Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caveman_mike_gw

What should quartz counters cost?

caveman_mike
11 years ago

I got a quote of $6,300 for approx 31 square feet of Cambria USA counter surface.

The quote for $4,000 for Corian back spash (full height, not just the 6").

I'm just beginning exploring the options for my kitchen project so I have no idea what things cost yet.

The project is in a high-rise in Philadelphia Pa.

The main purpose is to add 7 feet of new lower & upper cabinets, and 7 feet of new counter surface.

The new cabinets was quoted at $8,000. I might end up doing just that, and getting them to match the Formica of the new 7 foot area to the existing Formica in the old 8 food area of the kitchen.

I'm really happy to have discovered this site. I'm sure I'll be bothering folks with a bunch of other questions.

Thanks!

Mike

Comments (26)

• annkh_nd
    11 years ago

$200/sq ft sounds high to me, but that might be the going rate in your area. I'm in North Dakota, where labor costs are a lot less.

• nelle49
    11 years ago

Our Cambria counters, installed this week, cost $2,825 for about 27 square feet with no backsplash (DC area). We have a D-shaped Franke sink with a one-hole faucet and another hole for a disposal air switch. We got the standard edge that they provide for free. Does your Cambria estimate include a backsplash? Our dealer/installer charged the same price for every Cambria color--no grades or classes as with other brands.

• NWRunner
    11 years ago

In Western WA dealers compete on price. Our vendor offers about 10 quartz and 20 granite choices at $64/square foot installed + tax then you have many more expensive options. Be sure to check the vendor's math on the square footage.

• alvmusick
    11 years ago

Mike -

Your quote seems very high. I live in Brooklyn - similar to Philadelphia, the city rates are higher than elsewhere. I ended up paying around $120 per square foot for Caesarstone quartz. I shopped around and ended up going with a company outside of NYC - located in CT, they serviced the city, but still charged suburban rates (a $50 to $60 per square foot difference!) I checked them out on angieslist for references (of which they had a ton), and was super excited about their service and rates. Perhaps around Philadelphia there might be similar dealers???

If you haven't done so already, search Garden Web for kitchens in your area - many times they list references.

• cwalen
    11 years ago

that seems crazy high. In Baltimore I was quoted $90/sq ft. for Cambria

• Gooster
    11 years ago

You should definitely get another quote. Cambria tends to be on the high end of the quartz choices, and installation quotes can vary by 2X. If you use Google to search the forums, you will find threads where people share their quotations.

• heidihausfrau
    11 years ago

I think it is about $80 a square foot around here (Michigan)

• realism
    11 years ago

Do a google search of this site and you will find tons of threads discussing the costs of quartz. Pricing varies by geography and even from fabricator to fabricator in the same part of the country. What people post here will have very little meaning if they dont live in Philadelphia.

That being said, your pricing seems very high for any part of the country. Even if this fabricator's price wasn't high you should be getting multiple quotes (at least 2 more). Getting quotes from 3 fabricators will give you an idea as to what fair pricing is in your neck of the woods. Thats just remodeling 101.

• glueblob
    11 years ago

We JUST decided on our quartz this week. We are in Ohio and we got several quotes for 55 sq. ft. of white/grey counters like Aspen, Torquay, etc. (all quotes included a stainless sink, installation, tax and no backsplash) - Hanstone was $4500, Cambria was $5100, Zodiaq was like $5600 and Caeserstone was $6300.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

That's really high. Or is it because you need to purchase the full slab(s)?

I'd ask KevinMP for some help for sources. He's been over on Home Dec forum if he doesn't pop in here. He doesn't have quartz, but I know he has been "out there" renovating so he might have a source or two for you to check. Same with Palimpsest.

And I don't know if they go into the city or not, but I used Stone Masters in Kennett Square for both our jobs, their craftmanship is excellent, they do sell quartz. You could check with Ann Marie there, tell her Karen V sent you.

This post was edited by beekeeperswife on Thu, Feb 21, 13 at 18:06

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

nelle49, would share your DC Cambria dealer/installer's company name? Nice job. I'm local to DC, looking at Cambria as countertop and picking some of my own retailers for our remodel. Thank you very much.

• becks333
    11 years ago

I have been looking in the philly area and found 2 places that were around $2200 for 30 sq ft quartz installed includes sink and faucet. Cambria was $2400 at Stone Galaxy.

• Tricia21
    11 years ago

Mike- I live in philly and am getting caesarstone...first quote was 4000 and I screamed. Then I shopped around and 3 other places cost me $2500. Goto Angelo's on Washington ave. it's around 20th and federal. Good prices and lots of quartz options. I'm probably buying from them. They were rec by a builder I know and a friend who used them. I could get a similar look for chroma quartz for around 2100. Yes you do need to buy the slab but its the same prices anyway. The ikea on Delaware ave sells caesarstone by the square ft so compare that as well. Can't speak to ikeas fabricators though.

• caveman_mike
    Original Author
    11 years ago

All I can say is WOW! I'm blown away by the number and helpfulness of these replies.

My quote was from Kitchen Magic which seems like an awesome company, but $10,500 for the counters & corian backsplash was too much.

They offered me a 10% discount if I was willing to sign on the spot and get no other prices. I'm not that spontaneous, and I'm glad I'm not!

Based on the replies here, I will do some more shopping before abandoning the quartz counters.

Thanks again!

Mike

• Bunny
    11 years ago

I'm in the SF Bay Area. One year ago I got approx. 45 sq.ft. of Caesarstone for $4,000, a little under $90/sq.ft. That included slab, fabrication and installation, one seam at the sink, strip on window sill, no backsplash. I purchased my sink separately.

This post was edited by linelle on Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 10:24

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

They offered me a 10% discount if I was willing to sign on the spot and get no other prices.

Evidently there is a reason they operate that way!

• Tricia21
    11 years ago

I have some other places in the area if you have no luck at Angelo's...just email me if you need them

• becks333
    11 years ago

I meant to write Stone Masters, not Stone Galaxy. I most likely will be going with Chroma (Pental) quartz, best prices I have found so far.

• tblmom
    11 years ago

Ikea sells Cambria at $64 per square foot and their 20% off kitchens sale starts in march. Not sure if it includes countertops. A lot of the popular Cambria colors are out of stock right now though...Torquay is out until the summer, for example. We went to the KOP one.

• tblmom
    11 years ago

Try Wholesale granite in Ardmore. We got quoted $110 for the white princess quartzite and that generally runs more than most quartz. That seems like a lot for quartz especially since the Cambria line is local for us (made in lancaster, PA), so it's not like it has to travel far.

Ikea also has ceasarstone and zodiac quartz. I also have no experience with their fabricators.

• tkingny
    11 years ago

brooklyngalley - I live in NYC and am about to renovate my kitchen. Would you mind sharing where you found your countertops?

• bons
    11 years ago

My local Ikea (SF Bay Area) does not have Cambria. Caesarstone at $75/sf.

Bonnie

• dntutley
    11 years ago

I'm paying approx. $100 sq/ft for my Cambria here in NE Ohio.

• alvmusick
    11 years ago

tkingny - we used Precision Stone - here's the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Precision Stone

• nelle49
    11 years ago

Sparklingwater, I used Artistic Granite in Gaithersburg for Cambria.

• Daniel Walker
    last year

How much cost in UK?

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath