Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dennisforman

Need suggestions for undermount corner kitchen sink

dennisforman
11 years ago

I am in the process of remodeling my rental property and the kitchen doesn't have much space. I have decided a corner sink will go best with the layout. Anyone have any experience with any good corner sinks. I need an undermount sink, preferably a double-bowl with large deep bowls.

Comments (11)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

You definitely don't want one of the batwing sinks designed for corners, since the faucet dribbles on the counter when you swing it from one bowl to the other. Aside from that, there's not really anything special about a sink in a corner. You'd use a regular sink, and which one depends on the cabinet you use and how you set up the corner. Are you planning to do an angled corner or a 90 degree corner, and what size is your cabinet? If you're using cabinetry that comes with a corner sink base, the specs should tell you what size sink will fit.

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

A single bowl is all that will really fit well in a corner configuration. Otherwise you start to have to have a 48" corner sink cabinet to shoehorn in a full sized sink, be it double or single. Or you have to practically demolish the cabinet sides to shoehorn it in, and then it's too far back and hurts your back. Corner sinks are the sink of LAST resort. Post your layout and you may find a better option.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Here's another way to get a sink into a corner, using a blind cabinet as the sink base:

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: details here

This post was edited by writersblock on Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 13:49

• decolisa
    11 years ago

I have a double bowl sink in a corner. It's 42 inches, quite deep, and I love it. It's the second one on the link, and I notice it is currently out of stock. Good news, the 37 inch model is in stock.

Livewire is right about corner sinks not being ideal. The sink takes up a lot of space. I had some awkward angles in my kitchen that I couldn't avoid, and a sink was the best use of that space, so I just got the biggest sink that would fit--and it barely fits. For a rental I wouldn't go 42 inches unless it is a very large kitchen.

I think writersblock's solution to put one bowl in an otherwise blind corner is a pretty good compromise.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinks

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

I love my corner sink! Wouldn't trade it. It's a double bowl undermount. I do have a lot of space in my kitchen, but my old house was very small and I had a corner sink there too. The "bat wing" kind! I chose it and had it for nearly 20 years. Yes, you could get water on the counter, but I guess I just was used to using it and that rarely happened.

{{!gwi}}

• dennisforman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I ended up getting the Ruvati RVH8400 which is a 'bat-wing' or 'butterfly' style corner sink. After reading some of your comments I was a little worried about water splash when swinging from one bowl to other. But my fabricator installed it in such a way that it left a little 'V' between the two bowls, kind of like in the picture below. He also positioned the faucet so that when it swings, the water goes over the V so that it falls on the stainless steel. So far it has worked quite well and my tenant is very happy with it. The sink finish looks really nice and the bowls are deep. I had bought a Ruvati sink before, and this one is just as good.

Here is a link that might be useful: corner sink

• em ko
    7 years ago

@dennis: I am looking to use RVH8400 for a corner ( butterfly style) . Would you mind to share what corner cabinet did you use ? I am wondering if it will fit ikea 38 inch corner cabinet.

thanks

• friedajune
    7 years ago

None of the bowls in a batwing style sink is big enough to be useful. Check the measurements of each bowl and you will see what I mean. I don't know why people don't look at bowl measurements of a sink they will have to use every day multiple times a day. I've never met anyone who is happy they installed a batwing sink. It would be interesting to hear from Dennisforman now that it's been 3 years since his post.

• Debbi Branka
    7 years ago

I disagree Frieda. As I said above, I had a bat wing sink for 22 years in my old house and I loved it. I raised my family with it and also did wedding cakes on the side. That sink got a lot of use and was functional. I liked it so much I installed one in our new basement kitchen.

• k_runge
    7 years ago

I hated my bat wing sink. Splashed water all over the counters and neither bowl was very big. I am currently in the process of remodeling and went with a single bowl 27" undermount. I am in love with the new sink. So much better. There is some unusable space in the corner behind the sink, but I'm going to place a plant stand back there.

• atiman
    7 years ago

I have a corner sink in a diagonal 42" cabinet. There is a window at each corner. I hate this set-up. I cant reach the back corner to clean nor can I reach the windows to open or close the blinds without dragging a chair over. what a pain in the butt. I can not move my sink location, so my only choice is the "bat wing" setup so that I can reach the windows and clean most of the back corner.

The Ruvati seems plenty big enough and really not that much smaller (interior bowl dimensions) than my 33" double bowl sink. Installing the bat wing sink with a counter cut out between both bowls is an easy solution to solve water on the counter. I would never think to install this sink without such a cutout.