us know how you like it and post a photo. BTW - my DH wants to know if you spilled any liquid in it yet - like coffee, soup etc..

• dglmichelle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

dreamywhite - yes, I do have the microwave. I arrived less than a week after I ordered it so I was lucky! It looks really nice and I'm able to put our tall microwave steamer in there that I wouldn't have been able to use with the shorter one.

I haven't spilled any liquid in it. It opens and closes pretty slowly and smoothly, so I'm not sure if that will happen anytime soon.

I will take some pictures tonight and post them so you can see it.

• teppy
    15 years ago

for those of you that have this microwave, how much does it stick out in the front? from the photos i've seen, it looks like it sticks out a bit in the front. i don't know if i can have one because my depth available in my island is only 21". i could possibly get 21 3/4", but i still don't think that will be enough. it looks like these micro drawers are deeper than regular microwaves. i see that viking makes one too, but its deep also just like the sharp. i really was wanting ones of these to go into my island. darn!