Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Any problems with Kohler faucets?

plllog
15 years ago

My favorite local fixture store doesn't carry Kohler faucets any more because several years ago Kohler wouldn't take back ones with problems. Since I had pretty well decided on Kohler faucets that worried me.

Have any of you had problems? Have you had issues with Kohler? Have they not lived up to their warranties?

I had gone there to buy them yesterday... What do you think?

Comments (20)

• mfrog
    15 years ago

I bought a Kohler faucet a few years ago, paid $900 for it, had nothing but problems. The technical guy at Kohler kept telling us the problem (which it wasn't) finally after a year of cleaning up leaking water behind the sink we bought a Delta for $200 & threw the Kohler in the garbage.

The Delta is still going strong. Not quite as pretty, but for a kitchen faucet, pretty doesn't cut it.

BTW, Kohler wouldn't replace it, they just kept sending parts for it that weren't the problem. They wouldn't listen to us.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Nope...no problems! We've had our Kohler faucets in the new kitchen for 9 months now and no leaking, no problems w/finish, etc.

We have 13-year old Kohler faucets in our bathrooms and only one "sprays" a little...but the screen may just need cleaning out as we have well water w/sediment. We have had no problems w/leaking, etc. in any of them. (I kind of wish we did so I could justify getting new ones!)

Oh, we did have sixteen 12-year old girls over to cook a dinner and they did loosen the handle of the Vinnata by yanking on it and pulling it since it doesn't work like the ones they're used to...but a quick tighten was all it took to put it back to rights! So I guess there was one issue...but I don't think any faucet brand w/the same design would have survived these girls...they are very active/rambunctious/impatient/(hyperactive?)!

• Fori
    15 years ago

No problems in the bath. And (unless you're getting a $900 one), it's just a faucet. It's not like super ultra permanent. It's something you can swap out yourself in 30 minutes.

• datura-07
    15 years ago

We have had two Kohler faucets for over 25 years and have had no problems

• User
    15 years ago

in our last remodel i used an inexpensive kohler faucet in the fairfax series and after 2 years it started to leak. i called kohler and they sent some replacement parts but it did not fix the leak entirely, just enough that it did not show up for inspection (i feel terrible saying this and it will probably jinx the new faucet we put in this kitchen!)
    we also used 3 kohler faucets in the bathroom and it seems that 1 of them had an issue with a part that was loose and rattled but it did not leak. so i definietly question the reliability that kohler was once known for.

• arc1017
    15 years ago

YES! two bathrooms we have redone, bought various Kohler fixture suites-- soup to nuts, including roman bath fixtures with handshower, etc. ALL leak, drip, drip drip drip- as others have said, kohler will send you replacement parts, waste of time and money, last bathroom we bought Moen, much better, and somewhat cheaper. Although, not thrilled with moen for the basement kitchen sink...so we went for the gold with Rohl in the main kitchen...honestly it's a better product but worth the $$$ ???- I don't know. Is there somewhere in between?

• rnest44
    15 years ago

Kohler forte in the masterbath for several years without any issues. Grew up with Kohler in the whole house. Still going strong since 1964.

• sw_in_austin
    15 years ago

We've had Kohler faucets and fixtures in our bath for 3 1/2 years with excellent results and a Kohler kitchen faucet in our new kitchen, in use for 8 months, also doing well with no problems. That said, we did not buy any of the fixtures at Home Depot or Lowe's (I think I bought them all online). I've heard -- maybe on GW? -- that the versions sold in the big box stores are of a lesser quality -- or maybe just a different line entirely.

• plllog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the responses. It sounds like the people who are having problems are having the same trouble with Kohler as the store was. Not big box--very high end, very popular, both wholesale and retail.

I was going to buy the Kohler Karbon for my island. It's very cute. But it's also expensive (though it's come down about a third while I've been tarrying). I'm not spending it on something they won't stand behind.

In fact, I originally thought I'd also buy a Kohler for the clean up sink, but I've been kind of in love with this Italian one, which (also because of tarrying) now has a spray. It looks like just a faucet, but it feels SO good. And the store say they've never had any returns on that one, and it's only a couple weeks (not months) to get parts.

• User
    15 years ago

i have heard the same thing about kohler products at lowes and hd being of lesser quality as the same product bought elsewhere. i do not know if that is true or not as we special ordered the faucets that we had in our last house and still had issues with them. when my parents remodeled their house in the late 80's they put in all kohler products and did not have any problems with them. even with our past issues i am still considering a kohler faucet.

• november
    15 years ago

We've had a Kohler Vinata and a Kohler Fairfax in our kitchen for a year, and so far no problems. I really like them. But I agree with whoever said if there's a problem, it's really easy to switch out a faucet.

• mfrog
    15 years ago

I didn't buy my hunk of Kohler junk at a box store, it was purchased from a high end kitchen & bath store. A couple of years after the problem, the store also told us they were having problems with Kohler & were considering dropping them as a supplier.

• arleneb
    15 years ago

I had Kohler Fairfax in the last house -- kitchen and master bath -- only problem with any of them was that the kitchen one had a toggle to go from stream to spray, and after about 5 years it was increasingly harder to go back and forth. Minor nuisance, but I made sure the faucet for the new house kitchen doesn't have that same kind of toggle!

Arlene

• aggiemomma2boys
    15 years ago

EEK! Now I'm worried about my Kohler Fairfax Kitchen Faucet. I must admit, I bought it for looks...even though the plumber recommended Moen or Delta! I hope I'm not in for heartache....we won't be installing it for a couple more months (new construction).

• thejimmmmy
    8 years ago

we just purchase faucet from kohler line and will never do it again - they went cheap on water service lines - the design is that you can not use universal lines on them - they design it for their lines only - the water service lines are thin and create a pinch points when trying to tighten them down. I did call them and got bogus answer after answer - the CS people must be scripted not to spill their guts on what the problems are - I could hear the CS person holding back - their answer was either we sent you the same manufacture (defective) water service lines again or you have to return the faucet back to retail store - I said if I take this out to return, I will not use kohler again - at that point it was is their anything I can help you with - I know its not the CS people fault on this - its the CEO fault of the company to go cheap - its the CEO fault - that's who you blame

• quadesl
    8 years ago

We have a chrome Kohler Elate that we've had for about four years. We really like it and transferred it to our new soapstone sink a year and a half ago. We have had to replace the head a couple of times now as the flow becomes restricted at some point. Kohler was very good about getting a replacement FOC. Love the look, function and finish of the faucet which has held up well and still looks like new.

• John Wagner
    2 years ago

I bought a Kohler Ealing and right away, the hot water side didn't work. I swapped the lines and sure enough, the same side didn't work. I called Kohler and they said they'd send me a new valve, but it would take a month. When I got the valve, I had to go out and buy a 4mm hex wrench to remove the handle. When I got the handle off, the next step was to remove the bonnet and unscrew the nut holding the valve in place. It tried all my sockets and none of them fit. It turns out the nut is 23mm, an odd size, since none of the hardware stores carry them. I finally said "ENOUGH!" and bought a new Kohler Sous faucet, hoping to get my money back for the Ealing. After installing the Sous, the hot water worked, but the cold water was a drizzle. I guess I'm stuck with finding a 23mm socket and returning the Sous to Home Depot, since it's probably passed return time for the Ealing. DO NOT BUY KOHLER! Their quality is horrible.

• HU-126355617
    2 years ago

We installed a Kohler shower head with a single handle shower controller. The cartridge that controls water mixing failed 6 months later. We replaced it. The replacement failed. We replaced it. All Kohler replacement cartridges. When we talked to plumbing parts store owner about the part failing he said new cartridge replacement parts seem to be bad, everyone is returning them. We talked to Kohler and they won't admit that there is a problem. We will not be using Kohler again. Don't buy Kohler single handle shower faucet.

• Bill Armstrong
    last year

We bought a Kohler pull out sprayer faucet in April of 2022. We did not do the house rehab until this week (August 30). After the installer put it in, we found that the valves were not working.

Kohler customer service was horrible, requiring that we wait 3-5 business days for them to let us know if they could even get us working parts.

Lowe's Home Improvement Center was kind enough to do a total exchange.