Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soibean

First Look - White and Cherry Shaker Kitchen Almost Done

soibean
11 years ago

A year and a half since we started planning, four months since demolition day, and we are nearly done. I have to say, so far, I love everything about the new kitchen, and I owe so much of it to GW!

I am not trying to be "timeless" or "classic". I have tried to be true to my own contemporary aesthetic. I'm saving a bit of personality for the backsplash, which is on order and won't be installed for a couple of months.

When the last few bits are finished, I will also post pictures of the eating area, mudroom, and family room, which were all part of the renovation. Plus I'll add some before pictures and some pics of my favorite gadgets and accessories. For now, I'm just so excited that I had to share!

Comments (54)

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

Very beautiful!

• soibean
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jentrex - the faucet in the island is by Rubinet. I saw a similar one in mamadadapaige's kitchen, and it was almost exactly what I was looking for. The granite is called "Snowflakes" - the veining is not as linear as river white, and it has less cream in it. I searched for months to find a granite and just happened to see this one on my fifth trip to that supplier. Was going to get quartzite, but just couldn't afford it. We are very happy with it so far.

chelsea52 - the cabinets are custom, by the GW-famous Dutch Wood. The perimiter cabinets are maple painted BM Dove White, the island is cherry with a mahogany stain.

fourkids4us - the sink wall is 9.5' long, the cooktop wall (including wall ovens) is 17' 10". Fridge wall is 8' 9"; there is actually a door beyond the fridge and then another wall with a pantry cabinet. Island is 7' x 4.5'. Aisle width is slightly different for each section (due to various constraints), but smallest is about 40" and largest about 42". Wish I had a little more between the fridge and the island, which is the major traffic area, but just couldn't fit it.

• chiefy
    11 years ago

Ooh - Gorgeous. Love, love, love that island. What type of granite is that?

• Laura517
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! LOVE IT! Great job! Love the granite with the cherry island! We will have something similar...Where did you get your cup pulls and knobs?

• Molly Phillips
    11 years ago

Awesome! Beautiful! What backsplash did you choose to add the personality you mentioned? (Only asking out of curiosity - leaving it blank is still lovely)

Most importantly, where did you get your pendants?

• purrus
    11 years ago

Beautiful!

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

Stunning! I really love the combination of the counter with the cherry island. And the pendants are really lovely.

• mjocean
    11 years ago

Very beautiful. I especially like the pendants and granite. Enjoy!

• rebeccamomof123
    11 years ago

Well done! Beautiful taste - I also love the pendant lights. Hope you enjoy this lovely space for many, mnay years!

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

Gorgeous!!!!!!!!

Are those the Juliska pendants? Love them.

And wait a second.....are those inset cabinets????

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

Gorgeous!!!!!!!!

Are those the Juliska pendants? Love them.

And wait a second.....are those inset cabinets????

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Very lovely and functional, like all the storage. A person could actually cook in there.

• sanjuangirl
    11 years ago

I don't blame you for being excited!!! It's gorgeous! The Cherry and warm white look stunning together. Would love a peek inside the drawers.....

• taggie
    11 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!! Wow, that granite is heart-stopping, and I just love your glass cabs and the whole layout. Terrific!

What are the little cabinets in the counter-height cab beside the coffee maker? Or are they drawers?

Great job, congratulations!!

• soibean
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

chiefy76 - the granite is called "Snowflakes". I only saw it at one supplier, and that was on my fifth trip or so. We were about to buy something else when I walked by it and decided to take it on the spot. For anyone in the Boston area, I can tell you where I found it if you're interested.

Laura517 - the pulls are RH Gilmore 4" in polished nickel. The knobs and appliance handles are Amerock Highland Ridge in polished nickel.

lovetodream - the backsplash will be Seneca Tile Glassic crackled glass tile, 4x4 in three different colors. Hope I can pull it off. The pendants are called Clarity, by WAC Lighting; a lot of places seem to carry them. I was really worried when they were installed that they are too small for the island, so I'm encouraged that people like them.

bee - yes, the cabinets are inset. Not frameless, unfortunately. Actually, I did a combination of inset and full overlay, though I wish I had done inset throughout. The drawers are mostly full overlay. I have two sets of F&P DishDrawers (one set next to the cooktop, one in the island...long story, it's a kosher kitchen). I was inspired by seeing how Dutch Wood did the panels for your DishDrawers, so I knew that Jason could make the panels line up with the other drawers in the run. And thanks to your warning about the remote control in the new models, I found the older models with the control panels on the front! Jason did so many custom things for me, I couldn't be happier. I could do a whole post just on the little customizations.

• soibean
    Original Author
    11 years ago

taggie - just saw your post. The apothecary drawers beside the coffee maker were one of my little extras - I wanted a place to store k-cups easily and conveniently. They're great!

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

Beautiful, all of it.

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

that is beautiful! i love the natural brightness and the pendants are gorgeous!

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

Really nice. Love the glass doors. .
    Enjoy!

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

smacking my head...

duh, inset, not frameless....

of course they do inset...

It must be the daily snow here that is making me lose my mind. I feel like I'm in The Shining...

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Really lovely.
    I like the surprise touches of blue, the pulls, the white, the cherry.
    Heck, I like the whole darn thing.
    Can't wait to see the ''personality'' in the backsplash!

Thank you for sharing.

• Linda
    11 years ago

Beautiful! Can't wait to see the BS!

• scrappy25
    11 years ago

soibean, just a stunning kitchen! I would love to see a post on all your customizations! Pretty please.

• westleyandbuttercup
    11 years ago

Gorgeous!

• ppbenn
    11 years ago

Beautiful! And DW went to Boston?
    Really like the cherry Island with that white granite. Wish I could find it, the granite, here in Pa.
    Cant wait to see the BS

• deedles
    11 years ago

Very, very lovely. Yes a post on your customizations and if you have any clever drawer uses/organizers. Love the arched window, BTW. Very nicely done.

• parks
    11 years ago

It's all great! What is that blue color? Soooo pretty. I LOVE the k-cup idea in the apothecary drawers. Very clever! I wish I had read that before my cabinets were ordered!!

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Everything about your new kitchen is simply lovely. I can't decide which element I like the best- must be because they all work so well together.
    Congratulations on a job well done.

• rebeccamomof123
    11 years ago

Kosher kitchen - than Mazel tov!!;) I am in the Boston area, and would LOVE to know where you got that granite. My kitchen starts next week and we have to pick out our granite this weekend. Thanks in advance. Again - enjoy your spectacular space. (PS: Love the k-cup drawers!)

• Sherrie Moore
    11 years ago

Very beautiful!! Just the style that I am planning for my remodel. Looks great can't wait to see more pictures!

• localeater
    11 years ago

Looks beautiful, just seems to exude a feeling of calm. I love those pendants.

• karin_mt
    11 years ago

Wow!

I will join the chorus of fans who love your pendants! So cool yet not at all distracting like many pendants can be.

And the Snowflakes granite, wow, you scored with that one! It actually reads a lot like marble in the photos.

The overall design reflects a lot of thought and everything plays together nicely. You must have really sweated the details and the result is brilliant. Congratulations!

• Jfay
    11 years ago

So Pretty. Every white kitchen I see pulls be back to that style.

I like the mix of inset cabinets for your uppers and overlay for the lowers. Did you choose "ultra overlay" for the drawers?

Thanks for the sneak peek.

• mjocean
    11 years ago

Soibean,

Please tell us your paint color.
    MJ

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

STUNNING!!!

• soibean
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ppbenn - Dutch Wood delivered to us, but did not measure or install; that was done by the GC. I thought they were going to use a shipping company, but they actually drove everything up themselves! Working with them was really a pleasure.

parks/mjocean - the paint color is BM November Skies (2128-50). There is a lot more of it in the eating area and mudroom, still being finished.

Rebeccamom123 - we got the granite from CBS Exotic Stones in Winchester. www.cbsstones.com It would be worthwhile to call and see if they have it in stock - they told me it sells out as soon as they get it in, with white granites being so popular these days. It's worth a trip there in any case because they always have a great selection of beautiful slabs.

karin_mt - yes, I sweated every single detail! I am a systems analyst/designer by trade and an analyst/designer by nature. I was essentially my own KD and it took me a year until I was satisfied with the layout and design. It was while researching appliances that I found GW and I've stuck around ever since. And your help was invaluable to us in selecting a countertop - it allowed us to feel confident of the type of stone we were seeing, regardless of how it may have been labeled. DH holds you in such high esteem, he called to tell me - "if karin_mt likes the kitchen, that is truly high praise!".

Anyway, I love to cook, and everything is optimized/tailored to the way I work. Suddenly getting everything I've wished for all at once, I'm like a kid in a candy store!

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

I think you were the kitchen that Dutchwood delivered two days before installing mine. They had to put my install off a day because they got stuck in snow and got back very late from Boston. They did not have time to load the truck so put me off for day. No worries, I was fine with that.
    Really do love your kitchen!

Question:do you have magnetic catches at the base of your doors? I have them at the top only but my doors are very tall and with the glass they are a bit more flexible so am considering magnetic catches at the bottom as well. This will keep doors from getting warped BUT the catch will be in the way.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Love love love those pendant lights.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Beautiful. I love everything, but I really love your frig pulls.

Just a really nice and warm space. Well done.

• Gooster
    11 years ago

Congratulations! Everything is coming along beautifully. I have a similar color combination in construction right now, so I am so glad to see your photos. I especially like your counters, there is great movement to them. I see there are small red flecks in there, which ties to your island color nicely.

• Laura517
    11 years ago

I can't stop looking at your photos!
    I am in RI not too far from Boston and am in search of granite for our new kitchen, so please do share where you found the "Snowflakes"- it is gorgeous!

Thank you!

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

Lovely, simply lovely. I would love to cook in that kitchen. Well done!

• soibean
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Laura517 - check with CBS Exotic Stones in Winchester, MA. cbsstones.com

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

beautiful!

• MarinaGal
    11 years ago

Really beautiful! The layout looks well thought through - I was appreciating all of the details. Add me to the chorus of people who are praising your pendant lights - very elegant and simple at the same time. Congrats on your remodel!

• sbp725
    11 years ago

I'm new to this board, but just had to jump in to say this is gorgeous!

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Just lovely! Love how the glass pendants mirror the glass in the doors. The granite is perfect. Great job. Congratulations!

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Love your kitchen, soibean, did quick search to find the reveal after you posted in another thread. Are you in the ABB club? I'm stressing about the size of my island, width of walkways, and scale of pendants, and all 3 are similar in your kitchen! Do you ever rethink those things, now? It all looks amazing in pictures!

• tbo123
    10 years ago

Booooootiful..
    I want one just like that:)

2 quick questions if I may.
    Were the cabinets sprayed or brushed?
    Do you know the size of the stiles and rails of the doors?
    Thanks. Great job.

• soibean
    Original Author
    10 years ago

kksmama - you can see the finished kitchen post with my backsplash. I linked to it below. I probably should have been ABB longer because my first attempt was a disaster and I decided to pay to have it ripped out and replaced with something completely different. And even the new one, I assumed that the tiles would be spaced further apart with more prominent grout lines but found out too late I was wrong.

tbo123 - cabinets were sprayed. I tried measuring the stiles and rails - they seem to be 2 5/16" wide.

Here is a link that might be useful: final reveal thread

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES