Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenfenn

wood stain cabs with wood floors--pics please?

luckyj
16 years ago

I'm trying to broaden my horizons beyond white cabinets. If you have wood floors with a wood stained cabinets, what did you choose that would be a nice contrast witout being too overwhelming in the wood throughout. I keep coming back to a hickory cabinet (I like the grain), but in a more medium colored stain (see link below). However, I have red oak floors in "nutmeg" color, which is practically the exact same color, shade, and a really similar grain. I guess this is why I like the cabs so much. Lots of pictures show these wood cabinets in this shade with a stone or tile floor, so I'm having a hard time seeing what a medium stained cabinet might actually look like with my floors.

I'd love to see some pictures if you have any to share. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: picture of hickory stain color

Comments (16)

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

We have Brazilian Teak floors with Alder cabinets and a Medium stain. The floor is about 2 shades lighter than the cabinets.

• abbycat9990
    16 years ago

Natural maple cabinets with pre-existing oak floors. Based on the color of the old spare pieces (found in attic) we used to patch a spot, the floors have yellowed a bit. Still a nice, honey color.

• alanandnancy
    16 years ago

Timely question for us, as we picked carbonized bamboo (amber) and Merillat maple cabinets with a toffee color stain. With samples of each, depending on where I stand and how the light is, I'm alternately convinced and not convinced they'll do well together. Unfortunately I have found very few photos of wood floor-wood cabinet kitchens to help either one of us. Hoping others chime in.

I think your choice will look fine if you have a contrasting countertop and the right paint. But I'm at the beginning of this journey and no expert.

I grew up in a white kitchen in a white house, and I guess I've gone out of my way to avoid them, even though they are in such vogue!
    --Nancy

• meg711
    16 years ago

When we picked our floor stain color, we were aiming for some contrast with our medium-stained cabinets, but we didn't want the floor so dark that it would show dust and scratches, or make our house seem too dark. We (or I) didn't realize how varied the individual floor boards were so the sample stain didn't give an accurate picture of what the entire floor would look like--at least to me.

All that being said, when we tried the first stain, it just blended into the cabinet and there was no contrast. We added nutmeg until we got what we thought was enough contrast. If I had to do it over, though, I think I would go a little darker. I think it's the golden orange tone that might be the issue. Anyway, our island has a darker reddish brown stain, so there's nice contrast between the island and the floor.

Here's a photo although there's not much floor showing:

• Flowerchild
    16 years ago

Here is our floor with the dark cherry island:

Here is the floor with the maple cabinets but the floor came out darker in this pic than it is in real life.

Here is how it looks with both. I will try to get a better shot and post it for you later today. The lighting makes the floor look a bit orange which it isn't.

• luckyj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great pictures all. This is helping me see that wood on wood can not be too overwhelming. I think that the suggestions for some kind of contrast (whether in countertops or paint) is a good one. I'd love to see more pictures if possible. Such beautiful kitchens!

• alku05
    16 years ago

We got our contrast from the countertops. Here's ours:

• luckyj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

alku, your kitchen is beautiful! I've admired it before. Can you tell me where you got your pendants?

• mommycooks
    16 years ago

Aha! I snapped shots to share, then couldn't find this thread again. We have bamboo floors and "praline" stained maple cabinets. Hope these help. First shot is a closeup of the floor/cabinet joint, although with the flash it looks more washed out than it really is. Second one is a wider shot of the kitchen "alley".

and

• alexamd
    16 years ago

We have cherry cabinets with oak floors. The floors matche the rest of our house. Our counters are dark which give some contrast.

• luckyj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! Thanks for all the fabulous pictures so far.

mommycooks, I'm so glad that you found the thread and could post. I'm liking that praline color a lot!

alexamd, those cabinets are beautiful...and since my floors are oak too, you've got me thinking. What's that stain color? And those pendants are really amazing too.

I just keep going back and forth on the white or stained. My kitchen doesn't get a lot of natural light and it's only 13x17'. I'm worried that it's too small to have the wood on wood look, but I want something that's warm and cozy.
    Do you think that in my small space that it's too much wood?

• zelmar
    16 years ago

our kitchen is 13'x16'. The floors are original light maple (house built in 1913).

I think having the wood broken up with glass doors, non-paneled appliances, and windows helps keep the wood from feeling over-powering.

{{gwi:1570742}}

• gfiliberto
    16 years ago

I have cream painted cabinets and a dark stained island with a medium stained wood floor. I like there to be a contrast betwen the cabinet and the floor.

• alexamd
    16 years ago

Thank you. They are natural cherry. I actually wanted mahongany...like Zelmar's and ordered them. After I ordered them, my cabinet maker called me and asked me to change my mind. He wasn't happy with the mahogany stock he was getting and was having trouble matching the grain. It was a hard decision to switch. My reservation with the natural cherry is that it is lighter than I like when it is new, but I love it when it ages and reddens. All in all, I am happy and will be happier as it darkens. My grain is nicely matched.

My pendants are Kichler and match my bargain $18 chandelier!

• alku05
    16 years ago

Luckyj, the pendants are from Seagull Lighting's Sussix collection. They are widely available, and I bought them from whomever was cheapest at the moment... 1stoplighting.com I think. They are inexpensive; less than $40 apiece. Probably the only thing in the entire kitchen that we came in under budget on!

• sdionnemoore
    16 years ago

I so appreciate this thread. We're almost certain we'll be going with wood floors and it's nice to see the color combinations others decided on.