Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizziebethtx

What about a shot of contemporary lighting in kitchen? So Stuck.

lizziebethtx
14 years ago

I would surely appreciate some advice on lighting. I have a 10 x 10 kitchen and I don't want to get too crazy or ornate in such a small space. My kitchen is U shaped and I'm doing shaker white cabinets (I know. I know). I chose them for the simple clean design and because it's not too contemporary or traditional. I think shaker can go both ways. I'm much more traditional in my taste and normally I don't care for contemporary...especially if a design screams contemporary. I chose white painted maple because I have very little natural light with a north facing window. I'm going to do black granite countertops. On the left side of the U...I will do 45" inches of upper cabinets. That is it for uppers. On the back side of the U I'm going to do some open shelving. The right side of the U will remain clean as I'm going to hang vintage artwork on that wall for color. I have lots of antique / vintage items (vases, bowls, etc. that are not country but also not ornate...just colorful. I'm going to arrange some of them on the open shelving along with my every day dishes. So I'm not doing a contemporary kitchen by any means...but it's not strictly traditional either in my opinion.

The adjoining tiny eating area...which I'm turning into a reading nook....will have an antique piece of furniture flanked by two chairs. So...here's my dilemma. I've fallen in love with a contemporary light fixture. I'd need two...one centered in the 10 x 10 kitchen and one in the reading nook area (currently there is a ceiling fan there). It is just basic lighting...I will have halogen spots in the kitchen and a reading lamp in the nook.

I'm going to use antique hanging ceiling fixtures in the LR and dining room. You cannot see the LR from the kitchen, but you can see part of the dining room...including the fixture over the table. The rooms definitely all flow into each other and I don't want them to look wildly different.

Both the dining room and LR fixtures are black...the LR fixture is iron and it's very good-looking...even elegant without being frilly. It's an antique. It belonged to my great grandmother...and is the most unusual fixture I've ever seen. It has clean lines and no bling. It's not rustic. The DR fixture is from an old hotel in NY and it's also simple & elegant with no bling. It is also black and has arms.

So....can I have more contemporary lighting in the kitchen as long as I stick with black? My colors for the entire area (3 rooms plus entry) are turquoise, apple green and yellow...not screaming yellow...just a warm yellow with no green undertones. I have LOTS of white...bookcases...fireplace...slipcovers...that keep the colors tame. I am going to use black & white houndstooth slipcovers on 2 chairs and on a cushion a built in bench seat. I'm also going to use pops of black elsewhere...like a mirror...to tie the rooms together too. It sounds busier than it is in reality. It's just my definition of "happy" and believe me...this house is a 30-years-old spec house with all original builder grade brown and beige items. It lacks a lot of natural light and cries out for a dose of pure "happy." Also, I'm from New Orleans and I just love color. I'm sure it's the French, Carribean and Spanish influence. I just can't help myself. LOL! Sorry this is so long winded...I just don't want to make a mistake with the kitchen fixtures. I so appreciate the combined talent this group has.

"http://s698.photobucket.com/albums/vv343/storkladysigns/?action=viewt=8774-blacklight.jpg"; target="_blank">

Comments (15)

• cawaps
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It sounds great--you don't need to apologize for white cabinets, really. You're situation with limited natural light begs for them.

Your kitchen sounds gorgeous, and I love the fixture. BUT...without pictures it's really hard to say if it works together. You said, "It sounds busier than it is in reality", and I have to agree with at least the "sounds busy" part--I just can't see the black fixture with the white/tourquoise/green/yellow mix you describe. That doesn't mean it wouldn't look great, just that I can't visualize without picures.

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

I think it sounds groovy. Perhaps you can even throw in a houndstooth area rug in an adjoining room to help carry the pattern from the chairs into other parts. Even though you have those 2 antique lights that you mention, maybe there is a way to add a little bit of this modern feel in those rooms as well--maybe a silver colored (stainless, nickel, etc) modern lamp in those rooms. Just like you are carrying the white wood through out, I would suggest carrying the modern throughout too--but in a a very subtle way.

We need pictures too! Can't really give good opinions without.

Good luck!

• earthpal
    14 years ago

I agree that pictures, particularly of your other lamp, would really help and I agree to skip the black.

This lamp or others similar to it are available in a wide variety of colors and patterns. That said, I don't think this lamp is a good fit for your kitchen based on what you have said. The lamp design is Modern and a throwback to the late 50s/early 60s MCM look and it just doesn't strike me as fitting in with everything else you have described.

It is possible with pictures tho it would make sense to me.

• lizziebethtx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry I didn't make much sense. Here are some inspiration photos. I have more using the green but they are on a different computer and i have no access at the moment. I'm not doing exactly what you see, but you get the idea. I have 4 distinct areas I'm working in. The LR, DR, hallway to kitchen, kitchen and reading nook. They flow of course...as all rooms flow together...but they separate spaces. I'm using neutral furniture and I described all the white above. I'm going to paint the LR and DR walls turquoise. The hallway to kitchen and reading nook apple green. Inside the U shaped kitchen area everything will be white (upper areas) except the wall of art and it will be yellow. The yellow will only peak out behind the art. The art will be the focus. I have wood floors all over and I'm accenting with black. there will be black countertops, a black mirror...fixtures...and black & white accent fabrics here and there. I have other pops of black too. The LR and DR ceiling fixtures are antiques. I have antique furniture too.....old pine pieces...nothing heavy and dark. I also have some modern table lamps in addition to vintage ones and some modern art...though most of the art is vintage. I do have a mix of new and old....but my 2 main ceiling fixtures are antiques and I wonder if I can mix in the fixture I referenced in the kitchen. hope it better makes sense now. Thanks a bunch.

• cawaps
    14 years ago

Seeing your inspiration photos, I think it could totally work. The photos show some really strong black/white graphic elements, which makes the look come off as more contemporary than it really is (based on the furniture style).

• malhgold
    14 years ago

I think it would look great. While I know the pendant light you posted is "modern" it doesn't scream contemporary to me. I love to mix modern and traditional. Make sure to post pics when you're done.

• sochi
    14 years ago

I agree with cawaps - go for it. I love the light fixture and I think it would all come together well.

• marthavila
    14 years ago

I love your love of color that is liberally mixed in with black and white! I also love that fixture! I'm sure it will work very well with your design scheme. But, if you decide it doesn't, why don't you send it to me? I have just the perfect place. . . :-)

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

Kelly Wearstler would say go for it!
    Bold graphics, mix of color and neutrals, quirky items mixed with traditional classic pieces. All good. I think anything that accentuates your personal style is a good one. The basic shape of the black light makes it seem modern but many traditional elements have a restrained conservative edge too.

Some other designers with a similar mix somewhat related to your black/white design but a touch more modern:
    Erin Martin, Napa
    Nicole Hollis, San Francisco
    Christine Lane, Boston (more white than black)

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

I think it could be great. That fixture also comes with a shade that reminds me of the wall paper in the second to the last photo.

My only suggestion is a few more things that are black and white throughout - maybe curtains, maybe upholstery, thows or pillows. So it becomes a tie color between the spaces instead of a tie color for just the light fixtures.

• lizziebethtx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you. Thank you. I just wanted to have some validation before I ordered it. I'm going for it. I definitely will use black and white throughout. The color will actually be a background to the black and white. I'll be sure to post photos once I'm done. I guess my kitchen & surrounding areas will be the lone LOUD shocking space on the forum.LOL! I love creamy and pale and sedate. It's very sophisticated. In fact, I've done it in previous homes and would have never guessed I'd be faced with a situation like I'm in. But this spec house with so little natural light and zero architectural charm BEGS for color and a "happy factor." I moved from a 1920s raised Acadian cottage in New Orleans with good bones and tons of architectural interest to a subdivision spec house with not one ounce of charm or architectural interest in another state. I would have never chosen this house, but I'm here and I want to bloom and this seemed the right direction to go. So, on this forum, at times...I feel like a fish swimning upstream with no marble, limestone, blingy chandeliers and a simple 10 x 10 U-shaped kitchen with (sadly) no room for an island or much else for that matter. thanks again for all your input. If anyone pipes in after this I'll still be checking. I'm all for lots of creative thinking. I'm going to check out all the designers above. Thank you all again. :-)

• theanimala
    14 years ago

We went with a lamp very similar to yours but is white rather than black:

http://www.cb2.com/family.aspx?c=120&f=4773

Best part is the price, only $49. I is designed to be plugged into an outlet so we just cut off the end to hardwire it into our house.

• lizziebethtx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the link to CB2. I checked out your pendant and I really like it. I searched for black but they didn't have any pendants that are black. I really think I need black in my situation. The fixture I found is $179.00. I need two. That's more than I'd like to pay but less than the $500 I would have spent on two more traditional fixtures I found earlier. :-) Do you have photos of your kitchen? I'd love to see it. Thanks

• theanimala
    14 years ago

Sorry, I didn't read where you needed black, I thought you were looking for white. I really like the one you have picked out. I did find this one for $125, but it's higher than wide according to the picture:

http://www.petittresor.com/nursery-lights-maura-daniels-white-cord-pendant-lamp-black/baby-boutique-catalog.aspx?product=6515

Regarding our kitchen, here is a link to it:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg011500308596.html

Good luck finding your lamp decision!

• lizziebethtx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I like the black lamp you sent me. Thanks. I also love your kitchen. I remember seeing it now. It is a favorite. It's so much larger than mine and a lot better quailty too. You did a great job. I love the pops of red. I also love your fixture. Thanks for the help and advice. I so appreciate it.

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA