Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing stains from granite

Posted by lisa51417 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 10, 11 at 13:00

Help! I got a new granite countertop (Wine River) and assumed it had been sealed before or shortly after installation. It wasn't.

Unfortunately, I left something wet on the countertop overnight and it promptly stained my brand-new, light-colored counter with a nice, round, ring. (I think it was rust, because the stone supplier warned me that if this stone wasn't well-sealed it could rust from the inside).

Does anyone have a good technique for removing this stain?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing stains from granite

Perhaps one of these threads will help you:

Oil Stain in Granite

Coffee Stain in Granite

Marble Poultice

o

Oh my :*(
you must be soooooooooooo upset.
I wonder why it was not sealed before they installed
it. Some places do a factory seal after they cut the
granite. Well too late for that and no sense thinking about
why. I would definitely contact your installer and see if
he/she can give you ideas on how to repair this.

Here are some links I found.

Natural Stone
http://www.natural-stone.com/stainremoval.html

Xomba Rust stains on granite
http://www.xomba.com/remove_rust_stains_granite_countertops

Here is a quote from the Housekeeping link below

".........Removing Rust

Rust is one of the most difficult stains to remove from marble, granite and other stone surfaces. Many of the rust removers available in stores can damage stone. We have found a great method for removing rust stains.

A product called Iron Out is available from most home centers and hardware stores. This product is a white powder that is designed for removing iron from water softeners, but also works great for removing iron and other metal stains from stone.

To remove iron stains mix I part Iron Out to 2 parts poultice powder (diatomaceous earth). Add water until you get a soupy consistency. Apply this mixture to the iron stain, cover with plastic and let it sit for 24 hours. After 24 hours remove the poultice and reapply if necessary.

For more information on iron and other stain removal see the book Stain Removal Guide for Stone, available from The National Training Center for Stone & Masonry Trades at 800-841-7199.

Here is a link that might be useful: Housekeeping Stain removal

o

Check out the "Stone Information" topic in the thread below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: Miscellaneous Information [Part of the

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here