Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
0errant

Split Face Backsplash

Errant_gw
10 years ago

Hi all,

I'm going to have new counters installed (leaning towards River White granite) and have been looking at tiles for the backsplash.

I keep getting sucked into the split face stacked stones. Something like this:

Would a split face stone be a nightmare to clean in a kitchen? It's open and well ventilated. I don't have small children. I will have matching granite backsplash around the cooktop.

Also, do you think the stacked stone would be too busy against the granite? I'm looking for slabs that don't have a ton of movement, but still have the flowing look of river. My cabinets are a dark chalkboard green, so I wanted the counters and walls to be white based to lighten things up.

Have any of you done something similar, and would you mind posting photos?

Any help you can offer would be very much appreciated!

Comments (11)

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I wouldn't do it myself, but it is beautiful!

• xc60
    10 years ago

We had ours in for a couple if years with no problems, but of course you do have to take more care to avoid really messy splatters. You can always put up a fireproof temporary guard if you planned a messy meal and take down after.

• Errant_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not having it anywhere near my cooktop and ovens, I think I will be safe from major messes.

Cat Mom, you don't have any issues with water damage using it in the bathroom? That was another concern, since it will be near my sink. The stones are simply stacked, and not grouted between, right? What keeps water from seeping in?

• xc60
    10 years ago

I've seen threads on here that some say it should be grouted not sure how, but it is possible. Mine was not grouted and I chose not to seal it. Some seal it, which may help with water.

Mine did not come in contact with any water, although I have seen some photos of people who put it in showers. Brave people, I would hate to clean that or brush my elbow against it, eeeekkkkk!

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Our tile guys smooshed as much unsanded grout between any joints/spaces that would take it. I helped them scrape some grout out of the crevices using the tip of a utility knife blade.

It's in the bathroom DH uses, and I am sure he splashes while washing up to some degree (I see how much water he sloshes around the kitchen sink! LOL). We do wipe the sinktop in the bathroom after use, esp where the tile meets the sink/countertop, so there isn't standing water just sitting there.

I clean our bathrooms weekly for the most part. I spray the tub surround all over with 7th Gen Disinfecting Bathroom Cleaner, and then wipe it down with a microfiber cloth that I also spray with the cleaner as I go. The split face mosaic accent tile is high enough on the wall that it really isn't in direct contact with water spray while showering (no bumped elbows either! :)), nor have I found any soap or shampoo residue on the tile. I just give it a wipe with the cleaner-dampened cloth after spraying it and letting it sit for a few minutes, and it still looks like new (3 years old now?).

• xc60
    10 years ago

I'm so sorry cat_mom, I meant the whole shower surround completely done with split faced. I think your mosaic accent would be fine in a shower. :)

• Errant_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yikes, I was just quoted $1200 in labor to install 46 sq ft of this in my kitchen. Looks like I'm going to have to tackle this install on my own :o

Any advice on cutting for edges and outlets would be greatly appreciated. Since this stuff is on sheets, I don't think I can use a wet saw. I wonder if it would be better to remove individual tiles from sheets to mix and match sizes in those areas?

• xc60
    10 years ago

My husband installed ours and said it was easy considering he had never installed a backsplash before. He did use a wet saw and said the tile cut easy. Around the outlets he did as you said and removed the individual tiles and cut them to size.

One thing to note is that the tiles were not all straight so sometimes they would leave gaps on the top or bottom of the sheets or between the tiles as you try to fit them together. We played with the layout of the sheets on the floor to see which sheets fit better together to minimize or avoid the gaps before installing on the wall.

• rvd1970
    9 years ago

Oh my word. I LOVE this particular split face stone u have posted. By chance do you know the manufacturer and name of it? What did you decide for ur backsplash?

• Errant_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's Jeffrey Court "Churchill." I was able to buy it at Home Depot and install ourselves (which turned out to be pretty straight forward).