Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ottertail_gw

Backsplash help....again

ottertail
15 years ago

I am now working on the AZ home and need some advice on choosing a backsplash. The kitchen has cherry cabinets, stainless appliances, 18" neutral tile floor and Santa Cecelia Granite. We are thinking of one of these two: basketweave or small diamonds. Opinions please. You all have been so helpful in the past!

Comments (25)

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I like the basketweave one better. It has less of the pinkish tone than the diamond one has. I worry that the basketweave on the whole BS area may be too busy though. The diamond one does not match the granite very well. The color is wrong.

• ottertail
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Perhaps the color is due to the display as the diamond one does not have pinkish tones when I look at it here.

• jessie21
    15 years ago

Sorry, but I personally would go for a more solid color look with maybe a few accents. To me, both of these choices might compete too much with the granite....too much movement in their patterns. Also, to me the basketweave seems like it would be a dust collector.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

It may just be my monitor making it look pinkish, but the tones of it are not the same as the tones in the granite. I honestly don't think it is a good match. Using either one as an accent tile might work, but since your granite is pretty bold, they might compete with the granite.

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

I think they are both too small--too close to the patterning in the stone. They are both beautiful mosaics, just not right for there IMO.

• ottertail
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How about one of these?

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

Of those two, the first one is much better. It has all the right tones. But there again....as small as it is, it may be too busy for your granite. It would look wonderful as an accent strip with larger, plain tiles surrounding it, just not on it's own.

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

Ideally you need something about twice as big in format I would say.

• ottertail
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great input. I am off to the tile store for larger samples.

• christinamc
    15 years ago

We recently put in Santa Cecelia counters. We started out wanting a natural stone backsplash. In the end, we gravitated more toward a glossy almond 3x6" subway tile from Daltile. The reason we changed was because the stone looked too pink and too rough next to the granite. However, we saw this brown glass and travertine mosaic, and fell in love with it, so we put a strip of it into our b/s. We really like the result. From a distance, it looks a bit like confetti, due to the random pattern, but up close it's really pretty. Here's a photo; the subway looks kind of pink in the photo but its not in person.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Check out this calcutta gold octango field tile from Artistic Tile. I don't remember seeing it before so it might be new. SOooooooo pretty!
    {{!gwi}}

• ottertail
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your guidance. We now have a finished product. I wanted to share it with you.

href="http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m116/ottertail_2006/?action=view¤t=P1000947-1.jpg"; target="_blank">

• lyno
    15 years ago

Sorry, ottertail, nothing was showing when I first looked. I guess I wasn't patient enough! I guess that pic was one of them. Again, sorry! Your kitchen and backsplash is so beautiful that shot deserves to be seen twice!

• ottertail
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lyno. that's OK. No problem.

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Gorgeous! What did you use? I esp. love the pewter plaque!

• ottertail
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ajsmama,
    I used tumbled tile called Paredon from A World of Tile in Glendale, AZ. The plaque was also bought from them and is made by Questech..Dorset line.

Thanks for your compliment. It looks like you are trying to do a backsplash too.

• evilbunnie
    15 years ago

Nice work! I like seeing how this played out -- your dilemma, your options, the responses, and your resolution -- beautiful result, informative process, I so love this forum!

You really ended up with a warm, functional, pretty kitchen!

• suzatwork
    15 years ago

Great choices! I especially like how you framed up the pewter plaque to really make an impact. Enjoy!

• bdaykitchen
    15 years ago

Turned out great! The advice for larger tiles really paid off. Finished off beautifully. Enjoy!

• ottertail
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, I like it and thanks to all of you!

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Would that be Daltile's Paredon in Peruvian Cream? That's the closest I found when I Googled Paredon tile. I am trying to do a backsplash. Not sure how the cream color would look with my laminate, but the Paredon I found at Floormall.com is the same price as the Horus Art subway I found locally. Hmmm, I may order a sample...

Did you fill the holes in the tumbled stone before you installed, or as you were grouting?

• ottertail
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ajsmama,
    We got the tile at World of Tile. I don't know if it is like the one at Daltile. We had it professionally installed. The installer gouted over the holes when grouting the spaces.

• rockycove
    15 years ago

Christinamc has great idea with glass mosaic as an accent with subway tile. What is the color of subway tile? We have BM Frappe cabinets, heart pine floors and Santa Cecelia granite. The BS is a challenge and the photos here are lovely. BS is extremely hard to choose so suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

ajsmama, it could be made by Regio USA. I used a tile by them called Tumbled Paradon which is a travertine. Here's a link, click on "products" and then "stone specialties", then "ranges" and you will see it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Regio Tile, USA