Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aloha2009

Window Arrangement

aloha2009
13 years ago

Making a focal point on a kitchen wall, asestics alone, would you prefer to have:

1) A range in the middle with two 36" windows on either side or

2) A sink in the middle with a 6' window centered over the sink.

Comments (14)

• granite-girl
    13 years ago

sink at window

• worldmom
    13 years ago

If there is still *a* window at the sink, I'd choose widows flanking the range. I LOVE how that looks and am envious of people who have that arrangement.

If there is only one window wall, I'd choose the big sink window.

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The sink will be on the island w/o a window

Here's a link to a kitchen layout we are considering:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_hUw_VQ5l9r0/TIN8XflhtnI/AAAAAAAAH48/bdtISpRMVro/s1600-h/3155670373_33de6db83b_o23.jpg

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

I wanted the range between windows to be on the best exterior wall but I got dealt out of it. I still think about it.

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I too like the look of the range with windows on either side. This would enable us to have a window directly in front of us when prepping. The part I don't like is, we don't want the kitchen to look like a kitchen (VERY open floor plan) and if it just a large window, it blends more with the other rooms. We'd also have less upper cabinets.
    Decisions, decisions.

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

Oh, definitely go for the windows flanking the range. That's a wonderful look (I think it feels much more open than one window over a sink with looming cabs on either side). Combine it with a wall-long shelf in order to compensate for the loss of wall cabs there:

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

is there a range hood in the mix?

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

LOVE windows flanking a range. I think it's a different then the average bear look. Either way, if you want a open "upperless" floor plan, you can do that either way.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

I too love windows on either side of the range.
    Here are my favorites.
    ~boxer

Pewter Cabinets Scagoli

Corner Stone Custom Homes

Burman Cabinet Co.

Darks Squidoo

Brooke Giannetti

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Boxerpups, thanks for all the pics. Awesome as usual!

I like the idea of the windows flanking the range but...
    1. I don't have room for upper cabinets anywhere else but that wall, and it would decrease from 90" to 60" of upper cabinets for the whole room.
    2. Not sure if I want to have my kitchen to look like a kitchen when it's ALL open (don't have a living room just great room).
    3. We're leaning towards a modern/sleek look and a hood/vent over an electric cooktop, seems off to me. Gas doesn't seem to fit in modern IMHO.
    4. It would put the main sink on the island (dirty dishes and all, though we do keep things pretty tidy - TYPICALLY).

The parts I like are.
    1. Decoratinging a hood over the stove top really allows for a personal statement (if I put the range on the island, it will be a downdraft).
    2. Venting would be much less expensive.
    3. I like the idea of prepping next to the stove, with the window in front of me.

• aokat15
    13 years ago

aloha2009 - the photo you posted was my inspiration photo for layout and design so I am very biased. The only difference for our layout is we have our main sink on the wall to the right - with windows over it instead of the long windows and we have a prep sink in our island.

We have only been in the house for a few days and are still doing a lot of final touches, but I love the layout. I do have a walk-in pantry and I'm so happy that I chose the windows over upper cabinets... there is more than enough storage in the base cabinets, island, and pantry and walking into the room with all the light is just great. The two uppers I have are 36" each are plenty for us. We keep our glasses, mugs, etc up there and have dishes in drawers.

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Aokat, I'm not sure what picture you were referring to, was it on another thread?

I realize that it may be chaotic right now with just moving in, but when you have some time in the future, I'd love to see your layout. You give me hope when you too have so few uppers (though it sounds like you may have a lot more lowers).

• aokat15
    13 years ago

This shot is straight on - don't mind the mess :)