Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deedles_gw

~Cabinets and Counters and Sinks, Oh my!

deedles
12 years ago

Okay, starting a new thread. Here are the current contenders for cabinets:

Dying to see where Circus found this picture. Anyone ever seen cup pulls like these?

Comments (18)

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I just responded on the other thread, but since you're starting over... :)

My favorite is the wood lower cabinets, yellow upper cabinets and the rooster wallpaper. I think the gray/purple cabinets blend in too much and don't let the wallpaper pop, the way it should, but that's just MHO.

With the wood and yellow and your beautiful green sink and range...I'd bring in red as your main accent color. You could also use green, purple or even blue, in fabrics, etc.

Here is a picture of my rooster fabric from the DAT french country thread. It was supposed to go with the canisters, since everyone seemed to be putting a rooster in their kitchen, I thought these were cute. {{gwi:1662611}}From French Country Kitchen
    {{gwi:1662612}}From French Country Kitchen

Any image search for 'french country roosters' will give you a bunch of choices! Have fun with the planning :)

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I like the gray choice because your stove pops more with it, as well as the pattern in the paper. The gray recedes and lets the others step up.
    I am not in love with the cup pulls near your Chambers stove. The shape does not coordinate well with the handles.... I'd try for something thinner with a taper or curve of some sort.

• shmeal
    12 years ago

The color of the yellow cabinets is nice. I'm not loving the image with the gray cabinets. It just doesn't seem to bring the life to the room that was so wonderfully obvious (if a touch overdone) in your "circus vomit" inspiration picture.

I must have missed a thread somewhere. Is this the sink you are going with? Do the colors of the sink and the range work better in real life than they seem to on my monitor?

I do like the slab doors though. I like how they speak to the doors in the range. But I would suggest finding a more vertical pull rather than the cup pulls. I actually like the pulls from the top picture.

I also agree with Lavender, your room needs a touch of bright, vintage red in there somewhere.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Here's one of my favorite vintage kitchen pictures. Do you have an eating area in your new kitchen? I'm wondering if you'll have a table, chairs, island/stools? Any place for more fabrics and maybe another place for some of your wallpaper...or do you just see it as a backsplash?

You could also make a focal point with the wallpaper and use something else for the backsplash. Maybe beadboard backsplash and beadboard part way up the wall, with the wallpaper above...especially in an eating area. Lots of options :) {{gwi:1662613}}From 1920s kitchen project

• deedles
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lavender: I answered you on the other one, too :)
    Dianolo: Good eye. I do like those pulls though. Can't seem to find them on the web. But yeah, I see what you're saying.
    Shmeal: Good eye on the slab doors, too. I kinda like slab doors, too. The sink does have a slightly bluer cast to it than the stove does. They work together, though but they aren't a perfect match for sure. I will work red in there, too. Even if only in curtains/bowls/canisters, etc.

Okay, lavender here is something I found. Wood only and then wood with yellow uppers. I can tell you my DH would be over the moon if I went with the wood only kitchen. Big wood fan. I do like the continuity of it. But the yellow uppers look nice too.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Deedles- I actually like the idea of those glass uppers, with a little darker yellow paint...and maybe some green on the back, to highlight your dishes. That yellow is so light, I don't think it's really working with your wallpaper. Maybe just a shade lighter than the baby chicks?

It might be nice to have some glass uppers, open shelves and solid uppers. Remember, your hardware, cabinet style and choice of trim/moldings will all make a difference. I realize this is just a picture from the computer, but you want everything to flow together and be somewhat 'era appropriate' so I think that's why those other pulls don't work. They look more early 1900s than 1930s to 1950s.

You may not have seen this last post I added, but do you have an eating area, in your new kitchen? Island with stools? Any kind of a floorplan that we can see?

• deedles
    Original Author
    12 years ago

here's the link to the architects page with this kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: wood kitchen

• deedles
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm planning on glass uppers flanking the sink and open shelves over my prep counter (haha, prep counter. In a kitchen this small...it's all prep counter at some point) No eating area in the kitchen, no island but our 'river porch' opens directly off the kitchen and that's where we like to sit and eat now. Will have large windows (relatively speaking) over the sink...at least 48" wide, maybe a little more. You know, I do have a screen shot of the floor plan...

Where you see the appliances positioned is where they are going to be. The cabinets/pantry/fittings are, of course, open for possibilities. The other factor is that the way the house is situated, you have to enter, go through the kitchen and then into the rest of the house. There is no door to the living room directly. It's weird but there you have it. We've considered adding a 'front door' but it ate so much of the living space that it just wasn't worth it. Anyway, all the good stuff is not on the 'front' side of the house. The river and yard are all in the back which is the functional 'front' for us. Probably none of this matters anyway. Here is a rendering of the front:

It's a goofy little house, but we love it. Heres why:

well, lots to think about and now lots to do. Check back with you all later!

• hlove
    12 years ago

Beautiful property!
    I like the wood bases, especially since the range and the sink are not the same color. It makes them "pop". And I like the idea of colorful upper cabs, too. I'm not feeling the wallpaper, though, although it has nothing to do with the roosters, which I love. Something about the gray background, I think. But maybe that's just personal taste...I like the rooster fabric lavenderlass posted, fwiw.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Oh, I remember this kitchen. This is so cute, with the river porch :)

Your range and sink are going to be perfect! I don't suppose you can show any exposed brick, on the back of that fireplace? What's that little area, behind the fireplace? Can you move the fride over enough to put the microwave on the left? You could have it on an open shelf, maybe with some display above?

Since it's a smaller home (so is mine) I would tie that color scheme from the entry, through the kitchen and into the living room. Maybe bring vintage fabrics into the spaces for curtains, cushions, pillows, etc. Do you need a big dining table for everyday? Maybe a smaller table (with leaves) and then you could have a little seating area on one end. Then, use those chairs, when you need more seating at the dining table. It's a great house and a wonderful view!

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Hlove- I think the wallpaper background is much more of a lavender/gray in real life, which will look very nice, with the other elements, in the kitchen. If it were me, I'd hang a few bunches of lavender somewhere in the kitchen, to pick up that lavender/gray and the green. But, obvously I love lavender :)

It might also be nice to include some old pewter pieces (maybe a tray or pitcher) that you could take out onto the porch. A little older than the chrome, but it would bring in a less shiny gray. You could also add some lavender in the porch, to tie things together. Just a little bit can make a big difference...but I'd still make yellow, red and the green my main color scheme. And the wood, of course.

Did you say you're going to have wood floors?

• bellajourney
    12 years ago

Disclaimer - I'm not a designer (and not nearly as talented as many of the wonderful people on here!). But what popped into my head was - Your sink, stove and wallpaper are soooo pretty and vibrant. I would want them to take center stage. Have you considered white cabinets at all?

Here's a (very) crude mockup with a few of the uppers in white (well, sort of white!). You could paint the back to match the wallpaper, or stove, or just leave it white too. Also - love the chicken wire on the cabinets! Too much fun with your wallpaper! And the suggested red accents would be so pretty.

(If you hate it, no worries! Just thought I would throw it out there.)

Best wishes with your beautiful kitchen!

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

Bella, I think white would work quite well, too, and your photoshop looks great. The constraint is that Deedles has always had painted white cabs and said in another thread that she is sick of them. :-)

Deedles, I feel badly for misleading you -- that photo is actually a gray cabinet photoshopped to turn it orchid, and the nickel pulls turned a bit purple along the way. I was just focusing on the gray-purple as a cabinet paint color option. Sorry!

I'm also not sure the cup pulls are quite the right resonant style for your wallpaper and Chambers? They are very 20's and the rest of your style is very '40's. Something in black iron maybe?

Lavender, those pics are great -- remember that Deedles' chicken wallpaper and range are explicitly 1940's in theme and colors; your roosters are all a much more modern version.

• bellajourney
    12 years ago

circuspeanut - Oops! Didn't realize that Deedles was sick of white. Sorry!

Deedles - Just wanted to add that your kitchen is so fun and different! I look forward to seeing it take shape and come to life! :)

• deedles
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hlove: The thought has also occurred to me that the color difference between the sink and stove might be minimized with wood lowers. I know the paper looks grey but it is definitely a lavender-ey grey in real life.
    Lavender: you have a good memory! Don't think there will be brick on the fireplace. The contenders right now are the same stone that you see on the outside of the house (there is a wall of it in the kitchen right now that we could repurpose) or something river-rock-ish. We could do anything finish-wise since it's going to be gutted to the studs. The fireplace only exists on the plan...there is no fireplace currently so that's totally open, too. The only thing I was kind of wanting and I thought the back of the fireplace might be a good spot is a place to hang all my cast iron pans. I was thinking I could use the pine boards either the honey or the white washed (or something else. It'll be easier for you if you always insert "or something else" after every idea that I have, lol)there to have something to put hooks into. That fridge wall between the door and back of the fireplace is about 93", give or take. I was wanting to have (going left from the fireplace wall) a 36" wide pantry, a 30" or 32" fridge and whatever I have left for a base next to the doorway... maybe a 24 or 21". I don't use a microwave so that's not a factor. I was thinking the base to the left of the fridge could be my coffee 'bar' area.

This entry:

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/laundry-room-with-a-view-traditional-laundry-room-toronto-phvw-vp~77496)

[traditional laundry room design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-laundry-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_753~s_2107) by toronto general contractor HARDROCK CONSTRUCTION'
    is almost exactly how my entry layout will look, door/wall layout wise except you'd be looking at my stove through the doorway instead of the DW.
    And this:

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-entry-traditional-entry-minneapolis-phvw-vp~368872)

[traditional entry design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-entryway-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_741~s_2107) by minneapolis kitchen and bath Rik Lalim
    is generally how it's going to be finished. Honey pine ceiling, whitewashed pine wall, bench and some little bit of storage. I was thinking that whatever flooring I choose for the kitchen will carry out to the entry so as not to chop it up too much. It's going to double as an entry/mudroom.
    As for the porch, I was thinking a small table for the two of us with leaves or extenders for the times when we have ten or more people over to eat inside. So, you see that all the main living spaces need to have a cohesive feel or a flow to the design/decor. I'm feeling that you are understanding it. I know the fabrics, curtains pillows will go a long way towards that 'flow'.
    And thank you (and everyone) again for your time. This is way more fun not to mention more productive than only having myself for feedback.

• deedles
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bella. You know. I really like that. Can I amend my fatigue to an "all white" kitchen? (ducking to avoid rotten tomatoes flying at me).

I do like that white upper. What if the uppers were whitewashed so some knots showed through?

(Which takes me back nearly full circle to the beginning of this process months ago with the wood lowers and whitewashed uppers. Rofl....)

I wrote to the architect of that kitchen to find out what the wood and finish is on the cabinets. I am liking that white upper.

(Let me go see if I have a hammer nearby to beat myself in the head a little...)

• deedles
    Original Author
    12 years ago

SOMEbody needs to start making anodized cabinet hardware! Can you just see how cool that would be in the right era kitchen? Or the right kitchen any era? Why couldn't they anodize pulls, they do it to everything else?
    See, there is a great business opportunity in this.
    Don't worry for misleading me, I know that color is impossible to find online. I've looked.
    And Lavender: I didn't say wood floors. That too will be a long meander down the possibility path. I am very fond of the real linoleum stuff, though. No tile or hard stuff, hurts my back. I love the colors that Forbo has in linoleum and have always wanted a diagonal checkerboard design. I've thought of cork and wood (have that currently) but we are so hard on our wood floors (not to mention that it's all over the walls and ceilings), not to mention this dude:

So, what I know about floors right now is that we will definitely have some.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I (and I am not a fan of wood cabinets) really like the warm wood against your sink and the wall paper. Now, I like that particular wood stain and if it was darker or lighter I don;t know if it would look as nice. I actually like those specific cabinets, especially with the little feet with your sink. They seem to both evoke the same era. Uppers in white with glass would work as well.

But the wood I think is a real contender.