Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandca

Layout HELP please!!!

sandca
14 years ago

I am becoming very frustrated trying to decide on a kitchen design. I posted floor plans last fall but the post is no longer available. I am trying to decide weither to use a plan with no structural changes or remove the load bearing wall between my kitchen and family room. Removing the wall would add $4000 to costs. I have to decide on the structural changes right now but I can fine tune the actual layout later. Im planning on building an IKEA kitchen. ItÂs very difficult for an amateur to break away from the status quo and envision a new and functional concept. When my kids were little and my husband alive I wanted an open concept space so that when I was in the kitchen I didnÂt feel excluded. I need new cabs and flooring. Open concept is probably not as important now but since I could be moving within 5-10 years I want to make changes that will increase resale value. ThatÂs why IÂm having a hard time deciding on which direction to go. My house would probably sell to a young family. Please help me pick a plan!!!!! Existing kitchen is 11Â1" x 16Â. Large windows across back wall are too close to floor to allow a banquette.

Minimal Changes

1. Peninsula: Super Susan

Cabs starting at peninsula: 24" dishwasher, 36" sink, 36" corner cab, 12" drawers, 30" cook-top. 18" drawers. Garbage/recycling would have to stay under sink.

2. Peninsula: Blind corner (very similar to what I have)

Cabs starting at peninsula: 24" dishwasher, 36" sink with 30Â sink, 30"" drawers, 30" cook-top. 18" drawers, 24" drawer in corner can only be accessed on back side of peninsula.

Sacrificing the lazy susan makes peninsula 1 foot shorter. This allows 5 foot x12" base and wall cabs on opposite wall. Counter should be wide enough for appliance garage for coffee pot, toaster etc. Sink is smaller to increase workspace between sink and cook-top, drawer bank is larger. Which would provide better storage  lazy susan or the cabs on opposite wall?

Removing load bearing wall,

I canÂt remove as much of the wall as I would like. Aisle space is a little bit too small. I could try to steal 4 inches from dining room but I think this would not be cost effective since this is also a load bearing wall. I was concerned about kitchen visible from front foyer in case of resale. I thought I could install French doors at end of foyer. The problem with this is where to put the opened door.

3. Island: round table

4" table, 24" dishwasher, 30" sink, 18" recycling centre, 24" drawers, 30" cook-top, 18" drawers. The back side of island is 12" cabinets. Counter is 39" wide and then reduced to 36-37" after the bend and behind the sink. The west wall is refrigerator, wall ovens and pantry. IÂll have to angle the one pantry to allow for a wide enough pathway.

4. Island: rectangular table

I prefer cook-top and sink reversed like in this plan but this sink placement might interfere with cold air return into furnace

5. Island: cook-top opposite wall

This might be best compromise. I lose large pantry by putting cook-top on opposite wall. I see this in pictures all the time but IÂve always had cook-top and sink connected by counter. IÂm not sure IÂd like having to carry everything I prepped over to other side. This plan allows for shorter island and separate eating area.

6. U Shaped

I just planned this one last night so I havenÂt given it a lot of thought yet. It would hide the kitchen from the hall but may not be as functionally or aesthetically pleasing. The peninsula is just 26" wide.

Comments (10)

• rhome410
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Is that a wall oven I see or is that representing the fridge?

I am usually a closed-kitchen person, but with your house having the dining room and living room with no view of the kitchen, I think it would be a great idea to open the kitchen to the family room. I do think that would be a benefit in resale. A large interior 'window' or pass-through might work, as well.

The last one that removes the doorway to the dining room is not a good idea.

You have walkways that are approx 2'4" with the island stretching past the open section, and that won't do...and I'd leave room to have a minimal table with space to get to the back doors. I imagine someone could get away with having the table against the windows, but you need to leave at least 7', I'd think.

Hmmm...

• sandca
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Rhome
    In plan 1,2 the fridge is next to dining room door with the oven/microwave beside it next to hallway door. In plans 3,4,5 fridge is first appliance on dining room wall bank of cupboards. If I remove the chimney (little box to the left of fridge) I could gain another foot on that line of cupboards. The ovens have the handle. In plan 5 I hadn't decided whether to use a stove centred between 2 small wall cabs or buy cook-top with ovens next to patio door. I'm not very good at planning out best locations. Which arrangement looks best to you? Would you give the go ahead with removing the wall and finalize plan later or is removing the wall a little dicey and I should just stick with plan 1 or 2, plans that I know will work in that space?

• sandca
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Does any body have any advice? Are none of the plans any good or are my drawings too hard to understand? All ideas would be appreciated. I don't trust my own judgment and a KD isn't in the budget. I've spent too much time thinking about which is the best direction to go and have accomplished nothing.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Sorry, I didn't see that you came back with answers...And I'd also forgotten I'd promised to look and see what solutions I could come up with. The short answer is that I don't like any of them the way they are. I prefer the island plan at this point. I promise to print this out now and look it over this evening.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I knew I recognized this layout...Did you give up on the island with sink and cooktop you had in a previous posting?

• sandca
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Rhome
    No, I didn't entirely give up on putting both the cooktop and sink on the island. The're both on the island in plans 3,4. I gained a little bit more room between the island and the family room wall by angling the island and decreasing its width by 2" starting at the bend. That wall can't be completely removed so it makes that aisle very tight. The contractor thinks that plan 5 with the cooktop opposite the island is more workable. I find it very difficult trying to visualize the 3D space and determine how functional it would be. I guess what I'm trying to say is do I have more to lose than gain by taking down those 2 walls? Do you think removing the walls would be worth the additional cost or would you stay with the original layout?

• rhome410
    14 years ago

You have lived with it, so know much better than I, but the peninsula plans look claustrophobic to me...But I tend to feel that way in peninsula plans. As I said before, I really think that with the separate dining and living rooms, from which you can't see the kitchen, opening to the family room would be nice. I like Plan 5, but is that wall cut back as much as the contractor says is possible? It's still too tight at the table end of the island. I think the island would have to be shorter and maybe tapered in at the ends.

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

Numbers 1 & 2 You have lived with and know issues with them.

Numbers 3 & 4's island doesn't fit in the room. It sorta, kinda, would if it was 28" deep and didn't bend - at least the two foot wide aisle spot would be gone. But the cooking surface would void minimum safety clearances.

Number 5 doesn't have seating clearance as well as a pantry. You need a minimum of 32" from a table edge to a wall just so someone has enough room to pull out a chair and become seated. Getting by a seated person starts at around 34"

Number 6 actually won't work. Corner cabs need 36" on each wall that translates into 2 feet of the 4 foot space between the corners. Even if you tried to use a 24" range, it still won't fit because of required filler.

You have a hard space for everything you want to do. Just a suggestion to help improve clarity, but maybe divide everything into two piles - what do you want vs. need. Rate your plans as to how well they implement your wants and needs.

Below isn't great and actually removes one of the sliders, but it was the only new thing I could think of.
    {{gwi:1664289}}

• sandca
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks bmorepanic. That is the type of advice I need to hear. I guess I must have doubts that an open plan will work or I would have made the decision before now. I'll settle for 1 or 2. I don't want to miss out on the feb/Mar IKEA kitchen sale.

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

I'm sorry I couldn't offer more.

Ikea Kitchen sale?