Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ardcp

kemper echo vs medallion silverline

ardcp
10 years ago

ok experts, the exact same design, the exact same cost, both KD very responsive and helpful. cherry wood in standard mid tone stain; wwyd?
medallion of course has standard soft close doors and 1/2" particle board construction w/dovetail drawers in the lancaster door with 5pc drawer front(upgrade from slab)
kemper echo seems to have been upgraded by KD because she is saying 1/2" plywood sides, soft close drawers (i know that is an upgrade) not sure which door style,i just said shaker style.
they are both coming in at $8200.
the KM kd never got back to me but lowes quoted the sonata door at the same cost or thereabouts.
is the plywood sides a better deal? i know that all the experts say particle board is fine but what if they cost the same?

Comments (3)

• kcorn
    10 years ago

I am not an expert by any means, but I did look at both of these lines. I got to know Kemper because it's part of the MasterBrand company which sells Omega / Dynasty. I originally went in to look at Omega and Dynasty and ended up pricing out Kemper since it fell closer to my price point. When I compared these two lines - they seemed very similar in quality and cost. It seems you have found the same. The only difference I noted, was it seemed the Kemper line had a slightly better finish quality than Medallion. However, that could have been the particular stains I was comparing. Kemper has been high on my list and if you can get it with plywood construction for the same price, I would say go for that one.

The only caution I would give you is to make sure you are pricing out a similar door style in each brand. I made that mistake initially. Both Kemper and Medallion offer multiple types of shaker doors and they vary in price due to the size of the rail around the door and whether you have a veneer center panel or solid wood.

Another thing to consider - Thomasville, which is sold at Home Depot is the same as Kemper. It's branded specifically for Home Depot, but has the same door styles (with different names), finishes, etc. and I have read they may even be manufactured in the same building (not 100% sure of that, though). Thomasville offers full extension, soft close drawers and soft close doors as a standard - not an upgrade. Plus, with the HD pricing right now and other Thomasville incentives, the price beat Kemper when I was comparing quotes just last week. I wasn't keen on working with HD, but it would be a negotiating point for the Kemper KD to consider.

FWIW - We haven't finalized our decision yet, but it looks like we may go custom and get all plywood construction and lots of extras for less than what we had seen in other lines with comparable features. If you haven't looked at local custom shops, that might be something else to consider.

• kcorn
    10 years ago

Sorry for a second post, but since I am in the thick of cabinetry decisions, too, I thought I should have given you the door styles I was comparing between Kemper and Thomasville (again, same door styles but different names). They are also shaker style.

Kemper - Northrope = Thomasville - Eden
    Kemper - Whitman = Thomasville - Cottage

Good luck!!!

• ardcp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

spartans99-thanks for all your input! good point about the thomasville and i will check that out. we saw the medallion door but the only style we liked in the silverline was the lancaster. unfortunately it was painted white so i couldn't get a feel for the stained finish so its good to know you liked the kemper better.
    i wish you luck in your cabinet search as it is a pretty time consuming and difficult process! i find myself just wanting to be done with the whole thing:)