Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juline17

Starting over -new house and kitchen design

juline17
10 years ago

I'm starting a new thread since I've come to realize the the old house design was inherently flawed and way too costly to build. Thank you to everyone who has helped me get to this point!!!

So, we're starting over again in the whole house design, including a new kitchen.

To summarize the last thread; we're designing a prairie acreage "forever" house, have two little girls and frequent overnight guests. We both cook, sometimes together (and sometimes with "help"), and bake occasionally.

The first floor plan (first draft only):

Kitchen details:

Since the floor plan is just the first draft, pretty much everything (including walls) may be changed to optimize the kitchen. The windows are not added in since I'm unsure of where they would go and depends too much on the layout.

This idea has the DW to the left of the sink, with an 18" drawer stack for utensils and plates, with uppers for glasses and cups.

I don't truly need a separate stove top and oven, but since it would be "nice" and I thought I had room it is included, with a 12 (or 15"?) landing for the stovetop. The island overhang downwards remains 15" for optional seating. (Sorry about the lack of detail; we revised the whole house last night, and the result does show a lack of sleep...)

I did forget to add a pantry in the kitchen itself; perhaps I add it to the left of the fridge? It would not have a landing space though, and would make the kitchen pretty long.

Input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: previous thread

Comments (16)

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

One possibility....with range between windows and microwave and extra seating at island. I'd have the island all one level, but it depends on seating for your little ones. Just an idea :)
    {{!gwi}}From Kitchen plans

This post was edited by lavender_lass on Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 15:58

• sheloveslayouts
    10 years ago

I'd consider moving the dining room (exterior) door to the end of your kitchen next to the fridge; between the kitchen and dining. It's a pet peeve of mine to have to walk around dining tables to get outside, though.

• juline17
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for you input!

Lavender_lass, I considered the stove where you have it drawn. It would make a lot of sense to keep the cooking area close to the fridge, however, I do prefer a window over the sink.

I really like how you moved the prep sink and added seating on the side. Would the prep sink in that location also work if I keep the sink on the long wall?

Benjesbride, you have a good point for the patio doors. It just makes sense to move them as close to the fridge as possible. It would provide easier access and also leave room for a corner china cabinet if I ever get one.

I have have an appointment with a KD tomorrow morning, but it really helps if I start out with a good plan -that way she can just concentrate on perfecting it:) Please keep the comments coming!

• joanr
    10 years ago

This comment is not so much about your kitchen but about your front door placement. Would you want someone coming to your front door and being able to see all the way back to your kitchen. Just a thought but I would consider moving the door a little to the left to prevent this.

Also since you are just designing this, have you considered putting a hanging rack in your laundry room. I have a small one that I love cause I like to take my clothes out of the dryer and hang them up immediately if they are going to be hung and not folded.

Joan

• sheloveslayouts
    10 years ago

In our current kitchen (our first stab at ikea kitchen design) we put the microwave at the opposite end from the refrigerator because of aesthetics. Bad idea. In this new kitchen, a tall cabinet/ pantry with space for the microwave will be next to the fridge. My goal is efficiency- the fewer the steps, the better. In this plan, every time time one microwaves something they have to walk around the whole island.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

I would want the prep sink opposite the range, just so it's easier to prep and turn to toss things in a pot/pan. The prep sink across from the main sink seems a little 'sink heavy' to me, but I'm sure there are people who have that layout and like it.

While a window over the sink is nice(!) if you have an island prep sink, will you really be standing at the clean up sink all that often? Would you see the view more at the range? Would a plate rack or decorative piece work better above the clean up sink?

• juline17
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Joan, the area between the stairs and the garage is a mudroom, with doors on both ends to keep the mess out of sight. I'm hoping to do swing doors, so the kids won't even have to remember to shut those darn things;)
    For the laundry room, I love the idea of a permanent rod to hang clothes, either wet or dry. Thanks! I've also included space for my hanging racks for the clothes that don't go in the dryer.

Benjesbride, do you use the MW often? I currently don't (just for thawing food), but fully admit that will likely change once the kids are old enough to prepare some of their own food. Hm, I wonder if I should try to find a space for it near the fridge, and just ditch the separate oven idea. It would certainly be a lot cheaper

Lavender_lass, do you mean the prep sink is better suited on the dining room side? Also, would you mind explaining a bit more what you mean about "plate rack or decorative piece work better above the clean up sink"? I'm not following you. Wouldn't the range hood be in the way? Do you mean this?

• ControlfreakECS
    10 years ago

I agree with LL. The island and prep sink will be much more functional when the long side is parallel to the range rather than the short side.

My own clean up sink faces a wall. I have never thought anything of it. I spend much more time at the prep area (for me a peninsula) then in the clean up zone. But, to be honest, even if I spent more time at the clean up sink, it's not like I am spending that time looking straight ahead, I am working. So I tend to be looking in the sink.

I will say this, even with LL's plan, you don't have a great view at the island. You are looking toward ?? A blank wall, the basement stairs, the mudroom door? Since this is a plan from scratch, and you'd like the clean up sink looking out the back window, I'd see if you can change the plan so that you can turn the island 90* and have the range on the wall you currently have it, but longer. And give yourself a good view from your prep sink out into your great room while you are working. Make that range a focal point with a beautiful hood. I don't think 12" is enough space to the right of the range, anyway. You could get rid of the wall oven, but I'd want at least 24".

• sheloveslayouts
    10 years ago

I might use the MW more than average - probably twice a day?

• sena01
    10 years ago

A few ideas.

Island seating with 4'1" aisle on a walkway may be tight. I tried to draw a rounded bar (w/o success) to keep the seats in the kitchen.
    I moved the range to the exterior wall and fridge to the short one. I'm not too happy with the fridge being far from the DR/LR. Maybe a beverage fridge next to the DW on the DR side can solve the problem.

• juline17
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, the amount changes that can occur within 24 hours... Long story short, after serious diplomatic negotiations which included several veto's and readiness on both sides to just throw in the towel and sell the darned lot, we compromised on significant changes to the old house plan (he got the old base-plan, I got 600 fewer sq.ft. and less exterior corners and roof angles-much cheaper to build).

The layout is more than unusual, but it has all the features I need. We worked pretty much all night to make the plan work, but we really struggled to make the kitchen usable. That is, until I remembered Sena's and Deedles's island ideas. Suddenly it just made sense, and I was willing to change the whole house plan.

This is the modified first floor layout:

The reason for the stupidly late nights was the KD appointment we had this morning (took forever to get it, so I refused to cancel) She tried several options, but finally I had to show this idea to her. She drew it up and claimed she liked it the best.

We included a separate oven/cook top, but it wouldn't break my heart to get rid of it. I'm a little unsure of the MW location, based on Benjesbride's comment above.
    The garbage pull-out is placed to the outside edge of the prep sink.

What do you think, and what can be improved upon?

• sena01
    10 years ago

LL's post of Jan 5, 14 at 16:04 in your old tread, can you change the parameter cabs as in that layout? The fridge, prep, range triangle would be better that way imo.

• juline17
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the reminder Sena!

This post was edited by juline17 on Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 15:30

• juline17
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've had several more days to mull over the house and kitchen design, I think we have come up with a better overall plan:

The "KD" managed to get the room dimensions wrong, so her design will not work. Here is my revised attempt with the correct dimensions (although I had to add 6" to the wall to get minimum suggested landing space between the fridge and stove). I've tried to keep the work zones separated, as i.e. LL and Sena have suggested.

How do you think the pantry will work on the other wall like this? Also, is the prep sink and trash in the right location?
    Where would you keep brooms/vacuum? There may likely be a better way of laying out that bathroom in order to get an extra closet, or alternatively put it the broom in the pantry?

Please let me know what you think!

• speaktodeek
    10 years ago

Personally, I'd put the trash on the other side of the prep sink where it would be easily accessed from both sinks and the range. I'd also put the headboard window in the master on the other side wall so both side walls have a matching window - windows centered right were you want a bed are very challenging to work with IMHO!

• juline17
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm, I've never actually considered the bed on that wall -thanks for the tip, I will certainly try that. The window over the current location is a high window, not if that makes a difference or not?