Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quiltgirl_gw

what is the largest slab available?

quiltgirl
11 years ago

For those of you with deep counters, what type of material did you use for counter tops? I will have 27" deep counters and am wondering what is the biggest slab of stone I can get to avoid a lot of wasted product. What is the biggest piece available for marble, quartz or granite?

Comments (10)

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

I have 30 in counters and was easily able to find slabs wide enough to get two counter runs.

• Cloud Swift
    11 years ago

Some of the quartz products only come in 55 or 56" E.g. Ceasarstone slabs are 144 cm ~ 56". Silestone comes in 55 for 2 cm and 3 cm and 63" for 3 cm. I don't know if all the colors come in the larger slab size. Cambria tops out at 55".

For natural stone, the maximum slab size is going to depend on the stone you choose, but slabs over 60" are pretty common - I'm 5' 1" and most of the slabs were taller than me (in their short dimension). Our quartzite tends to come in smaller slabs but they were still over 60" wide.

• PeterH2
    11 years ago

Quartz is limited to 55" wide. Theoretically, that is enough for two 27.5" deep counters (you lose a little to the saw cut, but it's close enough) the real killer is the strip used for the built-up edge (assuming you need one), which has to come from the same slab to get a perfect match. Basically, 55" is enough for two 25.5" counters with built-up edges.

If you want 30" deep quartz counters, you are SOL. We like Quartz, and we want extra-deep counters, so we have become resigned to the extra cost.

I assume GWlolo has stone.

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

I have soapstone and I looked only at natural stones - Granite and Quartzite. Another alternative is someone who can do by the sq.ft.

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    11 years ago

Granite - some colors in "jumbo" slabs. largest I have seen was 132 X 78". typical is 120 X 65".

Quartz is typically 120 X 55". SIlestone has most of their colors now in 128 X 63". HanStone has a few of their most popular in the larger size.

Quartz was invented in Europe. If you've ever visited homes in Europe you know why the standard slab sizes are so small. (they're just right for low waste on a typical european size kitchen.)

• caliente63
    11 years ago

> SIlestone has most of their colors now in 128 X 63"

Wow - that's great news - I think we just saved a four-figure sum on our planned White North counters!

• caliente63
    11 years ago

I spoke too soon - the jumbo sized slabs are only available 3 cm thick; we plan on 2 cm with a built-up edge. So either we have to change our design, or we have to pay for the extra slab after all. :-(

• quiltgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What about Cambria? Is that any bigger than the 55" width? I am looking for a light colored countertop to go on B.M. Simply White painted cabinets. Of course I love marble, but realize the impracticality of it, so am looking for something to give me a similar feel.

• DCJersey
    11 years ago

Cambria is not available in jumbo slabs. Our kitchen is also going to have BM Simply White cabs and we were looking at Cambria Torquay for our island. Unfortunately the Cambria Slabs are not big enough to cover the entire island so instead we decided on Silestone Lagoon. It hasn't been installed yet but I went to a local kitchen shop to see it (rather than just a tiny sample). Its more subtle than Torquay and would not be confused with marble if right next to marble but it does have a similar feel to marble.