Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aggiemomma2boys

IKEA Farmhouse Sink- Pics & Opinions please!

aggiemomma2boys
15 years ago

Ok, REALLY want a Farmhouse Apron-front sink for my brand new kitchen. But I have a $300 sink allowance. After reading this board I found the IKEA sink for $313, which is very doable for my price range. BUT...I'm worried about the quality. I've never been to an IKEA store or owned any of their products...the closet store is over an hour away.

If you have an IKEA farmhouse sink...Do you love it? Would you buy it again if you had it to do over? How does the quality and finish hold up?

PLEASE give me your opinions and pictures!! THANKS!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (51)

• peterf
    15 years ago

It is very difficult to say what the quality is. Is it porcelain coated cast iron...if it is, it probably is pretty decent quality. If steel, plastic, fiberglass, or some sort of composite, i would keep looking.

• sw_in_austin
    15 years ago

I would suggest you go to ikeafans.com and ask the same question. It's a site, with no connection to IKEA, that is dedicated to those using and modifying IKEA products and the kitchen forums are especially active. You'll get a lot of answers and opinions there, I think.

That said, I think the sinks look good, solid and well made (I installed an IKEA kitchen, though I did not use an IKEA sink, last year). I've heard good things about their bathroom sinks too (which are remarkably inexpensive).

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

It is fireclay.

• marthavila
    15 years ago

I have an Ikea Domsjo single bowl sink in my 2nd/rental kitchen and a Rohl Shaw's original in my main kitchen. I love them both! On one level, I love my Ikea even more because not only is it a farmhouse sink that does the same job of a Rohl, but also, and unlike the Rohl, it's been so forgiving budget-wise! I apologize that I don't have a photo for you at this time, but I highly recommend it!

• sautesmom Sacramento
    15 years ago

I know Ikea's stainless sinks are DESIGNED for you to make your own holes, so I would imagine their clay sinks would at least be forgiving of it. I would say call an Ikea store and talk to the kitchen department, and ask them.

Carla in Sac

• teresacooks
    15 years ago

I asked in the kitchen dept. and the woman was unaware of the depressions on the underside of the sink and didn't recommend cutting them. . .

• donka
    15 years ago

I don't know if drilling a hole is a 'good' idea, but it's doable :) I was, coincidentally enough, just researching this very thing. The single hole drives me crazy too...

aggiemomma2boys - I found lots of info on this sink and most of it has been positive so far. One owner managed to chip the edge of the sink after dropping something on it, but other than that the reviews seem to be pretty positive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adding holes to the Domsjo sink

• justnotmartha
    15 years ago

We drilled an additional hole into an IKEA bath sink a couple years ago and it worked great! Put painters tape down and drill over it to prevent nicks and splintering, and buy a bit that is just the size you need. Go slow and you'll be set.

• teresacooks
    15 years ago

wow, sounds good. at least a few people have done this on Ikea fans

• good42n
    15 years ago

I have the single Domsjo, and love it. If you get the single, it has punch outs so that you can add holes. I added one for the airgap, and it was very easy (once I got the nerve up).

• bmorepanic
    15 years ago

The people next door have a Domsjo and like it. They also drilled out two extra holes and it looks great - after two years.

• artielange
    15 years ago

I love the Domsjo sink and I bought one for the house that we are building. Unfortunately through many design changed and choices it is not going to work out and instead I am using a stainless farm sink.

• reedrune
    15 years ago

I am thinking of buying the single domsjo sink and my granite guy got me all nervous last week - he said that they yellowed and cracked over time. So I asked at Ikeafans and was very, very placated by the responses. Lots of folks have had for a while and love.

• teresacooks
    15 years ago

Can someone tell me how many punchouts are under there? The lady at Ikea didn't even know they were there and we could only feel the one closest to the faucet hole with out hands (too close for a spray really)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

The single has two extra punchouts, I think. The double doesn't have them, but in any case, you can carefully drill your own where you want them.

• sassafras_lane
    12 years ago

I have had one for three years -a single bowl - LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!

• martinmec
    11 years ago

I have had the double bowl farm house sink in my home for 5 years (about $310). I keep bleach and CLR close by. A banana peel actually stained the sink, and no matter how many times I treat it, it comes back, sort of like a carpet stain. Also picked up some minor scratches that I have not been able to remove. But all in all, it's a terrific value and I would buy it again. In fact, I just bought a single bowl (picture) for a rental across the street (under $200). Ikea should make a 'California' model with at least TWO holes. IF you have a dish washer, California requires an 'air gap' be installed which is sort of a trap in event the drain for the DW gets plugged, it over flows into the sink. I drilled the sink using a brand new diamond bit hole saw (1 3/8' diameter plus, separately purchased an auto guide hole saw arbor) both made by Ridgid. Cost: $40. Not bad, but took some work--plus I voided the sink warranty, if that matters. The white faucet is Ikea also, about $90. Using it again in a fixer I just bought in Honolulu. Since no Ikea exists in Hawaii, I intend to ship sinks and faucets to the contractor. Drum style light fixtures too from Ikea-- two sizes --16" diameter--$39, 11" diameter, $29. I used throughout the house except bath rooms, where I used vapor proof jar style with metal guard, $22 at Lowes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea Single Bowl Farm House sink

This post was edited by martinmec on Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 10:37

• tanajo
    11 years ago

We love our sink! And loved the price! The size is amazing. Photo is before backsplash.

• friedmann
    8 years ago

what about drilling a hole for instahot in the ikea farmhouse sink pictured above?

Who can do that work? Anyone in Denver?

• Ichabod Crane
    8 years ago

I have this sink. It's as good as any other farmhouse sink I've seen. It was easy to install, and has worn well.

• andreagraves
    8 years ago

We bought the double bowl sink, had our cabinets made to custom fit this sink (not IKEA cabinets), and then the installers broke the sink. When we bought a replacement sink, we found out that the new sink is just a little bit deeper from front to back. Now, we have to modify the sink cabinet to accomodate the new sink. You would think that the same sink from IKEA would be exactly the same size.....think again. Just a warning....Otherwise, I love the look of this sink. Time will tell if it holds up, as others have commented.

• longgreenhouse
    8 years ago

I have the single Domsjo, and if I had it to do over again I'd undermount it beneath a granite counter (or Corian). It looks lovely, I don't find it hard to keep clean (I use a magic eraser once or twice a week), but the lip drives me crazy. I'm also short (5'1" and have a hard time reaching over the sink to open my kitchen window from the front. I would have gotten a faucet with a longer forward-reaching neck (mine is Moen which has the sprayer built into the head and I use that a dozen times a day so I don't splash water all over the back edge of the sink). I have one spot about as big as a quarter which has discolored and nothing I do will fix it. I'm afraid to try anything too abrasive because I don't want to take off the shine, but I've used a magic eraser, bartender's friend, and even a tiny bit of steel wool.

• Susan Craft
    8 years ago

For your stain, place a folded paper towel on the stain and soak it with hydrogen peroxide. Let it sit a while. I have removed lots of tough stains this way. Good Luck!

• azkimd777
    8 years ago

Have had this sink since July 2015. Best part of my kitchen remodel. Love it and would highly recommend it. Love the drainage area so water does not discolor my granite and an area to set wet sponges and hand soap.

• DerekKelly McKelvey
    8 years ago

will any apron front sink cabinet work for this sink? or do you have to have a specialty cabinet? I see a standard sink cabinet is 36"...and sink says 37"? Curious if we can make our 36" apron front sink cabinet work?

• Kimberley Aguilar
    8 years ago

It says under the IKEA specs online that the double farm sink from IKEA fits in a 36" cabinet. hope that helps.

• pxlchk1
    8 years ago

I'm wondering about scuffing. Ikea's white pasta bowls get ruined pretty quick with gray scratch/scuff marks. Any white ceramic I've gotten from them has had the same problem. Has anyone had this problem with this sink? I love it and that's my only reservation.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Try BKF for your pasta bowls and white ceramics. (Also for marks in the domsjo.)

• Becca Fort
    8 years ago

I'm debating buying one of these sinks for a house we are building but am wondering if you can have countertop OVER the back (where the faucet hole is).....I've seen a couple pictures where its on top of the counter but am curious about its flexibility going under the counter.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

If you do search here or google "under mount domsjo" you will find plenty of folks who have done this. However, you should know that none of the pros on the old ikeafans site thought this was a good idea.

• pxlchk1
    8 years ago

There are lots of big ol' white enamel sinks out there that you could use for under mounting. Seems like that may be a better solution unless you're looking for that front skirt to be visible.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

I should have mentioned that there are no problems with undermounting the drop-in domsjo, this one:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19822036/

But that's usually not the one that people mean when they ask.

• zilllih
    7 years ago

I have ordered this sink but still debating which faucet to go with. I know it only has one hole, but I have read numerous accounts where others have gently drilled more holes. I would really like a traditional bridge style to go with this sink! Does anyone have advice and pics?

• Brickman House
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

We undermounted the Domsjo sink six years ago when we did our kitchen. Absolutely no problems doing it, and six years later, it's still going strong with no problems. We used the single bowl farmhouse sink (for a prep sink) but it's easily big and deep enough for most people to use as a main sink.

• xtina722
    7 years ago

DO NOT BUY THIS SINK!!!!! OURS CRACKED IN TWO PLACE WHEN IT WAS 7 DAYS OLD!!! We poured hot water in it, not boiling, and it was 65 degrees outside. Our kitchen is brand new- the sink is siliconed to our concrete countertops and our backsplash is grouted to the back of it, we are what you call: completely screwed by shoddy craftsmanship and good looks...

• zilllih
    7 years ago

Oh no, I just bought this yesterday with a whole Ikea Kitchen....I have heard of others who have had it for years with no problems though.

• xtina722
    7 years ago
    from what I've heard, there has been some sort of design/manufacturing change.
  • zilllih
    7 years ago

I hope it was for the good. How long ago did you purchase and have the crack?

• valeriejorgenson
    7 years ago

Ours broke at install...warranty isn't much good 8 hours away from a store.

• Hillary Moore-Embry
    7 years ago

Those whose sinks cracked- how long ago did you purchase them?

• valeriejorgenson
    7 years ago

Ours was new out of the box, purchased in December..$300 shipping charge, $300 sink, $300 fix charge that is not guaranteed to work. We had the counters cut for the unique design...yay.

• zsalmon
    7 years ago

The first sink I had was purchased in late August 2015 and it lasted a few months before cracking (we have a disposal so not sure if that matters, but I don't think if it did the sink would crack on both sides). First it cracked on one side then the other (cracks run from drain up the inside back of the bowls. We picked up the second one in early 2016 and they exchanged it no questions asked. When installing this one we were extra careful not to over tighten the drains. This one cracked within a couple of days. We are still using it as it is not is not yet leaking but the crack can be seen from underneath as well. I am delaying as long as I can hoping they make a design change, if not, I plan to add some extra supports inside the ikea cabinet to see if that will help. I do know that I have seen photos on blogs of units back in 2014 and the underside does not look the same as mine. On the underside between and behind the bowls, the older 2014 units appear to have more material than what mine does.

• Lily Santiago
    7 years ago

I don't understand whey they have not made a stainless farmhouse sink!

• lwfromny
    7 years ago

I researched these sinks extensively because I also was tempted by price. Ultimately I ruled it out because: 1. Wanted a bridge faucet and sprayer and didn't dare drill holes, 2. Ikea too far away and although most people seem happy with sink, if anything went wrong w delivery or install it would cost me more than my savings in delays and labor costs, 3. I wanted under mount and if the sink had problems later I would have to live with it or disrupt my expensive countertop and 4. I have a garbage disposal and fireclay sinks with garbage disposals are at risk of cracking, so I wanted a sink of higher quality and perfect tolerances. In the end I decided the savings weren't worth the risks. So I squeezed the budget elsewhere and got a Kohler Whitehaven for $600 more. I haven't regretted it for a minute.

• jhmarie
    7 years ago

Lily - The Kohler Vault is a stainless farmhouse sink.

Iwfromny - I had the same experience. I am very happy with my Whitehaven though i had to delay my refresh a few months to save up for it.

• bmorepanic
    7 years ago

My neighbor and I both have the single and both have been installed for about 7 years, both as overmount(drop-in) and both installed by two different people in two different ways. My neighbor has a garbage disposal and is installed with undermounted wood supports in standard, framed cabinets. We have no garage disposal and are installed in the older style ikea cabinets with the ikea metal supports. My neighbor drilled out the other two holes (total of three) for sink accessories, we just used the original single hole.

Barkeepers friend is your friend for stains. Make a paste in the sink, lightly scrub all over, leave it for a while - anywhere from a few minutes to overnight and rinse away for a blinding white sink. I only do this about 3-6 months. I watched my neighbors' pet over the holidays and cleaned their kitchen for a surprise gift and some physical therapy for me. Their sink became shiney white with the same treatment.

We have a few small chips, no cracks. My neighbor has no cracks and quite a lot of chips. I would say my neighbor is more a "normal user" with kids and we're a freshly elderly couple.

Both of us have ikea wood counters with issues around the sink - even thought the counters are finished in two different ways and use different sealants. We have issues with a splashy faucet that they don't have but both seem to have issues with water piling up at the mounting.

• PRO
    Havens | Luxury Metals
    7 years ago

You get what you pay for when it comes to sinks!

• PRO
    Charles Amen Cabinet
    6 years ago

as with anything.....perhaps

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor