Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you store a LARGE collection of spices?

Posted by cj47 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 10, 08 at 12:41

For those of you who keep large numbers of spices, what storage solutions do you employ? I currently store my spices in two (overflowing) 10X18 narrow boxes slid into narrow cabinets next to the stove. I also have a wall rack where the everyday spices reside--various cinnamons, peppers, salts, salad seasonings and the like. We are planning a major renovation in our home, including a new kitchen. I need ideas on how to manage the spice inventory. I love to cook, and I do use them all. So, those of you with large spice inventories--please, please, share your storage solutions with me! If you can manage it, pictures would be MOST appreciated!!

PS, I live near Penzey's. It's a both a blessing and a curse. :-)

Cj

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you store a LARGE collection of spices?

I'm trying to figure that out myself :) Originally I thought of a double sided spice pullout like I grew up with. Then I started thinking I might put baking spices with the cannisters, herbs and other spices in the prep area, and things I use by the stove in the upper (or appliance garage!) right there. But then my plans changed and I took out a couple cabinets. So now I think I'm back to a pullout, which is the most efficient, plus the few by the stove. Unless you come up with a better idea! :D

o

I have mine stored the same way as lascatz's:

Mine are in a 18" wide by 30" deep draw next to the cooktop and under the baking area. I store all my spices and seasoning except for salt and pepper in this draw. I used 3 oz glass bottles ordered from www.specialtybottle.com and labeled them with my labeler.

o

That's my drawer above with bottles from specialty bottle. It holds 110 bottles and nearly everything I need. I do have a couple of extra large and shaker containers I store with my baking items in the baking cabinet above, but this has and cake/cookie decorations stored elsewhere.

I'm also a Penzey's person, and my bags for filling go in a plastic shoe box in one of the high cabinets -- out of the way but easy to get to when I need a refill. I emptied the cinnamon for this morning's French toast, so will have to fill that. I also found that this system helps me keep track of what I need to get. If I run out of something, I turn the jar over. It's easy to spot the glass bottoms and know what I need to get. I usually leave those that just need to be filled on the counter until cleanup is done and I get to filling them.

With the jars in alphabetical order, I'm more liekly to get them put away in the right spot when I have a helper. DH has a hard time deciding where different peppers should go (cayenne under C or P?), but if there's an empty spot, he can usually get it back to the right place. The system has lots of benefits. LOL

o
duh

I meant to tell you mine is a 24" upper srawer, so the inside of the drawer is a little mroe than 21x21 and fits 1o x 11 rows. I don't remember the exact measurement. If you need one, let me know.

o

My solution was "more cupboard space," since I wrestled with too many little jars and cannisters crammed in so you can't easily get to the one in the back. Here's the view looking at the stove. Frequently used spices are on the bottom shelf, meat seasonings on the 2nd shelf, and cookie/cake decorating stuff on the top shelf.

This cupboard is to the right of the stove and perpendicular to it (i.e., the counter L's to the right after the stove). Bottom shelf is general spices on little stair-step risers, other shelves are like things grouped together (sweet stuff, salts, etc.). Having things spread out definitely makes a big difference in being able to find stuff.

The best part? I explained my organizational system to my DH, and he follows it!

o

We went with a pullout in this kitchen -- never had one before. I keep frequently used spices on top of the counter on a marble lazy susan next to the cooktop, along with olive oil and a salt and pepper grinder. Others are in this pullout which is in the island, immediately behind the cooktop; I had to make a list to tape to the top so I knew at least which SHELF to look on for things, but it does, at 10" wide, hold a great deal. However, the jars are in many instances three deep, which means moving bottles around to find what you need. I really like the drawer idea, though I'm not sure I could have afforded to give up a drawer near the range since I don't have any uppers flanking it and use the drawers for pots and pans.

I'm lucky to have a separate baking area so I keep all purely baking-related spices over there, in an upper cabinet on a dual-level lazy susan. The spice pullout came with a fourth shelf, but for the life of me, I can't imagine how you could use that unless you had only short jars. You do have to bend down to find things on the lower shelves... I tend to keep the more frequently used items on the top two, but the decision is made primarily based on the height of the bottle.

In the closed position in the island:

o

I do the same thing as lascatx and loves2cook4six in a 24" wide drawer next to my cooktop except my drawer was a smidge too short for those bottles so I use tins and shorter bottles from specialtybottle.com.

I order the bagged spices from Penzey's. The bulk bags are in two big plastic containers in my freezer from which I refill the smaller containers.

I also have a 12" pullout on the other side of the cooktop where I keep oils, vinegars, salt and similar larger containers. Baking powder, baking soda and other baking supplies I keep in a drawer in the baking center area with a deep drawer below for sugars and flours.

o

I couldn't spare a whole drawer just for spices in my tiny kitchen so I added a shelf. Here is a picture of my old kitchen, the new is going to have one slightly wider shelf at the same place.

Here is a link that might be useful: old kitchen (all gone by now)

o

I don't have as many spices as some folks, but I have found that I do like to store them in tupperware containers. I have the "modular mates" spice containers and two carousels. The carousels hold up to 24 containers each, so I can have up to 48 spices on them. Because they spin, everything stays easily accessible at all times. The tupperware seals also keep them fresher longer.

o

Unfortunately for us, our family situation changed and we moved, leaving our remodeled kitchen to a rent-to-own-er! We had a 30 inch upper with the stair-step spice risers and it worked well. DH had them alphabetised.

Here, he was quite frustrated with the poor spice space. We considered buying a plastic, lidded under-the-bed box with the spice drawer inserts in them (stair-stepped, but the bottles lie down). Our pantry area is over the basement stairs and we have a sloping bottom to the pantry closet. We would nail a piece of wooden molding to hold the under-the-bed-box on the sloping area, pulling it out to get to the spices. It was expensive and awkward, so we nixed that.

Idea 2 was to get a kitchen island with a big drawer. I found this one on line (see link below). The drawer across the top would hold the spices upright.

Not having a grand to spend, I kept my eyes open and found an island at Lowes. The side of it has a door that opens. Behind it is a space just deep enough for the jarred spices, three rows of them. The majority of the spices are there, with the ones we still use the most and all of the taller jars and bottles still using the stair-step platform in the 24" upper cab. The rest of the island storage is well-used for other purposes.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Empire Island

o
Depth

lascatx or loves2cookfor6 - how deeps is that drawer? I love this idea!!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!

o
Drawer Height

Sorry...I meant to say how high is that drawer. I see you posted how deep it is. Thanks!

o

The jar lascatx used is a bit over 2.75" high with the lid on. The specialty bottle website says 2.75" but when I got the sample I found it was slightly higher. A 5" tall (drawer face height) would probably be deep enough, but how much interior drawer height you get varies depending on who made your drawers so it would be best to check how your cabinet manufacturer's exterior drawer height maps to interior drawer height.

My spice drawer is 4.5" which lets me use the 2 oz glass jars and the 3 oz tin containers with twist lid. BTW, when I measured, I found that the capacity on all the containers was somewhat larger than the 2, 3 or 4 oz they are listed as holding.

o

Here's mine -- A CD box converted to a 40-spice test tube rack. I recently moved up to a larger size (54-tubes). Large bottles are on the top rack and oils and vinegars on the bottom.

Spice Pull-Out

o

Wow, you guys are GREAT! I never thought I'd get this big of a response, it is very validating to be amongst other spiceaholics. I love the drawer idea! I'm going to put one of those in my plans. Maybe even two, I need to do a bottle count. (If I even dare) And, the tip about turning a bottle upside down when you are out--that's so simple, yet I'd never thought of it! I can implement that one immediately. I guess it will be very similar to my cardboard box-on-a-shelf setup, except that it will be more spacious, much prettier and way more convenient! Thank you SO much for sharing, and thanks to for the link to the specialty bottle place, too.
Cj

o

I copied lascatx's drawer, and love it! I'm using the bigger (wider) 4 oz jars. If you put Cushy Cupboard liner in the drawer, you won't need dividers to make the jars stay put.

o

In our old house, I put a teeny cube fridge behind a lower cabinet door the space under the shelf the fridge sat on held foil, plastic wrap, etc. Although the cabinet door was always shut, that little fridge kept my dozens and dozens of spices, seeds, & yeasts fresher for over 17 years. (It never did die; we sold the house and moved.) All those things do keep much better, fresher and longer, if refrigerated.

In our new house, I'm putting a dorm fridge in the garage, between the freezer & the extra fridge.

o

Another drawer person here. Not as tidy as Lascatx's though.

Oh, and a much wider drawer too.

(Penzy's headquarters is here. I can't help myself...)

o

We're redoing our kitchen and I found a company online that custom made spice drawer inserts according to your drawer width. I was going to post it for you and now can't find the site. Oh no! I planned to use them for myself!

Anyone know of such a company? I remember they charged by the inch. For my large drawer it was going to cost me about $40-50, but after years of rummaging through an unorganized mess, I felt it would be well worth it.

o

I buy Penzey's by mail. I have about 75-80 bottles (regular size and half-size) that I store face front and alphabetically on an expandable 3-tier riser on the bottom shelf of a 39-inch wall cabinet above the counter I "mix and make" on. I "file" the bulk refill bags in a long and narrow Elfa wire basket on a shelf in the pantry. I will have the same arrangement in my new kitchen, except that the cabinet will be only 35 inches wide, so more of the less-frequently used spices will go to the pantry.

o

I also use a drawer similar to some of the photos above but I have small metal containers with magetic bottoms. I slid a very thin piece of metal (from HD ~$11.00) under my Life Liner and the spices don't move (you can see the grey colour of it under the spices). The taller containers are from Lee Valley; they do not come with magnetic bottoms but I took some magnetic tape and cut pieces to fit the bottoms then glued them on. They all have glass lids so I can see quantities at a glance. The smaller ones have lids that twist to holes for shaking and a wide port for pouring.

The drawer is 24" wide, 21" deep; the face front is 6 1/4" high and the inside sides are 4 1/4" high. I have just under 40 spices stored so it's not a huge collection but I also have room for a 7 1/2" wide knife block and utensil storage as well so it could hold a lot more spices if I removed those.

spice drawer.

o

Stupid question:

For those with all the same size/design bottles: So, you buy your spices at the store, then pour them into the your new jar at home? Sounds like a pain... (but I realize that having a drawer full of topsy-turvy all different sized jars is ALSO a pain)

o

We buy spices from Penzeys in bags, at a better price than in the jars. You can freeze any extras.

Having the jars all fit in one place & not falling over all the time is SO nice. The wide jars I ordered from Specialty Bottle are easier to fill and scoop from than conventional spice bottles. I do have some tall bottles (8 oz) that I keep in an upper cabinet for rubs & seasoning things that we prefer to shake out, or for things like bay leaves & cinnamon sticks.

o

For those of us who buy our spices at Penzeys, we only buy the jar once, then we buy our refills packaged in small baggies.

What a great bunch of ideas. Many Hats, where did you get magnetic bottom bottles? LOL, I have visions of mounting a metal plate on the wall... :-) This thread has been so helpful, thank you very much to all who have replied so far!

o

I'm another Penzeys addict that uses a drawer for the spice bottles. I've always wanted a P-touch, so I used that as an excuse so I could label the lids. I keep the spice refills in the freezer.

I find it so easy now to find the spices I need.

o

Gourmet cooking is a hobby of ours, so we had a lot of spices to deal with. With this reno, we went with a spice drawer and two pull-out spice racks (for the oils, tall spice bins, sugar bins, etc.). Our KD got us a great plastic insert for the spice drawer that's one piece and was quickly cut to exactly fit the drawer. I've alphabetized them (for the most part) for easy access and love it.
Here are two pics of my new kitchen:
Photobucket

Oil & Vinegar Pull-out

o

Wow! These spice drawers are amazing. So much easier to find what you want. When emptying my spice cabinet for the demo, I filled 3 paper grocery sacks with jars of spices. Part of me wants to just throw them all out and start over from scratch. Except for the salt and pepper. And garlic salt. And red pepper. And cinnamon. And the file. And the herbs de provence. Oh, heck each one is so small that it justifies its existence.

o

cj47, I bought the little magnetic containers at Staples Business Depot. I'm in Canada--not sure if there are Staples in the US. The display picture showed them with spices in them but I guess Staples was thinking paper clips, etc. and I do use them for that as well.

However, I have seen them at many places including Wal-Mart in the housewares section and at Canadian Tire (a big hardware big box store). They are sold individually and I've also seen them with both a metal mounting strip and a metal counter stand (think standing document holder) for storage of a few spices on or under a counter for example.

I have used a label maker for years but using it for my spice containers gave me an excuse to try the more expensive gold letters on black tape instead of the everyday black or blue on white tape. (Amazing how we let our kitchen renos justify other things......) lol

o

Yeah, you guys are all great, but, my neighbor 'dates' her purchase date on her spices. I think, in real life, that spices last a lot longer than advisors/experts would have us think. You may, MAY, just need to use a greater amount. Also, there is so much emphasis today on 'fresh', and in many instances fresh is way better, rosemary for example, but theoretically, dehydrated, dried, spices are more intense, by design.
I am not going to run to the store every time I think a fresh spice would be better. We just don't care THAT much about food or cooking.
These are great storage ideas, rite here on our very own, GW.

o

I've tried many things -- from racks of test tubes to custom-built spice racks. But as attractive as these displays looked, the size limits and exposure to light required an inordinate amount of time to refill the heavily-used spices and to replace the fading less-used ones. And then I still had to make a place to store the replacements.

Now my hundred-plus collection lives -- whenever possible in their original containers -- inside a lazy-susan corner cabinet. The upper shelf most of them, arranged by height in concentric circles, and then alphabetically. The lower shelf holds the overflow as well as condiments.

It's the first time I've been able to keep just about everything in one place. Not only does this make gathering things for cooking much easier, but now I'm much less likely to buy more of something I already have.

o

Lynne - how deep and how wide is that drawer you're showing with the spices in it?

o

That drawer is 18" wide x 20" deep x 3 1/2" tall (usable space, I mean)

o

Most of my spices are stored in my pantry. Much of the food is grouped according to cooking style/ethnic tastes and the appropriate spices are kept that way, i.e., I have the 5-spice and lemongrass with Asian; adobo with southwestern ingredients, etc. I keep the spice jars in a box that I can just pull out of the pantry all at once in case I decide to get creative. My baking spices are also with the baking supplies, etc.

o

LynnInNewMexico: all my top drawers by my cooktop are 3.25" - do you think what you have would work with that?

I decided this just wasn't working out:

But I have space here if I move the baking mats elsewhere:

(originally my hood was supposed to come with an integrated spice rack but they had some difficulty getting that part and now I am thinking that is too high for spices anyway)

o

Just went and measured and that should work fine for you. BTW, it looks like we have the same knife blocks. Is yours from Williams-Sonoma, too?

o

Here's ours:

spice drawer.jpg

I keep my baking powder and soda, extracts, cream of tartar...in the cab above, with the flour, sugar, salts, and other similar things.

o

I must not cook enough, because if I had that spice collection half or more would go stale before I finished using them.

o

in one of my earlier kitchens i stored spices in test tubes with rubber stoppers and clipped them into a wall-mounted rack that was meant to hold rubber stamps. i had rows and rows of these and the test tubes sat in kind of a staggered pattern which looked really cool with all the various colored spices.

the downside was that the tubes, even the jumbo ones, didn't hold all that much and i had to have backups in bags somewhere and always be refilling them.

o

lynninnewmexico and cat_mom -- where did you find the spice organizer that you are using in your drawer? I have been trying to figure out where to store spices when my new kitchen is finished and a drawer might be the solution.

In this house, my spices are in a high cupboard over the bar sink and I usually have to stand on a chair to find the spice container that I'm looking for. I'm really trying to avoid that situation in the new house.

o

yeah, i'd like to know where many_hats got those metal spice jars with the clear lids and magnets on the back.

i'm having a brainstorm. might be really cool to have one of those pull-outs with the metal pegboard in an upper and use those magnetic spice jars in that.

o

Ours was supposed to be a 4-tier wooden insert, made by our cab manufacturer, but for some reason we were sent the 3-tier Rev-a-Shelf model instead.

Our very talented and clever cab installer, took the RAS model back to his home, added a 4th tier in the back (using a maple shelf that he had that was the same thickness as the spice insert's tiers), and voila! You can't even tell the difference (okay, maybe a slight diff in wood color/grain, but that's it!).

I LOVE my spice drawer! I had a tiered lucite spice organizer from BB&B in an upper cab in my old kitchen (looked like a mini lucite staircase). Every time I took a spice bottle down from that thing, I prayed that other bottles wouldn't come tumbling down on my head, or land in my mixing bowl, which invariably they did. So glad to be rid of that!

o
magnet spice jars

well, duh! just googled "magnetic spice jars" and found it pretty easily. made by soho.

but now i'm thinking that pull-out pegboard is probably stainless and the magnets won't stick. arrrgh.

o

LOL chipshot, when they get old they still work - you just gotta add more (I'm only partially kidding).

I too MUST find something like LynnInNewMexico and Cat_Mom so bellsrus lets make a deal - whomever finds it puts it up here on this thread where they got it.

o

I did that already, mm :-)

Just to help out though, I attached the link below to the page on the Rev a Shelf site showing the two sizes available. Don't forget, it comes with 3 tiers (the back section is flat) but our installer added a 4th tier for us.

Here is a link that might be useful: spice drawer insert

o

*bump* for those who wanted the insert info.

o

Cat_mom - thanks for the link. How did you fit 4? The specifications on the website show the 3 as being 16 or 22 x 19.75. My drawers are 19.75 from front to back. Do you have the 22" wide version?

LynnInNewMexico do you know where yours is from? I love the Rev-a-shelf one cat_mom sent becuase its maple, which is what my drawers are, but its 16 or 22... I've got an 18.25 space. Not that 2.25" is a huge deal but it just looks better without having an empty strip 2.25" wide. :) My knife block is from sir la table (a kitchen store near where I work).

o

Our drawer is just under 22" wide (interior measurement), so our cab installer probably cut it down along the side by 1/8" or so (which, if I remember, is pretty typical and/or expected). So, you could get the 22" wide version, and cut it down to 18.25" and it would fit beautifully. I'm guessing you'd use a table saw?

The 19.75" depth is fine. The back section, behind the 3rd tier is just a flat piece of wood (part of the bottom of the whole unit that happens to stick out past that back of the 3rd tier). The extra/4th tier is attached right over that piece that jutted out, so it's still within the footprint of the whole insert. The only concern was the height of the 4th tier, e.g., was the height/angle such that spice bottles would still clear the top of the drawer, and the answer was YES!

o

Awesome... I was wondering about cutting it down, so is is a solid peice of wood then? If it was a "box" so to speak cutting off one side of the box would ruin its integrity.

o

The sides of the tiers are open. The tiers themselves are attached to one full piece of wood comprising the bottom or base of the insert. I attached below the link to the pdf file from the Rev-a-shelf site explaining how you can cut down/trim the insert to fit.

I am very happy with ours (even though one was supposed to be made to our specifications by the cab manufacturer, and not have received the RAS one--luckily for them and us our installer was able to retrofit the one sent with that 4th tier). I think you'll like it, too!

Here is a link that might be useful: pdf file

o

Mine's simple - 2 double-tier lazy susans in a corner unit near the stove. The shelf above that is for refill bags and stuff I don't use often. The cab next to this houses oils and vinegars.

I'm not methodical enough to re-fill everything into uniform bottles - those of you who do - I envy you!

Note the Penzeys stuff - I buy the small sizes of most spices, so they don't get old. I only buy the full size or large sizes of the ones I use a lot.

o

Well cat_mom, I looked at drawer spice racks over the weekend at the kitchen stores and "organization" stores over the weekend and either they were ugly cheap plastic or "adjustable" wood, whic wastes space and doesn't look right so I ordered the 22" rev-a-shelf and will cut it down to size. Should be here on friday!

o

Let me know how that works for you mm! You realize that I'll be worried that I steered you wrong 'til you tell me it worked out A-OK! Did you make sure to measure your cab interior height to make sure it would fit/bottles would clear the cab opening?

I am very excited that I might have helped you pick out something for your way cool kitchen (even if it's just a little old spice drawer insert!)!!! :-)

o
RE2: How do you store a LARGE collection of spices?

Its very hard to tell if it will fit height-wise. All the in drawer spice racks that I saw over the weekend have similar dimensions and my drawer is a common height (though it has undermount for the glides so maybe that makes it more shallow). I'll just have to try BEFORE I cut it so I can return if needed. I found it online for something like $45 at a cabinet supply place I've ordered from before that has great service.

o
RE: How do you store a LARGE collection of spices??

I know our drawer was too shallow for the silver/plastic one from Hafele (or Rev-a-shelf?), bu the wood one we got was perfect (at least after the cab installer added the extra tier--I wanted that last row of bottles to be angled, not flat on the bootm of the drawer).

o

I bought a maple drawer insert from WS for the spice drawer. I have a separate baking drawer where I use a regular drawer organizer.

Here is a link that might be useful: WS

o

I can't believe it... I am all excited and can't wait to get home and rip into the box sitting on my porch with the spice drawer insert like cat_moms (sadly still 6 more hrs till I am off work). If you'd told me a year ago that I would be getting excited over a peice of wood to hold some spices I would think you were crazy :)

o

You know the drill mm--post pics when it's in!!

PS I'm all excited for you, too! Hope it works out as well for you as mine does for me!!!

o

Results for cat_mom:

Sorry... no pics: My DW is on a business trip in Germany and took the camera with her. A week from now I will be able to provide pics

Good: Very nice peice! I am sold on rev-a-shelf now their quality is excellent. 2/3 of my spices will fit. Basically the same brands as the ones in your pics. Also I bought some jars at the organization store - they fit easily.

Bad: My favorite brand of spices the jar just barely doesn't fit (in my pic its the glass ones with the blue top, I think in the pic its cinnamon, cloves and allspice). I don't have a tablesaw and its too nice for me to risk using the skilsaw. I am asking around at work and also emailed my GC seeing if he could do me a favor and cut it.

o

Our KD talked me out of the spice drawer and instead we have a "spice cabinet" which has a plexiglas set of shelves on the back of the cabinet door. The wood shelves inside the cabinet are inset to allow room for the door shelves. We moved into our new kitchen over the holidays and this is my favorite cabinet. It's to the right of the stove so my frequently used spices are pretty much at eye level. I'm 5'7" so a shorter person might not like an upper cabinet. I put my seldom used baking items like vanilla on the top shelf. Still within reach if I stretch. The interior shelves can hold small bottles like unopened sauces. I use the top inside shelf for packages of chicken coating mix, etc. I also have a spice/herb rotating rack on the counter but this needs to be re-filled. This holds my herbs and some spices and a few homemade blends. And ... then I have a basket that holds dip packets and other seldom used items that slide into a lower shelf.
Our dish cabinet at the end goes counter top to ceiling. The bottom is a drawer which I've put placemats in but maybe additional room for spices would be nice. I have too many different size bottles and jars. For sentimental reasons I still refill an old tumeric can and some others from my long ago newlywed days. There's enough space in front of the drawer/dish cabinet to set dishes but generally I don't use this part of the counter. Things like vinegars, oils go into a corner base lazy susan arranged by specialty. On the spice cabinet door I have my favorite spices arranged by type of cooking i.e. southwest, asian. Best wishes on your kitchen.

o

Okay, wait, mm, the wheels are turning here. I'm guessing the blue topped bottles are just fatter than the others, they certainly don't look taller. Now, how high is your drawer (inside)? I know our drawer isn't particularly tall (let me know if that measurement isn't posted above and I'll re-measure it). We can fit even the large McCormick bottles (on that extra/added 4th tier so their height doesn't interfere with bottles on a tier above)--I can't imagine that those blue topped bottles are fatter than those. Would adding another tier so your blue topped bottles are in the back help at all with fit?

o
RE: How do you store a LARGE collection of spices??

Okay, wait, mm, the wheels are turning here. I'm guessing the blue topped bottles are just fatter than the others, they certainly don't look taller. Now, how high is your drawer (inside)? I know our drawer isn't particularly tall (let me know if that measurement isn't posted above and I'll re-measure it). We can fit even the large McCormick bottles (on that extra/added 4th tier so their height doesn't interfere with bottles on a tier above)--I can't imagine that those blue topped bottles are fatter than those. Would adding another tier so your blue topped bottles are in the back help at all with fit?

o

Yeah they are slightly shorter than the McCormick ones but fatter, many of the spices have a narrower top than the body of the jar but not this particular brand. Its not a huge deal becuase I can leave the blue topped ones in that cupboard or transfer them to the bottles I bought. If they had a smaller top like the spice island ones they would fit. Can't wait to get it cut and try it for real!! (I was just measuring last night becuase the shelf is actually 1/16 of an inch too deep as well so it wouln't quite fit in all the way for a real test).

o

Unless your drawer is shallower than ours, the bottles should fit (I know we couldn't get a different one we'd considered because it required a drawer with a taller interior height). The large McCormick bottles we have (the oregano bottle and the peppercorn bottle in the back of the drawer) have a much wider diameter cap (2 1/16") and body compared to the normal size bottles, and the total length of those larger bottles is 5 1/4" long. Maybe the fact that you couldn't fit the insert in all the way caused the bottles to not fit.

FWIW, our drawer itself is 3 3/4" high (inside, and there's about another 1/4" clearance above that).

o
RE2: How do you store a LARGE collection of spices?

ahhh our drawer is quite a bit shallower than that - and being the top drawer there are cross beams on top holding the cabinet square and glued to the granite - otherwise we would have a lot more space. I only have 3.25" of available clearance from bottom to the wood under the granite in that drawer. If I had only 1/8" more I could fit those bottles. We shall see how well it works once I actually have it in. I am certain it will work with the bottles I bought so I may end up transfering a lot to new bottles.

o

I wonder if someone with the right saw and the talent(!) could "rip" down the base to make it a thinner piece of wood and you could gain that 1/8".....

o

Not as tidy as Lovestocookforsix but same concept. This is a 26.5" wide cabinet, drawer box is just over 24" wide and 4" tall with height clearance just over 5". There are about 75 jars there at the front and the bin at the back of the drawer holds bulk backups. Avery paper labels kept falling off or disintegrating; these ones on the lids from onlinelabels.com (OL325WX) are far sturdier and holding up nicely.
Photobucket

Standing them up and labeling the lids let me fit more in there. Works better for me than my previous accordian insert that angled the jars. That held about 50 with no bin room at the back. And it was hard to access the last row as these aren't full extension drawers.
spice drawer insert

Either way can work very well. Mysterymachine, you get yours in yet?

o

Nope, not installed yet. My GC's employee took it home with him so he could get a really nice cut. I will be using a combination of where they are now for the tall/big stuff plus this new drawer - but if that still isn't enough room I will have to find some short fat jars and put them like celtic/many_hats/loves2cook46- I think I saw some like many_hats which were short enough - but they were something like $5.00 per jar (with no spices) so I am hoping this works out.

I'll post a picture once I get in insert in.

o

If you need shorter jars, look at specialtybottle.com

All the jars in that photo at the top of this thread came from there. They have jars and tins, reasonably priced, order as many as you need -- 1, 100 or a 1000, and each product description gives you dimensions (the jars do not include the lid, so you need to allow a little bit for that). It was well worth ordering the jars, labelling them all and transferring the spices.

o

mm--I got some bottles at BB&B (plain glass w/white plastic lids) to store some spices that came in cellophane bags. They fit just fine in the drawer. They had some similar ones with metal (SS?) lids in a store in NJ called Chef Central. I think they were the same size as the BB&B ones.

Let us know how you make out!

o

Mine are divided into baking spices and cooking spices/herbs.

The baking stuff (just 8 jars plus some vanilla beans and extracts) goes in a 6"x8" lightweight plastic bin I can lift down from the cab over my baking area.

The cooking stuff is in a pullout next to the range that has smaller bins. The jars are arranged alphabetically. And each bin is labeled with the name of the first and last jar in it. The labels on the shelves can be read from my standing position at the range.

I keep salt and pepper mills, a kosher salt cellar and a crock with dried parsley on the hood directly over the cooktop 'cause they're in constant use.

Jars in their baskets on the pullout shelves.
Identifying them from a cooking vantage point.
Contents of one basket
Wolfie's got a new buddy.

Those little bins were CD storage I got on sale at Targets for under $4 each. They each hold 9 jars for potential storage for 54 jars plus the larger items.

o

BTW, when freshness and using spices up in a reasonable amount of time is an issue there are many spice blends you can do yourself so you don't have to store every possible combination. Make as much or as little as you want. Most of these recipes fill a 4oz. spice jar.

Mixing them up is a wonderful sensory experience.

Here are a few that I do myself:

Apple Pie Blend
cup (or 24 parts) cinnamon
1 tablespoon (or 6 parts) allspice
2 teaspoon (or 4 parts) nutmeg
teaspoon (or 1 part) cardamom, optional

Pumpkin Pie Blend
cup (or 24 parts) cinnamon
2 tablespoon (or 12 parts) ginger
2 teaspoon (or 4 parts) ground cloves
1 teaspoon (or 2 parts) nutmeg
teaspoon (or 1 part) cardamom, optional

Curry Blend
1 tablespoon (or 1 part) cayenne
cup (or 8 parts) granulated garlic
cup (or 12 parts) paprika
cup (or 4 parts) turmeric
1 cup (or 24 parts) curry powder

Mexican Rub for Pork
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon cumin
teaspoon (or 8 parts) epizote
teaspoon (or 8 parts) kosher salt
teaspoon (or 4 parts) freshly ground black pepper
teaspoon (or 4 parts) ground cloves
⅛ teaspoon (or 2 parts) oregano
1 pinch (or 1 part) cinnamon

Emeril's "Essence"
2 tablespoon paprika
2 tablespoon (or 2 parts) salt
2 tablespoon (or 2 parts) garlic powder
1 tablespoon (or 1 part) black pepper
1 tablespoon (or 1 part) onion powder
1 tablespoon (or 1 part) cayenne
1 tablespoon (or 1 part) dried oregano
1 tablespoon (or 1 part) dried thyme

Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.

o

Thanks for the spice mixtures! It looks like those "baskets" you used are standard size for CDs? If so there are TONS of different style/color etc (fabric, leather, wood, metal etc etc) baskets that size so if you have the right size pullout to hold those boxes you have a lot of options decoratively.

o

Yes, they were intended for storing CDs.

o

cat_mom - as promised:

It worked out great. Thanks for recommending the rev-a-shelf - that solid maple sure looks nice in the maple drawers. I'm going to tell the contractor to let the people open the drawers during the remodel tour.

I have 7 or 8 bottles that didn't fit becuase they were too big or I ran out of room in the drawer so they are just in the spot above the microwave where I had the spices before. As I rebuy spices I will try to get more of that brand with the black lids in the center row as they fit just perfectly and look good too.

o

Look how nice!!!! I am so glad it worked out for you. Our installer and we were a little ticked off when we saw the rev-a-shelf box containing our insert (since the cab manuf was supposed to be making one "custom" for us). We were even more annoyed because the insert had 3 tiers and we'd specified 4 tiers (our installer and KD even had it that way in their drawings!). Luckily our installer is handy and added the tier himself using a pretty much matching piece of maple shelving, and it looks like it came that way (where you have your measuring cups is where our 4th tier sits). The insert really does look nice in the drawer and is solid and well made.

Your nicely organized drawer looks terrific!!! Glad I could help!

o

Cupboard in wall:
Photobucket

CloseUp:
Photobucket

o

hate for a good thread to die.

BUMP

o

I have a 36 by 6 inch cabinet on one side of my island.

Photobucket

o

Mysterymachine-where did you find your knife holder in your spice drawer?

o

I got it at sur la table... there is another company that makes the EXACT same one but it was about 1.5x the price (sur la table might even just buy them and rebrand as they were identical).

o

This is so neat to see what everyone is doing with spices. I have always keep my spices on the freezer door so they would stay fresh. I've never really thought about putting them anywhere else. How long do you keep them before you decide that they have lost their spice? Have I just taken up space in my freezer that I could have used for something else? You have me thinking.

o

Kristi - What a wonderful use of otherwise wasted space. I'd love to have a 'spice pantry'.

o

bump - This is such a great thread. I keep going back to it for ideas!

o

I'm so glad this thread got bumped up because just yesterday my KD was suggesting that I move my spices from a drawer to the inside of the doors on two cabinets on either side of the cooktop...the location is ok but I'm having a hard time knowing how many spices would actually fit...and whether it would be as easy as the drawer has been. Does anyone else have this arrangement?

o

WOW, I am so impressed! Terrific ideas!

o

Gailrolfe...does that mean you will have to have shallower shelves to accommodate the spices on the doors? If your cabinets are the standard 12" deep, that would take quite a bit of space away from them....just a thought.

(If it does mean shallower shelves, how are they supported since the supports are usually all the way in the front of the cabinet? Will you be able to switch to standard depth shelves in the future if you need them?)

I'm not an expert, I was just wondering...

o

Buehl, that's a good question and one I think I better follow up on! The cabinets are actually 15" deep so maybe that's part of the equation but I think I need to get a few more specifics....I did find a picture in the FKB of a spice rack on the inside of a cabinet and I kind of like the look of it...I was imagining some wire racks of something that probably wouldn't hold so much but this seems to utilize the door space pretty well. I included a link to the picture here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spice Rack

o

I have a built-in spice cabinet next to my wall ovens and above my microwave. It has a hinged inner storage rack that can hold several spice cans/bottles and has storage for larger items in both the left and right sides of the cabinet. I find it very handy.

Spice cabinet with hinged inner shelf pushed to the right
SPICE CABINET

Hinged inner shelf pushed to the left
SPICE CABINET INTERIOR SHELF

o

Great pictures. It looks like you get alot of spices without using alot of space.

o

90 posts so far and you all are missing what is IMO the best answer: Outside in the herb garden! (I also have 2 small pantry shelves devoted to what can't be grown.)

o

Spice Rack

My DH designed and built this for me and attached it to the back of one of my pantry doors. I absolutely love it. Everything is alphabetized, at eye level and easy to find. He carefully chose the spacing and dowel heights so that both short and tall jars would sit there just fine. Also, it freed up quite a bit of space on the pantry shelves. He got tired of dinner being delayed because I was hunting for the spices so he decided to organize me.

Even though my pantry is not a walk-in, it is wide with two doors that open out. If we were going to stay in this house, I would have him build me another one to match since there is spillover of the less used blends that are still on the shelves. I really think I'll skip over the pre-made solutions for the new kitchen and have him replicate this.

Jo Ann

o

Oooh, these are great fun. We went with both a drawer insert (with the angled pieces) and a rack on the inside of the upper cabinet immediately above. The KD clearly thought I was crazy, but it works perfectly -- the most frequently used ones go in the drawer, but the others are still easy to reach. My one complaint is that the penzey's bottles are just slightly too big for the drawer.

Drawer: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elizabethlb/2485396330/in/set-72157604435186307/

Rack:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elizabethlb/2485396360/in/set-72157604435186307/

o

I have the door attachment and chose to have it to the right of the range. I really like it a lot. I also love Penzey's spices. When you buy a combo pack from them, the box comes stuffed with cinnamon sticks, bay leaves and hazelnuts (which I store away in airtight containers and consider a nice bonus!).

My friend who doesn't cook as much as me and thus doesn't have as many spices, but has an absolutely gorgeous and very unique kitchen has the Dean and Deluca test tubes in a very attractive holder on her countertop. I love the look but it wouldn't work in my kitchen.

Photobucket

o

bump

o

bump

o

How about a large collection of decorating sprinkles? :-D

Every shape & color imaginable!

o

Great thread - so many terrific ideas. I have so many spices - some that I never use. Haven't started my demo yet, but when I'm packing up I'm going to get rid of all the old spices that have been accumulating (never dated any of them) - and buy new only as I need them. That should help my storage space!

o

I love looking at this thread. Not only does it inspire me to stay organized but it inspires me to cook something with loads of spices! Thought I'd bump this for others to see.....

o

I am an absolute devotee' of Penzey's. Having exactly the spice I want is critical to my cooking. Having packed them all up for my kitchen remodel, I would guess I have 60+ jars.

I have them in nearly identical 1/2 oz glass jars from Penzeys. They occupy two 12", double-level lazy suzans in my large upper cabinets, adjacent to the oven. They are arranged alphabetically, A-H in one lazy susan and I-Z in the other. A-D on the top left, D-H on the bottom left, I-P on the top right, R-Z on the bottom right. Then I have another plastic lazy susan in the next cabinet with my small pepper grinders, and small extracts, also arranged alphabetically.

I can always find what I need using this system. Works like a charm for me.

o

Oh, it's so funny that this thread should get bumped today. I'm finally, finally, finally packing up MY spices for the remodel! I'm doing drawers, because the cardboard boxes that I've been using all these years work well for me. Thanks to Lascatz, I know how big the drawer needs to be. I'm going to get two drawers; I know myself too well to limit myself to one. :-)

Demo is Thursday!

Cj

o

"90 posts so far and you all are missing what is IMO the best answer: Outside in the herb garden! (I also have 2 small pantry shelves devoted to what can't be grown.)"

Bluekit -- I have one of those two. It has been running down since Ike and with an especially hard summer and winter last year, I started over on everything but the bay laurel and one mint. I also put in a butterfly/humingbird garden beside it so I can watch while standing at the sink window. I am so happy to have it back as it was intended to be (since we bought the house anyway -- I was not satisfied with a blank fence view).

Cj, good luck with your remodel. I thought my one large drawer was a lot, but it's better to have one drawer too many than one too few. You will always be able to find a use for another drawer if you find you don't need it. For me, it is probably better that I contain myself. I do have some larger rub jars, extracts, sprinkles, baking soda and baking powder -- that kind of stuff in the cabinet above the spice drawer. If I didn't have that, I would have to have a second drawer.

Hope you enjoy the drawer(s). I had something similar to drjoann's, but it was the full height of the door. When we took out the walk-in pantry, I had to find another solution or I was sunk. The pullouts either side of the cooktop took up too much precious space -- the drawer was the right solution for us and I have loved it.

o

spice storage

Full height pull out with room for expansion in between the top shelves. Extra spices for re-filling are kept on the top most shelf.

o

I'm short so I have my frequently used spices on the bottom shelf of the wall cabinet.
Then the 2nd shelf I have this:

I love it; it holds about 20+ spices.
Amanda

o

bumping one of my favorite threads for more great ideas . . .

o

I was wondering where the spice rack came from in the photo from mamadadapaige?

o

Kristen - I think that is Rev-a-shelf

You can also get wire racks that screw onto the door, is your doors are slab doors.

My collection is all in one cabinet, on spinners, roughly sorted by their usual use, in whatever mongrel jar I have that can hold it. I buy baggies from the ethnic stores instead of 3x jars of the name brands.

o

Coming full circle here--when I posted this original query, I was just starting to seriously plan our remodel, with special attention to my kitchen and what kind of system I'd use to store my ridiculously large spice collection. Now, nearly three years later, we are winding down on the work, and I thought I'd post pics of my new spice drawers, fully loaded. I'm pleased with the way they're working for me. It's so NICE to be able to find whatever I need quickly--no unloading boxes from the cabinet to get the boxes that lurk behind!

So, just for grins, let's look at the old spice storage, in the old cabinets.

Spice Storage

And the new storage, in the new cabs--that don't have hardware yet.

Photobucket

Top Drawer
Photobucket

Middle Drawer
Photobucket

Bottom Drawer
Photobucket

Thanks to everyone that posted their storage solutions--it was fun to see how you all handle it. And it was validating to see that I'm not the only Penzey's addict out there. :-)

Cj

o
Full Circle: How do you store a LARGE collection of spices?

Hm,I tried this post earlier but didn't see it come up on the forum, so I'm trying again. Apologies if it ends up to be a double posting!

About 3 years ago, I posted a question asking you all for suggestions on storing a large collection of herbs and spices. Of course, you responded with tons of really great suggestions. Now, with our remodel winding down, I thought I'd post some pictures of my new spice drawers--fully loaded. :-)

Just for grins, let's look at the BEFORE pic of my spice storage:

Spice Storage

And the new storage, where everything is easily accessible and easily found:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

A very belated thanks to all who responded to that original post. It was validating to see how many of you are also spice addicts, in my particular case, a Penzey's addict. And it was also very interesting to see the many ways that you deal with the resulting number of bottles and bags.

Happy cooking to all,
Cj

o

bumping for fun

o

OOPS, I somehow deleted the picture of the new spice drawer...

Photobucket

o

bump

o

Cool that there are so many Penzy's fans. Their headquarters is right down the road from me. Love going there.... I should apply to work there...

o

And now for something completely different... (dating myself again!)

Photobucket

Good bump - useful information!

o

We got some square sided glass jars and put the stuff we use all the time in a drawer in the prep area. The rest of the spices are stored on our pantry shelves.

We always date the spices when we get them. In recent years we've cut back some on how many different ones we buy because there are only so many we use in a year or two.

o

LOL, good memories with this thread! Thanks for bumping, Westsider! Even now, I look at pics of the old kitchen and shudder a little....

Celticmoon, I've often thought of getting a job at Penzey's as well, but I don't dare. It'd be like trying to work at a bookstore--or even worse, Half Price Books! LOL.... too much temptation! But think of the fun it would be. :-)

Cj

o

I got strips of magnetic material (with glue backing) from Custom Magnetic Spice Racks (online place, but don't have the link handy), and bought small square tins from another online supplier. [Get the ones with solid metal lids; clear ones let in more air, and don't stand up to the more corrosive ground spices.]

The strips and tins are on the inside of the pantry doors, at eye level. It's a delight to be able to easily find anything I need, they take up very little room, and they're stored away from light and heat. There are about sixty containers in all. They're in more or less alphabetical order, labeled using pieces of masking tape and a sharpie. If I cared more about how they look, I could always print out labels.

Bulk spices are in a container in the freezer, to refill the pantry tins as needed.

This works well for me because I'm an assemble-ingredients-first kind of cook. But even on the rare occasions when I decide at the stovetop stage that something else is needed, the pantry is just a few steps away, and the accessible layout makes it super-quick to locate and retrieve the right container.

o

Like this.

And this.

We love our recessed cabs.

o

My husband made this for me. I also have an entire drawer full of Penzey's jars and bags :) (This is in the old kitchen before remodel, but the spice rack still hangs in the same spot.

o

Here's mine for now. Still tweaking where stuff lives in the new kitchen.

o

Nicole6, what did you use to label your spice containers and do they stay on well?

o

I have a little Dymo label maker and so far the labels seems to stay on fine. I've labeled lots of other things with it over the years and they've held up good as well.

o

Since I owe my spice drawer to this thread, I thought I'd post my spices. Out of view in the very back are fancy smoked paprika and Hungarian paprika (purchased in Budapest) in their decorative tins. I now have more spice tins than what's shown here so I have a few stacked on top of these at the back of the drawer. Any overflow is in the freezer.

Spice drawer awaiting new labels

o

I love my spice cabinet, but it's a little specialized and may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Here's a shot from the side which has open shelves in it. The spice cabinet is at 90-degrees to the shelving:

Photobucket

Here's the inside of the cabinet taken from when I was still moving back in:

Photobucket

Things are a bit more crowded in there now. But it's still functional.

So the area to the left is a full cabinet's depth and the area to the right is a single ledge's worth of space for frequently-used spices.

As an amazing coincidence, the width of the deep left part is *exactly* the distance across of two 16oz spice containers from the Indian store - plastic canisters. So I can fit four of those on each of the top two shelves. Above the stove are hard-to-reach cabinets that store overflow empty glass bottles. I need a stool to get up there so that doesn't happen too much. Empties mostly hang out on my counter and socialize.

The deep shelves on the left can, it must be admitted, be a pain for locating something quickly. But because all my jars are different, I do know the contents by the jar's shape, which helps. But truthfully, I haven't yet implemented a good organizing scheme by shelf or even location (R v. L) of the shelf. When I'm cooking I'm usually flying around, grabbing stuff and tossing it back in; a regular location just hasn't emerged yet for any of it, really.

Still, I love that it's all together in one place at least. And wow! - does that cabinet smell good when opened. The one on the other side of the range holds coffees and teas and it's wonderful when opened too (yes, I know, not optimal placement for several reasons).

Sweeby, my sil stores spices the same way as you - in test-tubes and test-tube racks. (Is Sweeby still here?)

o

Aliris, thank you. After these impeccably organized systems, I needed that. To this day my spices have not found their regular places in my drawers, either. I do drop them back in, but then they just sit there (so the issue is not with shelves versus drawers). :)

Long, long ago I got excited about buying containers, labeling, etc., but then leftovers had to be stored, the containers refilled, new ones that matched acquired for new spices, and that was a quick end to that. Not to mention my most-used versus alphabetizing quandary; why I couldn't come to terms with thyme in the back row is something I don't even care to know. Some kind of warring compulsion thing?

Fortunately for me, I do also enjoy the look of various spice containers from all over. These days they sit in the two top 18" drawers by my stove, which're both like little treasure chests.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here