Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tyjy_gw

Need Floor! Have Golden Oak Wood & Twilight Bahia Granite

tyjy
14 years ago

Hi everyone! I found this website while trying to update my kitchen. Like others before me, I am driving myself totally crazy, and everyone around me : / trying to choose a new floor and I am hoping beyond hope you can HELP ME!

Currently I have 25 year old louvered golden oak cabinets (that I need to keep), new Twilight Bahia granite counters (blacks, grays, browns), and 25 year old linoleum that is scalloped cut around the counter height snack bar area, (old berber carpet next to it extending all the way to the front door).

My worry is that the louvered cabinet doors and the "not plain" granite will not go well with too busy of a floor (ie: staggered tiles, too much color variation)...so was wondering what to get and WHAT COLOR?

Two ideas to consider:

One is to just replace the kitchen floor with ??... laminate/tile/vinyl/? and keep the scallop/carpet scheme (with new carpet).

OR, extend the new kitchen floor all the way to the front door (which would include the kitchen, dining, and foyer areas).

(I am definitely going to get new carpet, new dining room set, etc. so disregard those!)

The entire area is raised (via kneehigh wood studs) so heavyish stained concrete like material couldn't work even though I think that'd look cool. I want something that looks like a nice quality...would slatelook type laminate tile be nice? Is sheet vinyl not appropriate for a dining/foyer?

What colors? (bluish gray...brownish gray...tan/cream??)

Do I need to match the granite counter specifically?

(Note: There is a bluish/grayish tone fieldstone fireplace in the dining room...Paint colors could easily change...I was just in a "color" mood last year.)

You all sure do seem to know what you're doing! I so respect that! PLEASE...Do you have any suggestions for me?

I sure would appreciate any help!

(I am going to try and post pictures. This is my very first post so I do NOT really know what I'm doing!)

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Select Kitchen Pix Before New Floor

Comments (6)

• tyjy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am HOPING this will put the pictures right up on this message page (which, as a reader I MUCH prefer!)...

{{!gwi}}

If this didn't work...FOOEY, I'm sorry : / I guess the URL link is the best I can do. I don't understand the directions and I just did an "upload" of images for the first time in my life! haha

Here is a link that might be useful: Select Kitchen Pix Before New Floor

• chris45ny
    14 years ago

Will try to post some of your pics here. Hope this works.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

here's a good shot for tyiy:

I like the idea of tile in a grayish/blue ... on the lighter side.

If you want to go with laminate; I personally prefer the wood look laminate to stone look laminate. It's just a personal perference. In that case; I would go with a lighter then your cabs wood look... maybe something in a more ashy tone.

• chris45ny
    14 years ago

Well, it worked so I was able to post some of your pics but I forgot to resize them down-sorry. Love your granite. Think advice given by remodelfla is spot on. A gray tile (not too dark) would look great with the granite, cabs, and ss and black appliances. Agree that laminate in wood slightly lighter than your cabs would look nice too. I vote for extending the kitchen floor and getting rid of the "scallop."

• tyjy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yay! Some responses!

(First...THANKS A MILLION! for getting some of the pictures right on the page for me! Yay! I just think it's easier to understand questions when the real thing is right before you)

FYI if it helps with suggestions: The adjoining sunroom has ceiling and walls in wood...which is why I am thinking a tile or ceramic will be a little better (to offset all that wood). Do you agree? Or doesn't it really matter?

My granite is mainly black (and gray and brown and there's a cream and a bluish gray too)... If I go all the way to my foyer door with the new flooring, do you think I'll be shell-shocked because it's not carpet like I'm used to? And, if I do that I know I'll want a better quality looking material. I just can't imagine a vinyl in that scenario...can you?

Anyone know of a nice "ashy" tone grey slate-like tile? I have looked at DuraCeramic Urban Slate but wasn't sure if there was too much going on with it (or if there was too much of a light blue in the gray and also too much tan)...(or am I getting too picky and trying to match exactly with granite?) I'm also concerned about grout lines (being busy). Whatdya think?

Thanks again for your help : )

• tyjy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Boo...

I look at these pictures and think the whole works just looks like a mess *sob

I feel like I'm just muddling along here. I feel like just blowing up the house...

Where would any of you START .... BESIDES the floor : /