Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
illinigirl_gw

stacked upper cabinets- mixing solid & glass on the upper uppers?

illinigirl
10 years ago

Would it be a design mistake to have one wall with the stacked upper uppers have glass and in cabinet lighting, and the other wall with solid cabinets, no glass (and obviously no lighting)?

I would put the glass upper uppers on the range wall, which is the wall that is first and primarily seen upon entering the house and from the great room.

The other wall (fridge wall) I'd like to do just solid for more consistency and functionality on that wall?

Is that poor design sense or does that work?

Here is the floor plan (kitchen design is only rough in this picture). Just so you can get a sense of how it would be entering the house and which cabinets you can see from where.

[img]

[/img]

to reiterate- glass upper uppers on range wall
solid upper uppers on fridge wall

what do you think?

Comments (18)

• diyher
    10 years ago

of course not :) I see it all the time over on houzz. Upper cabinets with maybe 12-15" high with glass doors, lite and usually nice pottery etc.
    Lowers all completely wood doors no glass.

take a look at all the uppers at this link with wood frames and glass.
    http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/21264283/thumbs/Kitchen-Cabinets-Lighted

Here is a link that might be useful: stacked uppers with glass

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks DIY-er......but I may not have made myself clear....I'm talking about only the upper uppers (not sure that I'm calling them the right name but the shorter 15" ones closest to the ceiling)- some of those being glass and other upper uppers being solid. So like this:

range wall: uppers wood with upper uppers (or the 15" ones closest to ceiling) being glass

WITH

fridge wall: uppers wood with upper uppers (also closest to ceiling) also being wood

so, some upper uppers wood, other upper uppers glass. All the "lower uppers" would be solid.

Sorry I don't know what the second level of the stacked cabinets is called....I am calling them "upper uppers"

*terminology key that I'm using:

uppers= first level of uppers, right over the counter, typically somewhere in the 30-42" high doors
    upper uppers= second level of uppers, closest to ceiling, typically around 15-18" tall doors

ugh, i don't know if that clarified anything or not.

• JSpann
    10 years ago

I think it'd look fine! Here is one picture I found of a kitchen that only has glass in a portion of the kitchen--

I will prob be doing something similar, just using glass as an accent rather than using it everywhere.

Here is a link that might be useful: [houzz[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-and-addition-traditional-kitchen-san-francisco-phvw-vp~45920)

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yessss! this is the same houzz pic I also found...but I mostly find either one or the other, not mixed like this. So I wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

• romy718
    10 years ago

Here's another pic from Houzz, SKD Studios.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Another

• romy718
    10 years ago

Same kitchen, different wall.

• diyher
    10 years ago

Romy, Houzz, SKD Studios was my inspiration to paint my uppers antique white and have darker wood lowers and paint my island and have a wood counter on the island :)

How did you get the Houzz photos to post directly in Gardenweb forum post? I can't seem to get it to work other than an actual link

• romy718
    10 years ago

I can't get them to post directly from Houzz either. I do a google search, images, & can usually find the picture from another source.

• Mags438
    10 years ago

I hope it will look nice, since that's exactly what I'm doing. :)

• robynstamps
    10 years ago

My "upper uppers" are mixed with glass and regular. I cannot wait! I like your kitchen layout. It's going to be FABULOUS!

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

illini girl, it will look fine!
    Having looked again at a bazillion Houzz kitchens and finished kitchens on Pinterest with the glass upper-uppers lit, and UCL, I'm noticing how much the color of the light affects the overall look.
    I've elected not to have my upper-uppers (which are glass on the range wall and half glass half solid on my refrig wall) not lit. Hope I don't regret it.
    edit - I just went and looked at my elevation pics and realized that even on my range wall not all my upper-uppers are glass.

more from Houzz

[Beach Style Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/beach-style-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2110) by Stone Harbor Architects & Designers Asher Associates Architects

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Atlanta General Contractors Blake Shaw Homes, Inc

And to answer the other question re posting pics directly from Houzz - there is an icon called "embed" on the houzz page - either at the bottom of the picture or off to the side at the bottom. Click on it, and it will give you two choices, large or small. Most here are posted using the large format. Click on one and it will highlight the whole embed code. Copy it and pasted it onto the GW forum page.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Mlweaving... I can't find the embed icon anywhere. I usually use the Houzz app. But, even using the full Houzz (non-app), I can't find this icon. Frustrating. I really want to figure this out too. I even did a google image search for "embed icon button". I thought there might be an image of the location to help me locate it.

Illini girl--I think this will look great, especially after seeing some of the pictures posted above. Your house is really coming along. Did you see the Illini got beat last night :-(

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts on (yet another) decision! :)

I appreciate more houzz pics too, I could only find a couple showing mixed upper uppers (what IS the best name for those anyways?!)

I'm feeling good about going this way now!

Red lover.....yep I did see it. wow we are at an all time low it seems. Things can't turn around soon enough, but the big ten is crazy this year.

• xc60
    10 years ago

I see them called double stacked or stacked uppers. :)

• blfenton
    10 years ago

The embed icon is on each individual pic just to the right - not on the entire page. If that helps at all.

• HU-804793023
    5 years ago

I am trying to do something similar with my kitchen renovation design - 1 wall of uppers with glass doors alonng with couple on the L turn and then do wood doordoors past the window. Can you post a picture of your finished kitchen please

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County